Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did you guys get the email from Mike (MyPens66) about FCB???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
It seems a lot of you are failing to give credence to the fact HE STARTED THE SITE. Now I don't really have a fact based opinion, because I am not close to either side... but it seems like MyPens66 should not have HAD to do this. Whether he is 15 years old and/or didn't have any input in the site anymore, he still started it. Without him having the idea and bringing those initial people to the new site, Chris or whoever else is involved might not have had the opportunity to be here right now or to make a penny or to have any free stuff from sponsors. It seems to me (just a non-fact based opinion), the people who profit from this site owe a portion of the proceeds and respect to whoever created the site. It doesn't matter how much of their own they put into it, they quite possibly wouldn't be here without the site creator. I still like FCB, but this is a little off-putting.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
sportscardtheory said:
It seems a lot of you are failing to give credence to the fact HE STARTED THE SITE. Now I don't really have a fact based opinion, because I am not close to either side... but it seems like MyPens66 should not have HAD to do this. Whether he is 15 years old and/or didn't have any input in the site anymore, he still started it. Without him having the idea and bringing those initial people to the new site, Chris or whoever else is involved might not have had the opportunity to be here right now or to make a penny or to have any free stuff from sponsors. It seems to me (just a non-fact based opinion), the people who profit from this site owe a portion of the proceeds and respect to whoever created the site. It doesn't matter how much of their own they put into it, they quite possibly wouldn't be here without the site creator. I still like FCB, but this is a little off-putting.

From my understanding, he started a site and invited 50 or so ppl from beckett. Then, when he needed to move the site to a bigger server, Chris got involved, fronted the money, and became the main person.

Edit: And I do read something differently when it comes from an adult than when its from a teenager. Maybe I shouldn't but i do.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Anyone else find all of this just out of control? :lol:

I've been hitting refresh just watching this all unfold.

The current issue aside...
Personally I just want to talk about baseball cards and not have to worry about:
*not having the "right opinion" on something
*being belittled over something as trivial as stating an opinion

What happened to the love of the game, the hobby and the FUN of it all? Hope we can all take a step back and remember the simple joy of collecting.

For all the talk about the age of this guy, I've seen a lot of guys in their 20s and 30s acting like children of stupid card board. It just doesn't seem or feel right.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Topnotchsy said:
sethyarkony said:
SO wait.

first you read the email and say ok...

then you find out he is 16 and say...

oh yes immature!

mredsox89, explain your logic.

"If he is 15 or 16 the email makes a lot of sense, very immature"

if a 30 year old wrote it, what would you think?

come on now
I agree with this. And while people are saying that mypens would not have been able to take the site where it is now, I don't think that mypens is claiming that. It does seem like he is a capable young man who knows how to design websites, and could have something to offer to a site. Was the email immature? That's a separate topic and up for discussion.

I know that there were many times that when people found out my age they were surprised, but I was quite unhappy when people who had no problem listening to what I had to say on the boards, were all of a sudden hesitant when they heard of my age. I know that all I asked was that people judge me on my abilities as opposed to my age and I think he would like the same.

how old are you?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
angelsrockies4ever said:
Let's think about it like this:
Joe 1 starts a large, money-making company.
Joe 2 comes along and is much smarter than Joe 1 so he takes over the company.
Joe 2 decides Joe 1 did something wrong, so he fires Joe 1.

Joe 1 could have fired Joe 2 the whole time, but he continued to let Joe 2 take over and keep gaining more and more power to the point in which he is like the founder.

But im not sure if the site was making money prior to Chris taking control. i joined the site late so maybe i missed something but it seems like Mypens original site was just a for fun site, maybe im blind to the situation

pjnprospects

Aug 7, 2008
I don't really wont to get involved in this, but I would just like to add that a suspension of him is 100% reasonable. Personally I don't want to get an e-mail from him trying to get everyone involved in something, just because he is upset. I feel like it definetly could have been handled in a more mature way then it was.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
theplasticman said:
Anyone else find all of this just out of control? :lol:

I've been hitting refresh just watching this all unfold.

The current issue aside...
Personally I just want to talk about baseball cards and not have to worry about:
*not having the "right opinion" on something
*being belittled over something as trivial as stating an opinion

What happened to the love of the game, the hobby and the FUN of it all? Hope we can all take a step back and remember the simple joy of collecting.

For all the talk about the age of this guy, I've seen a lot of guys in their 20s and 30s acting like children of stupid card board. It just doesn't seem or feel right.

Amen.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
justinmandawg said:
sethyarkony said:
SO wait.

oh yes immature!

come on now

Relax. Young people look at older people (in general) like they are out of touch. Older people look at younger people like they are idiots. It is what it is. Usually both sides have a good idea what they are talking about.

