Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you miss the original BMB?

Do you miss the old BMB?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
The only thing I kind of miss are the amount of brand new collectors who would ask easy (for advanced guys) questions, such as why is their 1988 Topps worthless and what card is this and so on. I just like helping others when I can. Everyone here is just too advanced :lol:

But on the other hand, the mods were all stuck up no messing around and "you better not swerve around cuss words" type of guys.

Shat, frack, arse etc got you a warning or banning. And Im not talking about the ACTUAL words either.

I got suspended because I posted that its insane the 2006 Rookie Rolodex didnt include prospect cards, only MLB RC Logo guys eventhough Alex Gordon was the cover boy for that issue. Dare not talk bad about Beckett.

But in the end, "aint no way" I miss BMB.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
I don't really miss Beckett's message board.
The old Beckett Newsgroup I miss alot.
That was a very tight-knit group of friends.
Good manners and respect for one another was it's best asset.
Anybody here from way back then?
The BMB was pretty good until they made the link for the boards easier to find on the front page of the Beckett site.
Nothing against this site. Kudos to all of you who work so hard to run it.
David

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
The ONLY thing i miss about the old BMB was the amount of traffic and friends i had on the other sports boards. I am an absolute sports freak and i follow and collect all the 4 main sports to some degree and i miss the amount of traffic the other boards had, but that is about it.

I am very happy at FCB and it might take some time, but eventually we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
brumbach said:
I miss the BMB of Y2K and pre-2001, everyone checking in on the morning of 9/11 to make sure that we were all there and waiting forever to hear word from Gene McGarry. Nothing will ever top Ty Buttars auctioning off his Soul on eBay or the original Willie Wilson bug card or the stinking GU Jayson Williams card.

Good times! ^^
It's eerie to think back to 9/11, KNOWING I was sitting on the BMB boards bullshitting when that all went down, and watching it all unfold on TV with everyone.
Although those old days were nice, I don't miss the site one bit.
FCB is great. I appreciate everyone who made it happen!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
8-11-2010
G $MONEY$ said:
The ONLY thing i miss about the old BMB was the amount of traffic and friends i had on the other sports boards. I am an absolute sports freak and i follow and collect all the 4 main sports to some degree and i miss the amount of traffic the other boards had, but that is about it.

I am very happy at FCB and it might take some time, but eventually we will get the other sports boards going strong :D
6-14-2010
G $MONEY$ said:
It might take some time, but eventually we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

1-7-2010
G $MONEY$ said:
Eventually we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

10-24-2009
G $MONEY$ said:
I can't wait until we get the other sports boards going strong :D

8-15-2009
G $MONEY$ said:
It won't be much longer until we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

4-30-2009
G $MONEY$ said:
Sooner or later, we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

12-16-2008
G $MONEY$ said:
I can feel it! Soon we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

10-4-2008
G $MONEY$ said:
It's nice here, but I can't wait until we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
gwynn5453l4u said:
8-11-2010
G $MONEY$ said:

6-14-2010
[quote="G $MONEY$":284bewyv]It might take some time, but eventually we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

1-7-2010
G $MONEY$ said:

10-24-2009
G $MONEY$ said:

8-15-2009
G $MONEY$ said:
It won't be much longer until we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

4-30-2009
G $MONEY$ said:

12-16-2008
G $MONEY$ said:

10-4-2008
G $MONEY$ said:
It's nice here, but I can't wait until we will get the other sports boards going strong :D
[/quote:284bewyv]

:lol:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
The reason I didn't join this site until December of 2008 is because I was afraid it was going to be like the Beckett.

I joined Beckett in the mid-late '90s and hardly ever posted. As time went on, the reasons I didn't post only became more clear.

I understand the volume of site users was astronomical in the "good ol' days," but I'd say the core of valuable posters found their respective ways over here. I know a good handful where lost in the buzz, but, in general, the reasons (and posters) that inspired me not to be involved on Beckett, didn't migrate to this site.

Then FCB was born, and I watched from a distance for awhile; and as the site grew, it became something I wanted to try out.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Yes and No.

I really miss the "old" days from the boards when Ty Buttars, Eddy Starr, Dave Courtney, Sean C, David T, brumbach, Greg Brown, Craig Smith, and others lead the way on the boards and those were great times. (I know I'm forgetting some others here) No big fights, no bitching, ect. I was a newbie at the time and there were some great posts/reads from those guys.
Ty's wit and humor was second to none!

I also miss C-Biddy (Chris Bordan) when he was the Mod and took part in a lot of threads. C-Biddy was the man and was cool as hell. He collected fungus and mold spores among other things.

Those were the days when the BMB's were second to none and memories from those "Golden years" will forever be remembered.

Then C-Biddy left and the moderation slowly began to go downhill from there, and as David T mentioned access to the old boards was not easy to find. There was no direct link on the homepage. When they did add that link we started getting a slew of kids many of whom did not have the slightest clue about board etiquette.

Then as many of us recall the moderation became way too authoritative over time and that oppression was just too much to bear at times. The Beta transformation was the nail in the coffin, thus FCB. FCB is now the best board in the land with great ownership and moderation.

So again, Yes and No.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
It takes a minor miracle to grow traffic by sport.

Just have to wait for a group of collectors to get disenfranchised in bulk on another board. It's a waiting game to see what board screws up first.

hawkfandan

Aug 7, 2008
4600 North Chicago, IL
G $MONEY$ said:

+1 x 10!

It was much easier to get your fix for all four sports in one place. The basketball, hockey & football boards on the old BMB were awesome.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I cant say that I miss it, but I do think of the pre BMB implosion with fond memories. Fortunately, FCB filled any kind of voide nicely. So I can honestly say I never really "missed" it.

Wes

OG
Administrator
This is pretty funny. I don't see a merger coming up anytime soon.

gwynn5453l4u said:
8-11-2010
G $MONEY$ said:

6-14-2010
[quote="G $MONEY$":17bvr77v]It might take some time, but eventually we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

1-7-2010
G $MONEY$ said:

10-24-2009
G $MONEY$ said:

8-15-2009
G $MONEY$ said:

4-30-2009
G $MONEY$ said:

12-16-2008
G $MONEY$ said:

10-4-2008
G $MONEY$ said:
[/quote:17bvr77v]

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

omg, i just woke up and im laughing so hard

i have a dream..... one day we will get the other sports going strong :D

but even on the old BMB pre summer of 2008 the Baseball board was always the busiest. Even back then the viewership was 4:1 to the other sports.

gwynn5453l4u said:
8-11-2010
G $MONEY$ said:

6-14-2010
[quote="G $MONEY$":24sktz04]It might take some time, but eventually we will get the other sports boards going strong :D

1-7-2010
G $MONEY$ said:

10-24-2009
G $MONEY$ said:

8-15-2009
G $MONEY$ said:

4-30-2009
G $MONEY$ said:

12-16-2008
G $MONEY$ said:

10-4-2008
G $MONEY$ said:
[/quote:24sktz04]

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
The beckett boards had it all back in its day.
Sure don't miss the mods over there.
FCB is the closest thing there is to the old bmb.

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
If you were a football card fan, BMB was awesome. Even the mods were good. Floydtown was an outstanding moderator imo.

I've heard stories of this "Z" character and others. Glad I never bothered with BMB's baseball side of the house.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Randy Shields said:
Yes and No.

I really miss the "old" days from the boards when Ty Buttars, Eddy Starr, Dave Courtney, Sean C, David T, brumbach, Greg Brown, Craig Smith, and others lead the way on the boards and those were great times. (I know I'm forgetting some others here) No big fights, no bitching, ect. I was a newbie at the time and there were some great posts/reads from those guys.
Ty's wit and humor was second to none!

I also miss C-Biddy (Chris Bordan) when he was the Mod and took part in a lot of threads. C-Biddy was the man and was cool as hell. He collected fungus and mold spores among other things.

Those were the days when the BMB's were second to none and memories from those "Golden years" will forever be remembered.

Then C-Biddy left and the moderation slowly began to go downhill from there, and as David T mentioned access to the old boards was not easy to find. There was no direct link on the homepage. When they did add that link we started getting a slew of kids many of whom did not have the slightest clue about board etiquette.

Then as many of us recall the moderation became way too authoritative over time and that oppression was just too much to bear at times. The Beta transformation was the nail in the coffin, thus FCB. FCB is now the best board in the land with great ownership and moderation.

So again, Yes and No.

Pretty much sums it up for me, too. I was there back in 1999, and saw it all. I like it here. There's a lot of the "old BMB" here, anyway--format, style, people, etc.

Members online