Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thanks for the help... Jackie Robinson Cut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I recently picked up this item on eBay. The item in the bottom right corner is a 2001 Prospect Premieres Jackie Robinson Cut Autograph. After hitting the BIN it occurred to me to me that the card have been attached in a way that made it impossible to remove. When I messaged the seller he said that he was unsure, but that was why he was selling it together. I had hit the BIN as is so did not ask for a refund.

$T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igtZ9BRZ4TDo4WQ~~60_57.JPG

I got it in the mail today and discovered that it was stuck using some sort of stick of glue.

My first thought it to just put it back together and not try to separate the card. That said, it there was some way to separate it without damaging the card I'd much prefer that route. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Here is the link:

2001 Upper Deck Prospect Premiere Tribute to 42 Jackie Robinson Cut Autograph | eBay

9303349678_eca9925e0e.jpg

Last edited:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
There are clearly two options...leave it put together or try to remove it.

If it were mine, I'd try to remove it assuming that the adhesive to not run edge to edge. Can you "pry" it up on all of the edges? If so, I'd cut the backing out and free that section of the piece. With the aqueous gloss coating, most adhesives would not permanently affect the back. Once removed, I'd figure out exactly where the adhesive is, and work on removing the bulk of the backing. Then, once the backing is removed, I'd see what kind of adhesive is holding it together and use something like alcohol or goo gone (not letting it soak obviously) and work on the adhesive.

The beauty of this method is that if you can't remove it perfectly, you can always matte it again and display or sell as you wish.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I realize you bought it for the card, but that might be one of the nicest displays I have ever seen put together, I would definitely leave it as is.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
What are you looking to do with the card exactly? Clearly if it is clued, the card is not going to come off in gradable condition, etc. So if that's the case, you're screwed. If your goal is to display another way or something, then do what 200lb said... just get off as best you can and either try and clean the back up or matte again or something.

As someone said, good looking piece as is. I think you made a good buy obviously... that frame is probably over $100 or $200 by itself.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
There are clearly two options...leave it put together or try to remove it.

If it were mine, I'd try to remove it assuming that the adhesive to not run edge to edge. Can you "pry" it up on all of the edges? If so, I'd cut the backing out and free that section of the piece. With the aqueous gloss coating, most adhesives would not permanently affect the back. Once removed, I'd figure out exactly where the adhesive is, and work on removing the bulk of the backing. Then, once the backing is removed, I'd see what kind of adhesive is holding it together and use something like alcohol or goo gone (not letting it soak obviously) and work on the adhesive.

The beauty of this method is that if you can't remove it perfectly, you can always matte it again and display or sell as you wish.

I had been leaning towards leaving it and possibly selling it as is, but this made a ton of sense, so I went for it. I was actually very surprised how easily everything but the actual glue came off, so now it's the card alone with some glue on the back. How would you go about using alcohol or goo gone? Would using a paintbrush be a good idea?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I realize you bought it for the card, but that might be one of the nicest displays I have ever seen put together, I would definitely leave it as is.

It was really well done.

What are you looking to do with the card exactly? Clearly if it is clued, the card is not going to come off in gradable condition, etc. So if that's the case, you're screwed. If your goal is to display another way or something, then do what 200lb said... just get off as best you can and either try and clean the back up or matte again or something.

As someone said, good looking piece as is. I think you made a good buy obviously... that frame is probably over $100 or $200 by itself.

When I bought I was unsure what I would do. I figured if I decided to move it, it should be easy to make a little flipping the card, and at the same time the 2001 Prospect Premieres set was one I ripped a ton of back in the day and this was basically "the" card in the set, so I thought I might hold it. But I really only collect cards and had little interest in the piece as a framed unit.

I decided to goo with 200lb's approach and will see what happens. Thanks!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Depending on the type of glue, heating the back of the matting with a hairdryer might soften the glue enough to safely remove the card. I do that with cereal boxes and such when I want to flatten them.

If its more of a scrapbooking or framing glue, they tend to be archival safe and water soluble. Strategically adding water to the backing might soften the glue enough to remove it and clean the back of the card appropriately.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Cool - Let us know what you do and how it goes. It might help us know more next time we hear about something like this or find ourselves in the same position. Good luck!!!

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Depending on the type of glue, heating the back of the matting with a hairdryer might soften the glue enough to safely remove the card. I do that with cereal boxes and such when I want to flatten them.

If its more of a scrapbooking or framing glue, they tend to be archival safe and water soluble. Strategically adding water to the backing might soften the glue enough to remove it and clean the back of the card appropriately.
Like BoB says, it depends on the type of glue. Give me some info and I can give you some suggestions. DON'T use water though. No glue worth a damn is water soluble and it will for sure damage the card. I'm a chemist by trade, so I can at least give you some ideas on what to try. Gentle heating is the best idea, but considering the card is itself glued together, this may cause the card itself to unravel.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Like BoB says, it depends on the type of glue. Give me some info and I can give you some suggestions. DON'T use water though. No glue worth a damn is water soluble and it will for sure damage the card. I'm a chemist by trade, so I can at least give you some ideas on what to try. Gentle heating is the best idea, but considering the card is itself glued together, this may cause the card itself to unravel.

I too have a chemistry background, and I standby the statement that most scrapbooking and professional framing companies use acid-free, water-based, water soluble pastes and paste sticks. It's standard in the business now. I do agree however, using water is a major gamble and I'd want to have a sample of the glue to practice with before applying it.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for all the advise guys. Starting with 200lb's advise I was able to remove everything down to the glue, and just using my hands slowly and carefully, I was able to remove the glue.

A couple of notes:
1) On the back of the card it says they obtained the autograph from Lelands. That's not something they mention anymore.
2) I've noticed that most Jackie checks are yellow. Not sure whether this may be an older signature?

Robinson Jackie 2001 Prospect Premieres Auto 001.jpg

Robinson Cut back 001.jpg

Edit: How do you post bigger pictures with the new system?

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Clearly if it is clued, the card is not going to come off in gradable condition

Not if they used a glue or double sided tape that's not as sticky as duct tape. They obviously did a great/professional job i doubt they went overboard on the glue.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Thanks for all the advise guys. Starting with 200lb's advise I was able to remove everything down to the glue, and just using my hands slowly and carefully, I was able to remove the glue.

A couple of notes:
1) On the back of the card it says they obtained the autograph from Lelands. That's not something they mention anymore.
2) I've noticed that most Jackie checks are yellow. Not sure whether this may be an older signature?

View attachment 19440

View attachment 19439

Edit: How do you post bigger pictures with the new system?

Very cool, its a beautiful card.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Very cool, its a beautiful card.

Thanks!

I remember 10-12 years back ripping packs of 2001 Prospect Premieres and pulling the (unsigned) Jackie bat card as well as the Michael Garciaparra RC Auto (one of the more forgettable players to ever grace the outside of a box of cards). Really cool to have been able to pick this one up.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Thanks!

I remember 10-12 years back ripping packs of 2001 Prospect Premieres and pulling the (unsigned) Jackie bat card as well as the Michael Garciaparra RC Auto (one of the more forgettable players to ever grace the outside of a box of cards). Really cool to have been able to pick this one up.

I am glad it came out cleanly. It really is quite a card.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I too have a chemistry background, and I standby the statement that most scrapbooking and professional framing companies use acid-free, water-based, water soluble pastes and paste sticks. It's standard in the business now. I do agree however, using water is a major gamble and I'd want to have a sample of the glue to practice with before applying it.

That's true about the scrapbooking thing, yeah. What kind of chemistry? I'm organic, working biotech now doing drug dev.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
That's true about the scrapbooking thing, yeah. What kind of chemistry? I'm organic, working biotech now doing drug dev.

I have a BS in Bio with a minor in chemistry and worked in a CDC biochem research lab for a couple of years. Left science to work in defense though.

Members online

Latest posts