Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cool or Weird?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
yeah, thats basically how I feel. I play chess and collect cards, which in most circles would make me lame. but I dont care... not one bit. those 2 things make me happy, and I think a lot of people that ****** on everyone elses hobby doesnt have much that makes them happy.
hiding a hobby or passion might be worse than not having one at all.

Eh...whats weird, and I have brought it up before many times, is the fact that the VERY people who hate or dislike or don't understand my hobby, actually have hobbies of their own. Some enjoy getting tattoos. Some collect guns. Some buy the most piece of crap Honda and try to trick it out(normally failing miserably). Some collect dvd's. Some like to collect and read novels. Some like to collect and play video games. And yet these people are the very people that will talk the most crap about my hobby? Yeah...that's why I have a hard time hanging out with a lot of folks I used to.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
predatorkj said:
Superfractor said:
predatorkj said:
Superfractor said:
I don't understand why it would be weird? If you're ashamed of what you enjoy: I feel sorry for you. Hoping to get Iannetta with his superfractor, soon.

There are actually quite a few people who are embarrassed to collect cards or autos and there are even more people out there who consider themselves "normal" and try to make others feel embarrassed for their hobby. I say do whatever the hell you want(within legal limits of course) and to hell with everyone else. There is always going to be people out there who try to down talk your hobby. They are either jealous or just don't understand. Its not your problem to help them in either case.

I can understand that, but it won't change my emotions towards those that let others frown upon something of theirs, that has no intrinsic wrong-doing.

I agree, to hell with them.

Yeah but trust me...it can make your life a living hell. Its why I don't talk about it at work or amongst my "normal" friends. In fact its why I have very few "normal" friends left. I'd just as soon not hear any s--t about it. And its hard for your friends not to find out unless they never come over or just aren't around you that much. I got tired of the smartass remarks. A lot of people do. Some people just clam up though and totally shut down and won't talk about it.

I can see that. I don't bring it up, on the occasional talks. However, if I was asked what my hobbies were, I would include cards. Most of my friends are sports men. Therefore, are involved in some hobby, related to the sport (e.g.: GU collecting, bobble-heads, caps, ticket stubs, etc.). Because of this, I am not an outsider, to friends.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
predatorkj said:
donrusscrusademan said:
yeah, thats basically how I feel. I play chess and collect cards, which in most circles would make me lame. but I dont care... not one bit. those 2 things make me happy, and I think a lot of people that ****** on everyone elses hobby doesnt have much that makes them happy.

Eh...whats weird, and I have brought it up before many times, is the fact that the VERY people who hate or dislike or don't understand my hobby, actually have hobbies of their own. Some enjoy getting tattoos. Some collect guns. Some buy the most piece of crap Honda and try to trick it out(normally failing miserably). Some collect dvd's. Some like to collect and read novels. Some like to collect and play video games. And yet these people are the very people that will talk the most crap about my hobby? Yeah...that's why I have a hard time hanging out with a lot of folks I used to.

yeah I think I worded that terribly, I agree with you here. the one I was going to mention you already did: its 100% acceptable for a guy to work on his car all the time. adding sh-t he doesnt need and completely changing things around that are fine.
people who watch movies and have a whole wall of them want you to think they are a "movie buff" or someone who is a connoisseur that actually studies the movies and character builds/plot. these people might want people to think they collect. because in reality a lot of these people are just fatasses. yet nobody bashes them!! same with the video games. fun stuff, I own a lot... but 500? 7 hours a day?! nobody jabs these people

makes me remember how dumb it is to argue with people on here, as we are really one big family that might be the only ones that understand each other.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Superfractor said:
predatorkj said:
Superfractor said:
predatorkj said:
Superfractor said:
I don't understand why it would be weird? If you're ashamed of what you enjoy: I feel sorry for you. Hoping to get Iannetta with his superfractor, soon.

There are actually quite a few people who are embarrassed to collect cards or autos and there are even more people out there who consider themselves "normal" and try to make others feel embarrassed for their hobby. I say do whatever the hell you want(within legal limits of course) and to hell with everyone else. There is always going to be people out there who try to down talk your hobby. They are either jealous or just don't understand. Its not your problem to help them in either case.

I can understand that, but it won't change my emotions towards those that let others frown upon something of theirs, that has no intrinsic wrong-doing.

Yeah but trust me...it can make your life a living hell. Its why I don't talk about it at work or amongst my "normal" friends. In fact its why I have very few "normal" friends left. I'd just as soon not hear any s--t about it. And its hard for your friends not to find out unless they never come over or just aren't around you that much. I got tired of the smartass remarks. A lot of people do. Some people just clam up though and totally shut down and won't talk about it.

I can see that. I don't bring it up, on the occasional talks. However, if I was asked what my hobbies were, I would include cards. Most of my friends are sports men. Therefore, are involved in some hobby, related to the sport (e.g.: GU collecting, bobble-heads, caps, ticket stubs, etc.). Because of this, I am not an outsider, to friends.

