Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blockbuster trade being talked about Yankees-Tigers-Arizona

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
pujolsjunkie said:
Honestly, if the Yanks had traded Coke for Nick Adenhart, I'd be cool with it. Anything to get him gone.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good call. I also like the "drew nothing but heartburn from Yankee fans" comment. Whenever I would watch CC leave and Coke come in, I got a terrible feeling of dread.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Jaypers said:
The Tigers are the only winners in this deal.

The Tigers being winners in this deal relies on AJax panning out and Scherzer continuing to improve.

If both of those happen, the Tigers dominate this trade.

If one of those two things happen, the Tigers made a good (and necessary) trade.

If neither of those two things happen, then this is a terrible trade for the Tigers.

Hype, you nailed it.

I will miss Granderson in centerfield. But the Tigers need to get some guys on base in front of Cabrera. Granderson and Polanco did not get the job done in 2009 as well as they did in the past. Hopefully, Jackson can be that guy in the long run. But it's tough to think a rookie can be a leadoff hitter with a good OBP.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
RL24 said:
pujolsjunkie said:
Honestly, if the Yanks had traded Coke for Nick Adenhart, I'd be cool with it. Anything to get him gone.

Good call. I also like the "drew nothing but heartburn from Yankee fans" comment. Whenever I would watch CC leave and Coke come in, I got a terrible feeling of dread.

It was automatic for much of the year. He'd come in and implode immediately. Even if he didn't, it felt like he would. Enjoy your upcoming 13 year tour around the big leagues, Phil.

porcello94

Aug 9, 2009
pujolsjunkie said:
RL24 said:
pujolsjunkie said:

It was automatic for much of the year. He'd come in and implode immediately. Even if he didn't, it felt like he would. Enjoy your upcoming 13 year tour around the big leagues, Phil.

What I couldn't stand was his attitude. He'd get all pumped up and wouldn't worry about location, thinking he was someone throwing up triple digits...meanwhile he's scraping 91-92 and he has no idea where it is going

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
ballerskrip said:
stevezimmer22 said:
If you are a Yankee fan and you do not like this deal you are CRAZY. Granderson is about as good as it gets in numerous aspects of the game. Aside from being an all star lead-off hitter with huge power and speed, he is one of the best club house guys in the game. Granderson is one of the coolest guys around and will fit perfectly in pinstrips andwill belt plenty of homeruns down that short porch, if you value Austin Jackson over Curtis Granderson you are crazy; and I am huge on Jackson.

Agreed across the board. I am not too big on guys that strike out 123 times with 4 home runs to show for it.....

He might pan out, might now, but Granderson WILL have some BIG years for the Yankees.

I guarantee that Granderson has at least a couple huge years just because of the dimensions of Yankee stadium. He's hitting 30 HRs in Comerica one of the most spacious parks. Put him in a stadium where he pulls it down RF all the time, and he approaches 40 without a doubt.

I really doubt Jackson ever matches Granderson. Especially in power.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
vwnut13 said:
Red Sox fans now think the Tigers are giving their players away.

One on the RedSox forum suggested a

Casey Kotchman/Lars Anderson, Manny Del Carmen and Michael Bowden
for
Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander

I really hope that it was a joke, but then again...

I've heard rumors of Cabrera going if Granderson and Jackson were gone. There's no sense in keeping him around on a last place team. Especially if it's all about cutting payroll. Not only that, but there's no way Verlander resigns with everyone gone. They might as well try and get something for him too. Although I've heard nothing about Verlander.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
nborton said:
vwnut13 said:

for

I've heard rumors of Cabrera going if Granderson and Jackson were gone. There's no sense in keeping him around on a last place team. Especially if it's all about cutting payroll. Not only that, but there's no way Verlander resigns with everyone gone. They might as well try and get something for him too. Although I've heard nothing about Verlander.
The giants need to jump on that for miguel! maybe a package of bumgarner, neal, noonan and lewis could do the trick :p

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
nborton said:
vwnut13 said:

for

Man, player collecting Granderson probably just got a lot more expensive for you.

Wes

OG
Administrator
darocker80 said:
nborton said:
vwnut13 said:

for

The giants need to jump on that for miguel! maybe a package of bumgarner, neal, noonan and lewis could do the trick :p

That offer is laughable.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
goldenegg1 said:
So what makes this a blockbuster trade?

This is the new breed of "blockbuster" trades.

With virtually every big name player except Pujols locked into multi-year deals into the next decade, this will be what defines blockbuster.

Guys like A-Rod, Tex, etc, are all signed and sealed for years to come.

I wouldnt say it is blockbuster in terms of talent, but in this current player market and economy, it definitely is blockbuster for the teams involved

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
LLWesMan said:
darocker80 said:
nborton said:
vwnut13 said:

for

That offer is laughable.
henche the :p

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
As a Tigers fan, I don't like the trade but I do understand it. Granderson will be missed.

Alex

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jaypers said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Jaypers said:

The Tigers being winners in this deal relies on AJax panning out and Scherzer continuing to improve.

If one of those two things happen, the Tigers made a good (and necessary) trade.

If neither of those two things happen, then this is a terrible trade for the Tigers.

Schlereth is going to be the real deal too, IMO.

Is he going to Detroit or NY?

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Jaypers said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":3uuf01ie]
Jaypers said:

Schlereth is going to be the real deal too, IMO.

Is he going to Detroit or NY?[/quote:3uuf01ie]
Detroit.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I could not agree more. Ajax looks like a good player. Could he be an All Star most people say no but he can be good. Kennedy as far as i saw him pitch was brutal and looked down right scared in the bigs. His fastball got destroyed. If he does not hit his spots he gets killed his "stuff" is marginal at best. Phil Coke was a nice arm. Granderson is a proven player who plays a very good center field and can steal bases with power. Thats everything we needed. Just look at it like this Melky/Gardner or Granderson. I am vested in AJax but no knows about him. Grandy contracts is solid. AWESOME deal.

Crash Davis said:
This is a TREMENDOUS deal for the Yankees.

Curtis Granderson, despite hitting under .200 against lefties, smacked 30 HR and stole 20 bases last year. The dimensions of the new Yankee Stadium should account for at least a 15 point raise in his batting average and perhaps a spike in his power numbers, which are already among the best in the league for a top-of-the-order type guy. He's also a tremendous upgrade in the field.

As for who the Yankees gave up - Austin Jackson may or may not pan out. As a die-hard Yankees fan for 30-plus years, I've seen my share of can't-miss prospects fall by the wayside - Gerald Williams, Roberto Kelly, Hensley Muelens, etc. As for Ian Kennedy, the guy has been a bust every time he pitched since that little taste we got towards the end of 2007. He may amount to something, but he would never have got the chance with the Yankees. Lastly, Phil Coke is a situational reliever who can easily be replaced.

Granderson should be good for .265 31 HR 85 RBI 28 SB and 120 runs scored in 2010.

Now, with all the money the Yankees will save by not having to re-sign both Damon and Matsui, they can pick up a #3 or 4 starting pitcher or a decent bullpen guy.

Now, they could really do something great and bypass Damon and Matsui altogether, and sign Holliday or Bay.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
pujolsjunkie said:
nborton said:
vwnut13 said:

for

Man, player collecting Granderson probably just got a lot more expensive for you.

Yeah it did. Stuff is already moving more than it has in a while. Also I found this kinda odd. He has already signed a Yankee Uniform?

[ebay:2q2zhszw]360215953271[/ebay:2q2zhszw]

rookieautos

Jul 9, 2009
nborton said:
pujolsjunkie said:
nborton said:
vwnut13 said:

for

Yeah it did. Stuff is already moving more than it has in a while. Also I found this kinda odd. He has already signed a Yankee Uniform?

[ebay:2gzgm8r4]360215953271[/ebay:2gzgm8r4]
They probly had him sign a number and sewed it on.. or removed it from a Detroit jersey..

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
nborton said:
pujolsjunkie said:
nborton said:
vwnut13 said:

for

[ebay:zg9pou51]360215953271[/ebay:zg9pou51]

He could have signed just the numbers or removed the numbers from a Tigers jersey.