Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any thoughts on eBay not using PP exclusively anymore?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I haven't had time to read up on this but it seems like eBay is going to be bypassing PayPal for both payments to buyers and to pay sellers' fees?

Thoughts?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If that is true, that may just be the final nail in my coffin to stop buying. $4+ shipping per card, paying taxes now after so many years of tax free online transactions, no paypal and I'll add that lately, I have not gotten any of the ebay bucks offers that I used to get. ebay can suck it. It's harder to find things you need, but they may also be ripe for a takedown if someone else can figure out a platform that will give you the same exposure with not all the BS. I recognize ebay needs to turn a profit, but they have just gotten too big and forgotten their roots.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
It's part of their managed payments program that they are forcing you to use now. I've been on it for a couple of months as a seller. I hate it every bit now than I did going into it. The only good thing about it is you potentially reach more buyers in the event that they don't have paypal, but have other forms of paying like google pay etc. The biggest downfall and the reason I absolutely hate it, is they "hold" your money for days while it clears and then send it to your bank account directly, which then takes more days...could be potentially up to a week before you actually get your money. They expect you to mail out a potentially valuable card and don't have your money for days on end, instead of instantly like the old way. Sucks. Another thing they have the authority to do is to get their hands into YOUR bank account to get funds OUT if you don't happen to have enough "pending" to cover a return! BS! I ended up setting up a new bank account just for this reason. No way I want Ebay's hands in my main account. I just keep a few bucks in "their" account so they can't take my money. Once I sell off my remaining inventory, I'm done with them.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I see other options to pay, but so far have not been forced to use anything. I use PP because it is easy. I know there are other similar services, but each time you sign up, you are giving some organization more personal data. I know it is a part of life for the most part, but as a buyer, no reason for me to switch to a different payment method unless it begins to impact who will accept it. maybe sellers who don't have to take PP will opt not to.

It is not all about ebay and paypal, but also the fact that I am just getting older and realize that I need to do something with my collection (HOPEFULLY) before I die. I still enjoy it, but it is going to take a long time to get rid of it the right way. As I add more and more to it each day, I am definitely going in the wrong direction! These continuous irritations and rising costs though are just making me come to terms with a potential hobby "RETIREMENT" and also make it a little easier to think about. It will be hard no matter what. I truly love the hunt and the capture, not so much the release part!

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Oh. Boy. Was just coming here to see if anyone had posted about this. I’ve been a member on EBay since 1999. I can’t imagine continuing to sell anything now. I just took a peek at my app and this message came up. We have 30 days to update our info, and get this, we need to also include our social security number with eBay. Nope. Not a chance. I’m out. I’ll stick to Sportlots for buying and I guess I’ll try to sell stuff on Facebook or somewhere else. What a shame.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Does anyone know the full of extent of the end of their partnership? Are they done with paypal entirely AKA you can't pay with paypal at all anymore?

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
You can still pay with PayPal. As a seller, payments have to be directly routed into your bank, which means any returns or chargebacks also come out of your bank. eBay essentially has a key to your bank now. Also the payments don’t automatically show up. There’s a waiting period.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
You can still pay with PayPal. As a seller, payments have to be directly routed into your bank, which means any returns or chargebacks also come out of your bank. eBay essentially has a key to your bank now. Also the payments don’t automatically show up. There’s a waiting period.

Ouch that stinks, thanks for the info

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I recently sold some cards and the buyer sent me a Money Order.. When the payment showed up, I just marked the auction as payment has been made. I have been selling more cards on FB as well..

Good luck,

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
at least as of yesterday i have not yet been forced into the managed payments system nor have i received any contact notifying me of a deadline for it...personally i hate it and will hold off as long as possible...with my financial situation , i pretty much sell a card here or there out of sheer necessity and almost never have funds in ANY account to cover the cost of shipping until payment is received...

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
at least as of yesterday i have not yet been forced into the managed payments system nor have i received any contact notifying me of a deadline for it...personally i hate it and will hold off as long as possible...with my financial situation , i pretty much sell a card here or there out of sheer necessity and almost never have funds in ANY account to cover the cost of shipping until payment is received...

With managed payments, if you ship thru EBAY Labels, they will use some of the money from the held payments.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
I'm part of a couple Griffey groups and some 1990's to early 2000's groups. It's been helpful grabbing some cards that rarely pop up on ebay. Also, people don't mind selling there because ebay doesn't take that 10%.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Ugh, I don’t want to go back to the days of money orders, seems like still using a fax machine today.

I’m not on FB, so I won’t see any new Puckett’s there. Things may get interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I had been off facebook for a while as well, but I recently got back on specifically to join many of the card groups so I have a better chance of finding cards I need. I unfriended everyone except my wife, so the only feed I see is her stuff and the groups I'm in.

Members online