The guys I know and hang out with that do like sports think its cool but I see some jealousy. They want to see what you have, think its really awesome, then want to know how much it costs, or in the case of autograph collecting...what you had to go through to get it(i.e. standing in line when its hot as hell or freezing cold for *** amount of hours). Then when they find out they can't afford it, or wouldn't pay the price for it, or in the case of the autos...wouldn't wait that long or be that resilient...they start cracking jokes and being a real smartass about it. My boss is still pissed off I got an Adrian Peterson auto and when he found out I went and got Ladanian Tomlinson...well now he doesn't want to talk about autographs at all. He gets a real weird attitude about it. Even after I offered to take him, show him what to get signed and where. All he had to do was show up. Its really weird.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
All depends on the player. Some players really think their cards are cool and enjoy seeing cards they haven't seen before. Getting in person autographs at minor league games has certainly showed me this over the years. Every time a new bowman release is out you can be sure that players will be interested in seeing their new cards and often time asking for them. I have had many players ask me for cards they didn't have. They don't often always understand parallels, but if you find one that does and understands how limited certain cards are they will often appreciate it as much as the collector does. I think I'd take this one on a case by case basis. I know for a fact certain players couldn't care less about your collection of his cards, but I have ran into players that would be stoked about that. Not weird, the people on this message board aren't the only people in the world that care about cards. I brought Trevor Bell (Angels) a printing plate once and he was like trying to hug me, showing everyone.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
predatorkj said:
donrusscrusademan said:

yeah I think I worded that terribly, I agree with you here. the one I was going to mention you already did: its 100% acceptable for a guy to work on his car all the time. adding sh-t he doesnt need and completely changing things around that are fine.
people who watch movies and have a whole wall of them want you to think they are a "movie buff" or someone who is a connoisseur that actually studies the movies and character builds/plot. these people might want people to think they collect. because in reality a lot of these people are just fatasses. yet nobody bashes them!! same with the video games. fun stuff, I own a lot... but 500? 7 hours a day?! nobody jabs these people

makes me remember how dumb it is to argue with people on here, as we are really one big family that might be the only ones that understand each other.

We argue here because people are different and can't possibly agree with everyone else. I like it that way. Otherwise...if we all thought the same...well...you might as well save some power and turn off your computer and talk to yourself.

My wife collects DVD's. She's not fat nor a movie connoisseur(though I know you weren't citing her specifically so no offense taken) but she just has this weird habit of buying a new one every week. When she ******* about my collection...I just point out the dvd's. Or the ten million pairs of shoes that have been worn maybe once since purchase. Or the ten million purses or pairs of clothes.

My neighbor once told me his guns were a better investment and hobby than my cards. I asked why and he told me because(and I quote) "You can shoot things with them". I guess. :?

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
predatorkj said:
donrusscrusademan said:
predatorkj said:
donrusscrusademan said:

We argue here because people are different and can't possibly agree with everyone else. I like it that way. Otherwise...if we all thought the same...well...you might as well save some power and turn off your computer and talk to yourself.

My wife collects DVD's. She's not fat nor a movie connoisseur(though I know you weren't citing her specifically so no offense taken) but she just has this weird habit of buying a new one every week. When she ******* about my collection...I just point out the dvd's. Or the ten million pairs of shoes that have been worn maybe once since purchase. Or the ten million purses or pairs of clothes.

My neighbor once told me his guns were a better investment and hobby than my cards. I asked why and he told me because(and I quote) "You can shoot things with them". I guess. :?

I meant more of the trolling side than the arguing. I like the debating here too. people see numbers and traits differently and its fun to gain other perspectives (whether I take them in or not). I really just meant the purposful hate. thought this was in the gen. forum, so that might be a misplaced comment. :benson: but still I bet you know what I mean.

big time LMFAO.. was just about to go back, edit and bring up shoes.. Ive been with a girl that bought the random shoes every week and I would not even see her wear them. she talked about the cards one time but I was able to call the kettle black and I think she actually realized it. (rarity ;) )

and yeah, I have nothing against your wife or anyone with any hobby. watching movies and buying them is no big deal.. just when they say mine is any different is where I have the problem, so I must go over the top with BS sometimes ;)

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
predatorkj said:
donrusscrusademan said:
predatorkj said:
donrusscrusademan said:

I commend your open-mindedness for taking a set of conjoined twins as a "wife."

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
mudflap02 said:
predatorkj said:
donrusscrusademan said:
predatorkj said:
donrusscrusademan said:

I commend your open-mindedness for taking a set of conjoined twins as a "wife."

Not exactly what I meant but I'll take the compliment anyways. I need all I can get. :lol: ::facepalm::

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
wolfmanalfredo said:
boomo said:
if i liked dudes maybe

boomo wins, just about exactly what I was going to post.

