Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another example of why I don't value TPG- PSA GM 10????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Been trying to buy one of these inserts, saw this and got excited, but its a "10" so my estimate of value and the sellers are way off.

PSA is "the Authority" ??? Thanks, I'll grade my own cards........ smh.

Attachments

• clemens edge chipping.JPG
    clemens edge chipping.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 50
  • clemens prec metals both.JPG
    clemens prec metals both.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 45
  • clemens prec metals rear bott edge.JPG
    clemens prec metals rear bott edge.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 44
  • clemens scratches comment.JPG
    clemens scratches comment.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 42

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
The back chipping is within the guidelines for a PSA 10; and those are fibers in the slab, not scratches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
So the person with a copy of this card WITHOUT that back chipping on the ENTIRE top edge has the same quality card? Or chipping only HALFway across the top edge? Or a 1/4 the way across? Are they all a GM 10? If so, then GM 10 is meaningless and I feel bad for those with nicer cards. Sorry, disagree here.

These are the GM 10 grade scale description as published on PSA site today. Dont see anything about allowing chipping in front or rear. In fact it says "VIRTUALLY PERFECT." Only allowance on reverse is for centering ratio. only allowances otherwise are for a "slight printing imperfection". Major edge chips are not a slight printing imperfection.

1629310813288.png

As far as the scatches, I disagree again, and belive they are in the foil. But if you're right, then its another reason to not have it sealed forever in judgement by a TPG with a sonic welded slab around it. I could slide it out of a toploader or take out of a 1 screw and prove or disprove the existence of the scratches, and improve its appearance by getting a holder without fibers in the way if it's truly in the holder.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I agree, chipping on either side shouldn’t merit a 10; then again, 60-40 centering shouldn’t merit a 10 either, but those are PSA’s standards.

Agreed with scratches or foreign objects as well. Scratches shouldn’t be on a 10 and crap shouldn’t be in a sonically sealed slab, but that’s PSA for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Grading is subjective. Always has been, always will be….it’s the human element. Not all 10s are created equal either. Same goes for every numerical grade down the line to a 1. Just because a card gets a 1, doesn’t mean another “1” is going to look the same and visa versa all the way up to a “10.” There’s an old saying…Buy the card, not the holder. Sounds like you’re trying to buy the holder, not the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Grading is subjective. Always has been, always will be….it’s the human element. Not all 10s are created equal either. Same goes for every numerical grade down the line to a 1. Just because a card gets a 1, doesn’t mean another “1” is going to look the same and visa versa all the way up to a “10.” There’s an old saying…Buy the card, not the holder. Sounds like you’re trying to buy the holder, not the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yeah, this is my point exactly. I firmly believe in buy the card, not the holder! I'm not trying to buy a holder, just a card, and this holder shows exactly why grades on holders are BS , in my humble opinion. But, this card is forever slabbed and overpriced in my view, because PSA for some reason is respected as an authority and says it's "VIRTUALLY PERFECT"....even though, clearly it ain't. It's just silly.

Members online

Latest posts