Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blockbuster trade being talked about Yankees-Tigers-Arizona

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I have a feeling granderson will cut the strikeouts down batting behind Jeter. He will see a ton of fastballs.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Red Sox fans now think the Tigers are giving their players away.

One on the RedSox forum suggested a

Casey Kotchman/Lars Anderson, Manny Del Carmen and Michael Bowden
for
Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander

I really hope that it was a joke, but then again...
Why were you on the Red Sox forum????

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
scotty21690 said:
vwnut13 said:

for

To see if they thought they were going to be able to get Cabrera now that the Tigers are trading players away. And I found ^THAT^.

Plus, it's always good to get a good laugh or two everyday, and where else then the Red Sox forum.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
scotty21690 said:
vwnut13 said:

for

To see if they thought they were going to be able to get Cabrera now that the Tigers are trading players away. And I found ^THAT^.

Plus, it's always good to get a good laugh or two everyday, and where else then the Red Sox forum.
You are ridiculous...

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
scotty21690 said:
You are ridiculous...

You don't find this rediculous???

for

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
scotty21690 said:
vwnut13 said:
scotty21690 said:
vwnut13 said:

for

You are ridiculous...

Yup :lol:

Something bothers him enough that his team makes a pretty big trade and all he can talk about is the Red Sox. He laughs at the fact that some people who understand baseball realize the Red Sox need a big bat, even if they do sign bay. While I dont think they will even ask about Verlander, anyone who doesnt think they will inquire on Cabrera has rocks in their head. The problems he had at the end of last season, IMO, make Cabrera a tradeable player. The fact that it looks like their ready for a fire sale make it a lot more plausible.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
scotty21690 said:
You are ridiculous...

for
I don't feel the need to explain what I meant...

Anyways I am surprised the Tigers traded Granderson, as I think he will be tough to replace. I expected him to be on the Tigers for a good chunk of his career. Scherzer has a bright career ahead of him IMO, let's see how he handles the AL.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
We are having good convos with this trade lets leave the red sox out of it. Thanks

scotty21690 said:
vwnut13 said:
scotty21690 said:
You are ridiculous...

for
I don't feel the need to explain what I meant...

Anyways I am surprised the Tigers traded Granderson, as I think he will be tough to replace. I expected him to be on the Tigers for a good chunk of his career. Scherzer has a bright career ahead of him IMO, let's see how he handles the AL.

che stadium

Aug 16, 2008
Although I will miss Granderson in a Detroit uniform, I hope the value of all of those cards I collected (1/1's etc) all go up in value. Fire sale!

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
darocker80 said:
1. Jeter
2. Granderson
3. Tex
4. A-Rod
??

or if they re-sign damon

1. Jeter
2. Damon
3. Tex
4. A-rod
5. Granderson

??
1. Jeter
2. Granderson
3. Tex
4. A-Rod
5. Cano
6. Posada
7. Designated Hitter (this really depends on who the DH will be)
8. Nick Swisher
9. Melky Cabrera/Brett Gardner

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
sportscardtheory said:
Ian Kennedy, Austin Jackson and Phil Coke for Curtis Granderson? How does that make sense.

How does that NOT make sense?

Granderson hit 30 homers and stole 20 bases in 2009. He was an All-Star.

Austin Jackson hit 4 homeruns (over 500 at-bats) in the minor leagues. He has a LONG way to go before the Tigers can start to say that they got the better end of this deal.

Coke and Kennedy look like they could have bright futures ahead of them, but neither has proved anything yet.

Basically the Yankees are getting an established MLB all-star for 3 promising prospects...but as of right now, that's all they are: promising.

I'd be ecstatic about bringing in a guy like Granderson, especially for a team like the Yankees who reload every year rather than rebuilding. NY just won the world series, why not add another all star hitter to the lineup now instead of sitting on prospects waiting for them to pan out?

The Tigers are essentially trying to rebuild, and although the players they are bringing in look good, this probably means that they won't be a serious championship contender in 2010. The Yankees basically lose nobody that made a significant contribution to their world series run in this trade.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
jcmint said:
I could not agree more. Ajax looks like a good player. Could he be an All Star most people say no but he can be good. Kennedy as far as i saw him pitch was brutal and looked down right scared in the bigs. His fastball got destroyed. If he does not hit his spots he gets killed his "stuff" is marginal at best. Phil Coke was a nice arm. Granderson is a proven player who plays a very good center field and can steal bases with power. Thats everything we needed. Just look at it like this Melky/Gardner or Granderson. I am vested in AJax but no knows about him. Grandy contracts is solid. AWESOME deal.

Crash Davis said:
This is a TREMENDOUS deal for the Yankees.

Curtis Granderson, despite hitting under .200 against lefties, smacked 30 HR and stole 20 bases last year. The dimensions of the new Yankee Stadium should account for at least a 15 point raise in his batting average and perhaps a spike in his power numbers, which are already among the best in the league for a top-of-the-order type guy. He's also a tremendous upgrade in the field.

As for who the Yankees gave up - Austin Jackson may or may not pan out. As a die-hard Yankees fan for 30-plus years, I've seen my share of can't-miss prospects fall by the wayside - Gerald Williams, Roberto Kelly, Hensley Muelens, etc. As for Ian Kennedy, the guy has been a bust every time he pitched since that little taste we got towards the end of 2007. He may amount to something, but he would never have got the chance with the Yankees. Lastly, Phil Coke is a situational reliever who can easily be replaced.

Granderson should be good for .265 31 HR 85 RBI 28 SB and 120 runs scored in 2010.

Now, with all the money the Yankees will save by not having to re-sign both Damon and Matsui, they can pick up a #3 or 4 starting pitcher or a decent bullpen guy.

Now, they could really do something great and bypass Damon and Matsui altogether, and sign Holliday or Bay.

It would be hard to top this deal given the available players and their asking price. Like I said on page 2, hats off to Cashman for pulling this one off.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
sportscardtheory said:
Ian Kennedy, Austin Jackson and Phil Coke for Curtis Granderson? How does that make sense.

How does that NOT make sense?

Granderson hit 30 homers and stole 20 bases in 2009. He was an All-Star.

Austin Jackson hit 4 homeruns (over 500 at-bats) in the minor leagues. He has a LONG way to go before the Tigers can start to say that they got the better end of this deal.

Coke and Kennedy look like they could have bright futures ahead of them, but neither has proved anything yet.

Basically the Yankees are getting an established MLB all-star for 3 promising prospects...but as of right now, that's all they are: promising.

I'd be ecstatic about bringing in a guy like Granderson, especially for a team like the Yankees who reload every year rather than rebuilding. NY just won the world series, why not add another all star hitter to the lineup now instead of sitting on prospects waiting for them to pan out?

The Tigers are essentially trying to rebuild, and although the players they are bringing in look good, this probably means that they won't be a serious championship contender in 2010. The Yankees basically lose nobody that made a significant contribution to their world series run in this trade.

They didn't give up much for one of the best center fielders in the game.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
This is a steal for the Yankees in my opinion,there offense was great to begin with,now you add Granderson.The Tigers will still be in the playoff picture,because they play in the A.L. Central!

I really don't think they would move Cabrera unless are blown away by a trade offer.He is just starting to hit his prime.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
The Tigers could have avoided all of this by not letting Magglio get his bonus # of ABs last year! I said at the time that made no sense playing him! No they are on the hook for 2 more years of terrible defense, and nothing but singles from a corner outfielder at $18 million and $15 million per! Unreal how bad of a decision that was!

marterburn

bodiaz said:
The Tigers could have avoided all of this by not letting Magglio get his bonus # of ABs last year! I said at the time that made no sense playing him! No they are on the hook for 2 more years of terrible defense, and nothing but singles from a corner outfielder at $18 million and $15 million per! Unreal how bad of a decision that was!

they tried their other options. they weren't better. they had to give him another shot or risk a grievance and pay the money anyway.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Bornagaincollector said:
This is a steal for the Yankees in my opinion,there offense was great to begin with,now you add Granderson.The Tigers will still be in the playoff picture,because they play in the A.L. Central!

I really don't think they would move Cabrera unless are blown away by a trade offer.He is just starting to hit his prime.

I don't think this upgrades their offense at all. Granderson basically replaces Damon. Defensively is where the upgrade is.