Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another eBay problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jun 30, 2010
Anyone on board??????Anyone here may buy from me at anytime, if the item doesn't get to you( and I will ship delivery confirmation) then I will eat it(insured or not)...Your money gets refunded immediately.

Bryan

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
It's all about insurance. If you ship an item, choose not to insure it, and the item is effectively lost in the mail, the responsibility falls on the seller. Even if you do insure an item, it is still the seller's responsibility, should it be lost or damaged, to immediately refund the buyer and file the insurance claim with said carrier to recoup your money.

Now, whether you buy insurance is, of course, at your own volition and discretion. eBay will only back a seller if the item is trackable and shows as "delivered". Further protection, in the case of a lost or damaged item, is the responsiblity of the seller, in the form of insurance.

As a rule of thumb, when I am selling an item, I ask myself: If this item is lost or damaged, am I OK with refunding the buyer and eating the loss? If the item in question is under a certain price point, say, for example, $50, I am OK with assuming the risk and not getting insurance. To me, the few extra dollars is not worth the small percentage risk that the item will be lost or damaged. Bu if an item has a selling price of, again, for example, above $50, I will most likely buy the insurance because the risk financial risk is too large for me to stomach.

Back when eBay allowed you to surcharge for insurance, I was my own insurance company. I offered insurance at a rate significantly less than if I were to buy it through the carrier I chose, and, therefore, made money as a result. Should a package have been lost or damaged and the buyer bought insurance, the money I had made from previous insurance sales without claims would have sufficiently covered any item purchase price. But I can't remember ever having to "pay out" on a "claim."

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, so again I ask, how the hell does insurance cover you if the card eventually arrives? Unless I misread his posts, the card is still "in transit". So if the buyer makes a claim, he will win it if the card does not arrive in however long ebay gives after the claim is filed for the card to arrive. If it takes longer than that, the buyer will already have been refunded correct? And there is no way to file an insurance claim on an item that gets delivered so if the buyer decides to have his cake and eat it too then what? Sounds like you'd be out of a card and this precious insurance was a waste of money.

So again...how does having the insurance in this case help?

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Ok, so again I ask, how the hell does insurance cover you if the card eventually arrives? Unless I misread his posts, the card is still "in transit". So if the buyer makes a claim, he will win it if the card does not arrive in however long ebay gives after the claim is filed for the card to arrive. If it takes longer than that, the buyer will already have been refunded correct? And there is no way to file an insurance claim on an item that gets delivered so if the buyer decides to have his cake and eat it too then what? Sounds like you'd be out of a card and this precious insurance was a waste of money.

So again...how does having the insurance in this case help?

The card has been "in transit" for more than 15 days, if I remember correctly, according to the OP. Insurance claims can be filed on delayed shipments in the case of USPS. Per USPS, claims can be filed after 15 days of mailing the item. So, if the card is in stuck in limbo, you can file a claim and be reimbursed. If the card does somehow make its way to the buyer, then the buyer has already gotten his money and a bonus (the card), and the seller has been, or will be shortly, reimbursed.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The card has been "in transit" for more than 15 days, if I remember correctly, according to the OP. Insurance claims can be filed on delayed shipments in the case of USPS. Per USPS, claims can be filed after 15 days of mailing the item. So, if the card is in stuck in limbo, you can file a claim and be reimbursed. If the card does somehow make its way to the buyer, then the buyer has already gotten his money and a bonus (the card), and the seller has been, or will be shortly, reimbursed.

Thanks. That makes sense now.

Members online