Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are you dyslexic? Check out this sports card site.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Except you'd habe to name it Warnertime to follow what he's doing.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I honestly don't see what the problem is here. The dude made a card website named Cardboard Freedom. Is it similar to FCB? Sure. This is nothing new in the business world. They're not the same name.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
This is the exact argument he tried to use. Unfortunately FCB uses both cardboard and card board.

This is a pretty clear case of copy write infringment.

I don't think you're correct here Chris. Do you have a trademark or anything filed other than Articles of Incorporation or Organization?

Just because you use a name and that it appears in use, it doesn't make it yours. I think you have little ground to stand on here without any legal ownership/filing of the mark/name.

Posted by witchcraft, voodoo and technological kung fu.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
He has some legal ground if he can make the argument that this dude is trying to confuse customers thinking they're going to FCB to participate in group breaks and end up at that site instead. That's the main legal argument I see. The key with trademark infringement is confusing a consumer. You have to make the argument that the "copycat" or close new named company is so close in resemblance and operation that they're confusing the consumer as to who is who. There's also a physical proximity component that comes into play but I don't really know how that works since these are both websites and not physical locations. I'm not an expert on this stuff yet, just will be hopefully in a few years. ;)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
He has some legal ground if he can make the argument that this dude is trying to confuse customers thinking they're going to FCB to participate in group breaks and end up at that site instead. That's the main legal argument I see. The key with trademark infringement is confusing a consumer. You have to make the argument that the "copycat" or close new named company is so close in resemblance and operation that they're confusing the consumer as to who is who. There's also a physical proximity component that comes into play but I don't really know how that works since these are both websites and not physical locations. I'm not an expert on this stuff yet, just will be hopefully in a few years. ;)
Unless it's confirmed, there is no existing tradename/trademark/copyright to infringe upon.

Again, using a name is not a trademark. An LLC name is only good for a specific state...and even then, not a trademark.

And judging by the lack of TM on the name or logo, a trademark doesn't appear to exist.

And therefore no legal ground.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I think its the same guy that owns this.
McDowellsFacade.jpg

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
"They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds."

I hate sesame seeds, where is this McDowell's?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
He actually probably wont be chiming in here because he is actually working on this in a legal capacity.

sent this from the new fcb app. go get yours.

Interesting. I'm assuming that the thought is that an email, letter or phone call from an attorney will be enough...even though it's still not clear that there is any actual legal ground to stand on other than a "request."

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'll state that FCB does not appear to own any Federal trademark for any combination of "freedom"and "cardboard."

Therefore it's false to state that cardboardfreedom.com infringes upon anything. Sure, it's a clear and purposefully similar name, but that's not a legal issue. That's a "you" problem for not trademarking a name you now want to protect.

Sending Jeff to supposedly look into this (IE strong arm) is a dick move. Idle threats from attorneys is total crap.

You either protected the name or you didn't...and nothing shows that you did.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I'll state that FCB does not appear to own any Federal trademark for any combination of "freedom"and "cardboard."

Therefore it's false to state that cardboardfreedom.com infringes upon anything. Sure, it's a clear and purposefully similar name, but that's not a legal issue. That's a "you" problem for not trademarking a name you now want to protect.

Sending Jeff to supposedly look into this (IE strong arm) is a dick move. Idle threats from attorneys is total crap.

You either protected the name or you didn't...and nothing shows that you did.

Trademarks are pretty expensive and not an easy process, and i think you also have to have it (trademark name) published somewhere in print on top of everything.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Trademarks are pretty expensive and not an easy process, and i think you also have to have it (trademark name) published somewhere in print on top of everything.

Not sure how this relates...unless you think that not being able to afford, wait and create a legal trademark still implies you can own a trademark that has never been filed.

I don't like bullies....and FCB comes off as a baseless bully here.
If anything, FCB is guilty of stupidity or lack of foresight for not protecting the name.

Members online