Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CUBS ACQUIRE ANTHONY RIZZO FOR ANDREW CASHNER!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Looking forward to Brett Keith's reaction. He might be Rizzo's biggest fan here, and lives in Illinois to boot.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Andrew Cashner zips for 2012 before the trade:

4-3 record out of the bullpen and with 11 starts: 3.76 ERA 64.7 IP 30BB/51K

In Petco, he should do much better.

tedc2379

May 19, 2010
San Diego
Hate to rain on your parade Cubs fans, but Rizzo has a loooong swing. He really struggled with the Padres last year and his AAA numbers were inflated by PCL band boxes (especially Tucson).

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
padremurph said:
Well time to sell my lone Bowman Rizzo auto. Can someone shed some light on Cashner? Is he any good? Not too familiar with him.

Mid 90s fastball with decent breaking stuff. Cubs were converting him from a reliever to a starter in 2011, but he blew out his elbow very early in the season, I think 2 starts in. He pitched well in that extremely limited action and grew stronger as a reliever in 2010. If he's healthy and fully recovered, he'll be a very good bullpen arm, at minimum. I think the big question is whether he can eventually handle 200 innings as a starter.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
ChasHawk said:
James52411 said:
The Cubs have no idea if Cashner can be a starter, so trading him for a good first base prospect makes sense. Unfortunately, this means I am going to be selling a few nice Cashner cards I have and reallocating those funds towards a Rizzo auto and some other things.
Why not wait to see if Cashner has a decent season, and see if Rizzo gets a Cubs auto?

Two pretty decent suggestions. I won't give the Cashner cards away.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
I think this a great trade for the Cubs. Rizzo's swing can get long but he has already proven he can make adjustments and the talent is there. I'd trade a high-ceiling position player for a high-ceiling pitcher every day of the week. Might not always work out but you'll win more than you lose. Especially in cases like this where the pitcher already has question marks about his arm and might not be able to transition back to a starter.

It's amazing how much of a facelift Theo has already given this team. If I was a Cubs fan, I'd be really excited.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
People that I've spoken to around San Diego never really liked Rizzo. He didn't hit at all when he came up to the big club and was a major disappointment. Hopefully he'll do better in Wrigley.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
rebelpawn said:
People that I've spoken to around San Diego never really liked Rizzo. He didn't hit at all when he came up to the big club and was a major disappointment. Hopefully he'll do better in Wrigley.
He had a 153 plate appearances and was a disappointment? You need to find some new people to speak to.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
Wow Theo is busy and actually building for the future. I love it! Though I liked Cash and would have loved to see him over a full season as a starter I am very pleased with getting Rizzo in return for him instead of the original rumor as part of a package for Garza.
Now Theo has the advantage of not "having" to trade Garza unless he gets blown away by a deal.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
padremurph said:
Well time to sell my lone Bowman Rizzo auto. Can someone shed some light on Cashner? Is he any good? Not too familiar with him.

I have a bunch of Cashner stuff I am willing to sell cheap.
PM me if interested.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
MisterT said:
mredsox89 said:
Rizzo get reunited with Theo who really liked him at the time of the Gonzalez trade

TRUE! I think Rizzo has a bright future and this puts him in a big market.

And more importantly, puts him in a Small stadium...

Good move for both IMO. Kinda surprised to see Cashner moved seeing how Theo seems to be stockpiling Pitching, but he musta still been a Rizzo fan.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
"ill take CARD WEIRDNESS for $200 alex"

Answer: anthony rizzo

"who is a current player who appears on multiple rookie/prospect cards wearing three different unis yet isn't on any of those teams come opening day"

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
I read last year that Rizzo was being compared to former Cub Hee Sop Choi. If there's anything to that then, Rizzo will fizzle out. Can't hit any pitch that starts with a 9 on the radar gun.

~AJ

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
ajbraves25 said:
I read last year that Rizzo was being compared to former Cub Hee Sop Choi. If there's anything to that then, Rizzo will fizzle out. Can't hit any pitch that starts with a 9 on the radar gun.

~AJ

I don't recall Rizzo's swing, but if it is a long as Pork Chop's he's not gonna' make it. :lol:

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Hallsgator said:
rebelpawn said:
He had a 153 plate appearances and was a disappointment? You need to find some new people to speak to.

Perhaps. But I don't think you, being on the other side of the country, probably heard the hype that the ownership and local media had for him. A .141 BA and striking out nearly a third of his plate appearances? Small sample true, but how can that not be a disappointment? Especially after being traded for the face of the franchise....

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
rebelpawn said:
Hallsgator said:
rebelpawn said:

Perhaps. But I don't think you, being on the other side of the country, probably heard the hype that the ownership and local media had for him. A .141 BA and striking out nearly a third of his plate appearances? Small sample true, but how can that not be a disappointment? Especially after being traded for the face of the franchise....

Yea, Rizzomania was in full force right before he got called up, it was nuts. We seriously thought we had the next Adrian on our hands. Then when he got up, he sucked, not even mediocre. Everyone was a little bummed that he was going to start the year in AAA (even before the Alonso deal) but we still had high hopes.

What gets me is that the Padres didn't trade for middle infield help. I had heard rumors of Hak Ju Lee and that made sense. Cashner, not so much.

Members online