He implied that any minor who makes a dumb statement is very immature and incapable of acting like someone who is older.

I want to know what he would think when someone older makes such a statement.

I didn't know minors had such less "lee-way" than adults.

If an older person made a statement like the email i would think he needed to grow up. He decided to start the website and wanted to be treated like an adult, and it seems when he didn't get his way he just started ignoring Chris and then sent out an email to every member telling them to abandon the site.
so you think there is a specific age or age range to qualify as "immature". there are kids my age (16) i know on this board who are far more mature than older members.

you still would judge a minor on this board because of their age?

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
mredsox89 said:
angelsrockies4ever said:
Let's think about it like this:
Joe 1 starts a large, money-making company.
Joe 2 comes along and is much smarter than Joe 1 so he takes over the company.
Joe 2 decides Joe 1 did something wrong, so he fires Joe 1.

Joe 1 could have fired Joe 2 the whole time, but he continued to let Joe 2 take over and keep gaining more and more power to the point in which he is like the founder.

But im not sure if the site was making money prior to Chris taking control. i joined the site late so maybe i missed something but it seems like Mypens original site was just a for fun site, maybe im blind to the situation

The original site was crap. Chris asked me to join when the site was first started, and it just looked like an overnight deal, so I didn't waste my time. When the boards switched to the current format, I joined.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
justinmandawg said:
sethyarkony said:
SO wait.

oh yes immature!

come on now

Relax. Young people look at older people (in general) like they are out of touch. Older people look at younger people like they are idiots. It is what it is. Usually both sides have a good idea what they are talking about.

He implied that any minor who makes a dumb statement is very immature and incapable of acting like someone who is older.

If an older person made a statement like the email i would think he needed to grow up. He decided to start the website and wanted to be treated like an adult, and it seems when he didn't get his way he just started ignoring Chris and then sent out an email to every member telling them to abandon the site.
so you think there is a specific age or age range to qualify as "immature". there are kids my age (16) i know on this board who are far more mature than older members.

No, but i would read what they say differently. That is different imo. But for me, college is the dividing line. And obviously you are going to have immature adults and mature teenagers, and since all we can do is read each others posts, we can only get a small idea of who the person really is

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
pjnprospects said:
I don't really wont to get involved in this, but I would just like to add that a suspension of him is 100% reasonable. Personally I don't want to get an e-mail from him trying to get everyone involved in something, just because he is upset. I feel like it definetly could have been handled in a more mature way then it was.
people found out about mypens' original site and this one through email recruiting of old BMB members...

one email really hurts that much?

how many people do you think found out about this site through email?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I have met a TON of great people here, and for that I am incredibly thankful...

...thats what it comes down to for me. Good people, talking about my favorite hobby, willing to take a minute out of their day just to say hi, or volunteer to help you in a certain avenue of your collection...

Not interested at all in taking sides, nor creating enemies...collecting cards is my santuary...

never want that to change...

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
sportscardtheory said:

I don't agree with this. If Mike had the idea to start a new message board he deserves credit for that; however if he put no money into what fcb has become he doesn't deserve any profit, merchandise, etc that is generated by the site. You can't patent the idea of a website. Hell, The Bench and Beckett were up long before this site, and neither of them deserves a penny of what is generated on this site.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I would like to personally thank Chris and the rest of the staff for all they have done for this site and any money they have put up so we have a place to chat and talk about the hobby where a suspension isnt handed out for disagreeing with a mod!

Thanks Gilmore!!

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
justinmandawg said:
[quote="sethyarkony":34wsuee4]SO wait.

oh yes immature!

come on now

No, but i would read what they say differently. That is different imo. But for me, college is the dividing line. And obviously you are going to have immature adults and mature teenagers, and since all we can do is read each others posts, we can only get a small idea of who the person really is[/quote:34wsuee4]
where this this magical dividing line at college come in? and how would you read it "differently". people in college have scored a 10 on their ACT, while some have scored a 36.

would you read those people's posts differently?

or would you say, "oh they are 18-20+ (or whatever), ill read their posts like a mature adult and completely value their opinion"

pjnprospects

Aug 7, 2008
sethyarkony said:
pjnprospects said:
people found out about mypens' original site and this one through email recruiting of old BMB members...

one email really hurts that much?

how many people do you think found out about this site through email?

The email recruiting old BMB members was a positive email trying to unite collectors. This email is making acusations, and trying to convert everyone to a new site. I said I don't want to get an email trying to invole everyone in something because mypens is upset. I'm aware this is his original site, and I appreciate that. I just think from the email I just recieved that he was acting very immature and turing this into a Cgilmo Vs. Mypens thing that I have no interest in getting involved in. I like FCB the way it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts