Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A crazy situation that happened in my shop today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
I've been the son. Call the cops in the AM and file a report, do not give a person like that father a chance to mess with you. You do not want to get bogged down in family issues. It sucks but the best you can do is call the cops and leave it to them, you will be doing the kid a favor. What's past is past, you can't do anything about that, but you have to protect yourself and let the chips fall where they may. Getting the authorities involved in any way is the best thing for that kid.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
As a business owner, it's your responsibility to turn the kid in. He's still a minor and if his dad won't scare him straight, hopefully the police will. They will also demand that your product is returned. You need to focus on running your business, not some crazy dad and his klepto kid.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
For the love of God call the cops asap. You have his admittance, you have YouTube videos proving he has the boxes, you have threats levied against you.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Wow, some leaps about dad were made here and it seems like if he really wasnt that great a dad, he wouldnt have come to the store and let his kid handle it. Dad asked for the kid not to be allowed in the store so it seems like he was taking steps.

I'm not blaming the OP by any means but I think next time when a parent tells me to not let the kid in, you should make sure to follow that so you dont get into this type of situation.

Also, call the police. I think the kid needs a lesson no one involved will be able to teach him.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
About 2 hours later his dad comes into my store and I can see he is steaming. He starts screaming at me that I am the cause of his son’s problems and that he never game me the permission to let his son back into my store. He even went has far as to say that he feels like he should knock me the F*ck out for helping cause his sons problems and that it is because of my store that his son is obsessed with cards. I try to explain to him that I have done everything in my power to keep his son socializing with other sports fans and collectors while trying to keep him on a healthy path of collecting.

First bold: It's a mistake to ever allow someone to enter your domain to act like that. Interrupt them and tell them to leave if they don't respect you by calming down.

Second bold: Sounds like you've stepped a bit beyond the friendly neighborhood shop owner duties. It's great that you allow your shop to be a place for sports fans and collectors to hang out, but the phrasing there is a bit closer to 'family/close friends' than it is to 'shop owner'.

It also sounds like your loss prevention strategies could use some imporvement.

None of my notes above are meant to suggest that you were in the wrong for trying to give the kid a non-legal way out of this situation. That was very nice of you. If his dad doesn't calm down and accept that route, it sounds like you've gotten plenty of reasonable advice already.

And I don't think you were wrong to let the kid back in your store after a few month layoff. You actually did more than necessary in working with the dad on the ban in the first place. You asked the kid and he lied. It's not your responsibility to make sure the kid follows rules set for him by his parents.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
Call the cops and mention to them what the father said to you about knocking you the XXXX out.

While you can be a "good guy" and give the dad/son a chance to repay for the cards that were stolen, apologize, etc., from the perspective of protecting yourself, it's best to call the police and file a report before you open your store today. Fact of the matter is that the kid's under 18 and the parents will be held responsible for restitution, etc. You'll be able to accept the stolen cards as restitution if you so please, which I imagine you will considering you appear to be fairly level-headed. Any sort of misdemeanor he's convicted of will go on his juvenile record which will be expunged in a few years so it's not like you're marking him for life.

He should get the message then and with regards to the dad, if he still insists on being a dick, then I'd contemplate getting a restraining order.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
In business, nice guys finish last. To this point you've been way too nice to this kid and his degenerate father. If someone's father hands out a disciplinary action it isn't your responsibility to enforce it and by your story I fully believe that you did not let the kid back in the store knowing he was not allowed in it anymore.

It may feel uncomfortable and like you're not doing the right thing but you have to call the cops, the ONLY other option is a full immediate refund of either cash/product and it must be immediate so that they aren't jerking you around. But if that option doesn't happen call the cops because I can guarantee he will find a way to come back and steal more from you or just create more of a headache for you. The quickest way to solve this issue is to get the cops involved and set this kid and his father straight

A_Pharis

The worst thing in that kid's life is his father. Displacing he blame on you is a huge red flag.
You should be praised for trying to help a kid out who seems like he might be a loner. At the first signs of trouble - you did the right things. As far as letting him back in your shop, how are you to know when/where his punishment stops. It's not your job to be his parent, and you were doing a better job at it, too.

Just call the cops and have it squared away properly. The kid will get a spot on his record but nothing that will cripple him for life. The father needs to be nabbed for the threats and to be held accountable for the theft.

jtrinaldi

May 31, 2012
The worst thing in that kid's life is his father. Displacing he blame on you is a huge red flag.
You should be praised for trying to help a kid out who seems like he might be a loner. At the first signs of trouble - you did the right things. As far as letting him back in your shop, how are you to know when/where his punishment stops. It's not your job to be his parent, and you were doing a better job at it, too.

Just call the cops and have it squared away properly. The kid will get a spot on his record but nothing that will cripple him for life. The father needs to be nabbed for the threats and to be held accountable for the theft.
This would likely come off of his record at age 18, providing he stays out of trouble.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
This would likely come off of his record at age 18, providing he stays out of trouble.

And because of the nature of the crime it will be either plead out or a sealed juvenile record with restitution, community service, and a fine.

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
#1 I would call the cops tomorrow, first thing in the morning and file a report. Once the kid starts stealing at that level it is not going to end up anywhere good. The dad's threats included you want to be out ahead of the game before daddy and son say you touched him or some bs.

#2 If the kid came back after a month or two of not being around and said dad said it was ok, it is not your responsibility to call the parents.

#3 I would have banned him when he kept coming in with $5 and asked him to come in with an adult.

#4 This kid seems to have other issues and dad seems to have issues as well.
I agree with you on your thought process of this whole situation. It's not your responsibility for the kids' actions and you need to let the cops deal with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts