Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM - Astros Fail to Sign #1 Pick Brady Aiken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Didnt they realize his elbow may have a problem BEFORE they drafted him??

If someone offered me 5 Million to play baseball I would take it in a heartbeat!!!

No pre-draft medical exam, unfortunately. :(

And he showed no symptoms.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Post-draft. Which is just plain stupid.

I would think something like this would motivate a change in that policy. It's a big wasted pick by the team in the end and the player (Aiken in this case) , is in a poor position too.

Ryan

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Can't believe I'm agreeing with Maxe on a something but I am.
I would like to hear the agents justification of turning down 5 million. Why cause it was 2 million less than the slot amount. Ok but you just lost your client 5 MILLION DOLLARS!!!

I didn't know my position on most things was so disagreed with. I think that I, myself, is pretty In line with what most think.

Glad you agree tho :)

Aiken f'ed up in this situation. I could kinda see it if the final offer was 3 mil and change but when they upped it to 5 mil I don't see why you would decline. Makes no sense for Aiken especially since the Astros look to be veryyyyy good In the next few years

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It was the Union that fought to not allow predraft physicals. That will not change.

They could if their players don't sign contracts. I don't see how a result like this benefits the Union. It's basically a lost player for them with a good bonus. Well see, just seems odd

Ryan

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Where is that story on the guy who passed on signing 4 times and ended up working at a tire center making $12/Hr or something like that!!? maybe it won't end the same way, but it is difficult to have sympathy for anyone who is offered 5 mILLION AND HAS NEVER PLAYED A mob game in his life, not to mention he is a pitcher. How often do those #1 picks and highly touted guys make good when they are pitchers?

Matt Harrington

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
So someone explain this: Apparently if they are forced to sign Nix, they might lose their next two first round picks. WTF?

Could happen: Nix will file a grievance and most sports sources think he will win his 1.5M, thus making the Astros over slot and they will forfeit their next two years first round picks. Ouch. Not to mention the legal fees they will surely rack up. All over a 3M difference/dispute.

This is one case of trying to out think the system backfired.

"But in the computer simulation, we got all three picks signed under slot 62.8% of the time."

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Could happen: Nix will file a grievance and most sports sources think he will win his 1.5M, thus making the Astros over slot and they will forfeit their next two years first round picks. Ouch. Not to mention the legal fees they will surely rack up. All over a 3M difference/dispute.

This is where one case of trying to out think the system backfired.

"But in the computer simulation, we got all three picks signed under slot 62.8% of the time."

Here's the hitch, though - according to Evan Drellich, the $1.5M promised to Nix was verbal only. Hard to win a grievance if that's true.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Where is that story on the guy who passed on signing 4 times and ended up working at a tire center making $12/Hr or something like that!!? maybe it won't end the same way, but it is difficult to have sympathy for anyone who is offered 5 mILLION AND HAS NEVER PLAYED A mob game in his life, not to mention he is a pitcher. How often do those #1 picks and highly touted guys make good when they are pitchers?

BTW, it was a Costco tire center, so... They do get discounts on Pizza and hot dogs. (free pop with hot dogs!!) I don't think he's doing too bad!!:D

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The Astros are responsible for two players that may never get close to what they were originally offered. They have already screwed both of them with the NCAA by stating they contacted their "adviser", which is a no-no. The teams have to contact the player, who listens to the offer, then takes that to their adviser for advice. If the team talks with the adviser, the adviser is then acting as an agent, thus making them ineligible for NCAA sports.

With everything going on with this case, the Astros clearly were only thinking about the numbers.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
The Astros are responsible for two players that may never get close to what they were originally offered. They have already screwed both of them with the NCAA by stating they contacted their "adviser", which is a no-no. The teams have to contact the player, who listens to the offer, then takes that to their adviser for advice. If the team talks with the adviser, the adviser is then acting as an agent, thus making them ineligible for NCAA sports.

With everything going on with this case, the Astros clearly were only thinking about the numbers.
You have no Idea what you are taking about. Good luck debating that Opinion!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Uhm, it was mentioned in the local paper today about the fact that amateurs aren't supposed to have an agent who deals with a pro team. If they do, they jeopardize their eligibility with the NCAA. The only speculation was what constitutes and agent versus an advisor. But either way, the person is not supposed to be a direct go between for the player and the team. No joke. I have not researched it but I do trust the Houston Chronicle. Any issues, take it up with their sports editor.

As far as Aiken, majorly dumb move. Added to all this madness from both sides, I haven't heard anything saying he was hurt. Just had an anatomically smaller than normal UCL. This alone means nothing more than he could potentially get hurt. Not that he was hurt. Or am I really missing something here.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts