Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Leaf Matrix Inserts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I think I am going to start a separate thread with just the word "Leaf" in the title and see what kind of fun we can get within that thread.
This company bashing is getting old and this is coming from someone who has not bought a modern Leaf card since 1990!! Come on guys....we are better than this. So you dont like the cards or the company but what good is it to call the President of the company names and throw around comments that make one look foolish. Take it up with him via PM or email. And no...I am not talking to Bob Loblaw in this case as Jeff at least doesnt hide behind a keyboard and lob baseless insults towards Brian....they at least talk it out like real adults do regardless of the outcome.

I for one still do not fully understand what this new etching "stuff" is and would like to see a card in person to really make a decision. I know scans and photos dont do most modern cards justice so I will withhold my opinion until I see something in hand. That might have to wait until the National but at least I can them make an educated opinion on a product.

I respect Brian as a person and I admire his accomplishments, of which there are many. However, when all is said and done, and Brian's final pack is opened, I don't forsee "colored etching" as being one of the things he's remembered for. I tend to harp on statements that strike me as odd. This whole thread is based on colored etching; was it that this "technology", if you call it that, was not available since cards in the early 90s were first etched, or was it that no one cared to put colored etching on what was primarily a colored card (most Topps cards used a background, not a metal colored background with a player superimposed on same)?

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I respect Brian as a person and I admire his accomplishments, of which there are many. However, when all is said and done, and Brian's final pack is opened, I don't forsee "colored etching" as being one of the things he's remembered for. I tend to harp on statements that strike me as odd. This whole thread is based on colored etching; was it that this "technology", if you call it that, was not available since cards in the early 90s were first etched, or was it that no one cared to put colored etching on what was primarily a colored card (most Topps cards used a background, not a metal colored background with a player superimposed on same)?

As I mentioned I am going to withold comment until I actually see the card but Jeff I think I generally agree with you from what I have read and seen here. I remember when Finest debuted and honestly, that was a game changer on the hobby. On the surface I dont think this etching will be a game changer as much as some of the other advances in the hobby have been. I might be blown away when I actually see the card in hand but as of right now, Jeff I certainly agree with you.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think you realize that THE ETCHING IS COLORED!

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008

Technology was not available.... BG

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
This is what I was trying to get at. The extension of the "seams" on the ball, outside the ball just look weird to me. It's those little things that just throw it off a little.
Haha, well, you agreed with a typo. I meant to say Broder-y. But I agree with what you thought I meant, too :D

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
etch-fetch. When BG (or anyone else) comes up with something cooler than dufex, then I'll be impressed. Dufex was, without equal, the coolest card technology EVER.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
etch-fetch. When BG (or anyone else) comes up with something cooler than dufex, then I'll be impressed. Dufex was, without equal, the coolest card technology EVER.

I love (and am working on something similar to) dufex... bg

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I still want to see them in person before passing a judgement. The Valiant cards look MUCH better in person than scans. I'm expecting the same.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Colored Etching? Panini Prizm Pylon Parallels ( 1/1 ) Isn't this the new Leaf exclusive stuff.

Or is it just the scans?

wolfe1.jpg

allen1.jpg

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The Leaf hate is just annoying at this point. Their products are not for everybody. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

I had a card that came out of a pack damaged once from Leaf (then Razor) and it was replaced within two weeks with a better card. UD on the other hand recently kept me on the phone for 45 minutes and I had to go through like 5 emails because of a card that was completely mangled.

I got my Leaf wrestling redemptions extremely quickly too. Still waiting on a Topps redemption from 2010 though... And don't get me started on Topps' CS (or lack of...)

As far as putting out the effort to make the customer happy and solving product issues, Leaf is without question the best company out there right now IMO.

And here BG is showing something (whether you consider it a major advancement or not is irrelevant) new with several pissing all over it. Have you seen them in person? No. I for one am curious. How in ANY way, is this a bad thing? Going back to what I said above, don't like it, don't buy it. The complaining and negativity has gotten out of control. People wonder why less and less people show up here anymore.

Your statement talks about a 'hobby infrastructure', if you will, that likes to put down products. It makes me think of the 'hobby infrastructure' that supports products as well.

Its like there's a secret society in our little hobby that tries to manipulate the flow of hobby dollars or something.

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
I may be wrong, but don't most of the card companies get their stuff printed through the same place? So a "technology" available to one, would be available to all. Right?

The Matrix cards sure look pretty though.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
I love (and am working on something similar to) dufex... bg

Brian,
Have SJ call me about similar products to dufex, I have some items you may want to see. Congrats on the printed etching, I know that it's a serious process to obtain the effect and while I know how to do it, I'm still questioning the production steps myself. Registration looks good in the scans and seems like these will be a quality card. It's funny how much work actually goes into these isn't it? I bet only a very small handful of people actually understand the sheer craftsmanship it takes to make these cards.

Best of luck with the release. I spoke with SJ last week on the phone from Portland. If that doesn't ring a bell please PM me.

~CB

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Colored Etching? Panini Prizm Pylon Parallels ( 1/1 ) Isn't this the new Leaf exclusive stuff.

Or is it just the scans?

wolfe1.jpg

allen1.jpg

I was just about to ask the same question. Seems like Leaf was the first to show it off to the public, but Panini was the first to get it on the market.

I don't really care who does it first (everyone rips everyone else's stuff anyway). What matters is if the card looks good. In this case, Leaf's look good.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
We showed this technology off for the first time ever at the industry summit in Las Vegas.. Innovation in this industry doesn't last long I guess.. BG

Members online

Latest posts