Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM - Astros Fail to Sign #1 Pick Brady Aiken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Anyways back to the topic. Astros offered Aiken 5 million. I still can't see any reason he would turn it down

Well, that was my point. He kinda screwed himself out of possibly two options. First he lost out on the money. Secondly, he may not be able to pitch for UCLA if the NCAA wants to get involved and cause a big issue.

I still don't understand whats up with his UCL.

As for pre draft physicals, they'll never go for that. The teams would have all of the advantage there. Yes they are spending a boatload of money but from a player's union perspective...you could potentially be costing the player millions, like in this very case here, but a lot more often. I mean if they're going to make a big deal bout this, guys getting drafted with a real issue will be paid way below slot. Let them have a chance to at least get in the contract and try to play. Otherwise instead of drafting based on potential, you're drafting based more so on injury potential.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Well, that was my point. He kinda screwed himself out of possibly two options. First he lost out on the money. Secondly, he may not be able to pitch for UCLA if the NCAA wants to get involved and cause a big issue.

I still don't understand whats up with his UCL.

As for pre draft physicals, they'll never go for that. The teams would have all of the advantage there. Yes they are spending a boatload of money but from a player's union perspective...you could potentially be costing the player millions, like in this very case here, but a lot more often. I mean if they're going to make a big deal bout this, guys getting drafted with a real issue will be paid way below slot. Let them have a chance to at least get in the contract and try to play. Otherwise instead of drafting based on potential, you're drafting based more so on injury potential.
i just don't see a downside in pre draft physicals. Why wouldn't you be able to examine who you are drafting. It's insane

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
i just don't see a downside in pre draft physicals. Why wouldn't you be able to examine who you are drafting. It's insane

Just like it is stated earlier. All the power would be in the employer hands. No body wants the man to have all the power. So the employee gets a little in this case. No physical until drafted. I'm good with it that way. Buyer beware.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
1.5 million gets you 2 wins above replacement level. that's a small money amount in terms of having to go out in sign a pitcher to make up that difference. Your not going to find it that cheap.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Just like it is stated earlier. All the power would be in the employer hands. No body wants the man to have all the power. So the employee gets a little in this case. No physical until drafted. I'm good with it that way. Buyer beware.

As a fan that follows a team, not a player, I find this insane.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
As a fan that follows a team, not a player, I find this insane.

It's one of the few bargaining chips prospects have. Besides...if they do pre draft physicals, and nobody decides to draft them based on the results, does it mess with their collegiate eligibility? I'd imagine these teams want to use their doctors. They'd be the ones to pay correct? Wouldn't that keep an unstaffed guy from saying screw it and going back to college?

Plus, if teams are going to start paying based on the probability of getting hurt as opposed to actually being hurt, that's gonna cause a lot of grief for all the players getting drafted.

I'm not saying I super agree with all of this. I just see it from both sides. I wouldn't want to pay for damaged goods and I wouldn't want to go from being picked no. 1 overall to being unsigned and maybe SOL on going to college because somebody thinks I might get hurt.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I assume the amount of "damaged" players with pre-draft physicals wouldn't be a large number. And the buyer (team) should always have the upper hand at knowing what they are purchasing. They were still willing to offer $5 million , they didn't walk away from the pick based on what they found, but did want to insure themselves of some of the risk. I really don't see the downside of pre-draft , and a bargaining chip for the players def isn't a good enough reason for me. Anyway is what it is at this point and this Astros draft was majorly effected by it.

Ryan

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Would you buy a car without driving it around? I don't care about giving power to prospects. If they are good enough, they will get their money. If they aren't good enough, I don't want them wasting space and money.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If people are cars then yes drive them first. This is real world and I am saying these people have some bargaining chips and are using them.

If you haven't put up any MLB #s , how much of the chips should you have? The $ paid by the owners is real and not refundable

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The Union isn't allowing it. The test driving a new car them isn't quite right. Let's put it into better context:

Would you test drive a car before you purchased it if no dealership would let you? No. You wouldn't. Because it's not allowed.

As for them having a bargaining chip, it is what it is. I'm not saying I totally agree with it. But I also find it funny the Astros were going to cut their offer due to what amounts to nothing really.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
How about this then: would you hire someone to run a cash register at your business without running a criminal record on them? The whole idea is stupid.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
How about this then: would you hire someone to run a cash register at your business without running a criminal record on them? The whole idea is stupid.

I'm not arguing the merits of it. I'm simply saying it's not allowed. I can see why to a degree. But I do think the teams ought to know what they're getting. Also, like I said, if homeboy goes and gets a pre-draft physical, the teams will want to use their doctors. Even if the players went out and footed the bill to do their own, the teams won't go for it. It'll always have to be their doctors. With that in mind, I can see it right now that the NCAA would be all over them telling them if they accept the physical on behalf of the team, or see any team physicians, they lose their eligibility. The NCAA isn't playing with a full deck anyways. With football, there is no worry because most of the players are leaving college to go to the pros. Same with Basketball. With baseball, you've got high schoolers. They have the choice of college or MLB draft. The way the NCAA plays things, you don't want to force the player into only having one choice. A pre-draft physical might do that.

Members online

Latest posts