Its just like saying, I'm into you man, check out my cardboard. Lets go ape on pic city!

So let me wrap my inferior dome around this line of thought.

It's cool to collect cards of a few guys. It's cool to make a signature of said guys. This signature can contain pictures of guys staring longingly into the distance......guys like, say... Puckett, Williams and Blyleven......... It's further cool to collect more than one copy of a player's rookie card.

But it becomes "gay" when you present these cards to said player?

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Lancemountain said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
boomo said:
if i liked dudes maybe

Its just like saying, I'm into you man, check out my cardboard. Lets go ape on pic city!

It's cool to collect cards of a few guys. It's cool to make a signature of said guys. This signature can contain pictures of guys staring longingly into the distance......guys like, say... Puckett, Williams and Blyeven......... It's further cool to collect more than one copy of a player's rookie card.

I totally find it wierd, "gay" as you said, but I've definately done it a few times and I consider it wierd still.

I'm extremely sad that I never had the opportunity to meet the splendid splinter, but I had dinner and casual meetings with kirby a few times, and bert twice. I expressed my fandom if you will to them, but I felt it odd to present a collection to them. I know they would have most likely understood the following, and I did it, but it still seems wierd to me.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
Very few of us collectors can cast stones about weirdness.

That being said, Drew has a nervous, "please-don't-kidnap-me-and-lock-me-in-your-basement-dungeon" smile in that photo...

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
wolfmanalfredo said:
Lancemountain said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
boomo said:
if i liked dudes maybe

It's cool to collect cards of a few guys. It's cool to make a signature of said guys. This signature can contain pictures of guys staring longingly into the distance......guys like, say... Puckett, Williams and Blyeven......... It's further cool to collect more than one copy of a player's rookie card.

I totally find it wierd, "gay" as you said, but I've definately done it a few times and I consider it wierd still.

I'm extremely sad that I never had the opportunity to meet the splendid splinter, but I had dinner and casual meetings with kirby a few times, and bert twice. I expressed my fandom if you will to them, but I felt it odd to present a collection to them. I know they would have most likely understood the following, and I did it, but it still seems wierd to me.

youre either gay or not. . a 20 second talk with a player really wont make a difference. I can see how its not everyones cup of tea. I wouldnt do it.. but theres no reason for it to be wrong, as its much better than the generic talk that everyone else that day did. you get to see if theres a personality match at least if you take it out of the norm. maybe he laughs at a joke, or maybe he thinks youre a ******. either way its something different he will probably forget you in 4 minutes instead of 4 seconds. nothing life changing.

years ago I got an auto from Freddy Garcia (when he was good) he was reserved and when my friend tried for him to sign 2 he only held up a finger for 1. (the person couldnt make it to that level but thats irrelevant) there were 2 obnoxious hookers (or what appeared to be overambitious gold diggers) dressed very trashy shouting at him from far away no matter where he was on the field.

I regret not throwing a ****** joke and seeing what happened. I will never know. the autograph just becomes a squiggle on a piece of cardboard.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
maxpower said:
Very few of us collectors can cast stones about weirdness.

True. I bet there are more players that dig it then not in the minors.

I remember a beefycheddar thread from last summer where he stumbled upon a signing of two players and one guy told the other: "he has my best card" and the other player ribbed "what about mine" and Cheddar said he had that too, and the player asked him to bring it to pawtucket sometime. Could have the story a bit wrong but something similar.

I have a super and I showed it to the player this summer and he flipped out. I told him I had it and asked if he wanted to see it and he loved it. Took it out of the magnetic holder and was legitimately pumped to see a me with it.

Didn't do the picture thing but I'm sure it would not have been an issue of weirdness if I had asked.....

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
predatorkj said:
Superfractor said:
predatorkj said:
Superfractor said:

If collecting cards makes your life a living hell because your "normal" friends make comments....why keep the friends?

Why keep your hobby from your "normal" friends? It sounds like you are quite a bit insecure about your hobby.

I've had friends not understand it, mock it, what have you. The "friends" that kept at it, I cut them off. The friends I do have now actually have some interest, more in just looking at what I have and asking me questions about the hobby that it is now, with the occasional smart ass remark, but that's how we roll. We mock each other, make smart ass comments and get on with our lives.

I can tell you I would NEVER hide my hobby, regardless of what others have to say about it.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Lancemountain said:

It's cool to collect cards of a few guys. It's cool to make a signature of said guys. This signature can contain pictures of guys staring longingly into the distance......guys like, say... Puckett, Williams and Blyleven.........

See my response on page 1

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
I think this is weird for sure. It's like being obsessed with a girl and building her a shrine and then taking her to go see it. Sure she might be a little flattered but mostly she's gonna think you're a loon and wonder what you do in your spare time. But to each his own.

Members online