Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Early ‘90s Magic gaming card sells for $27,000 on eBay!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Obviously not a baseball card but it's BGS graded and this section gets more traffic, so if a Mod wants to move, that's fine.

I think this is insane... Here is the link on Yahoo to the story: http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...ble-gaming-card-sells-27k-ebay-184353412.html

Here is the story itself, copy/paste:

We all know baseball cards can be worth insane amounts of money, but geekier trading-card fare is moving up in value too.

Pictured above is the ‘Alpha’ Black Lotus from the collectible card game Magic: The Gathering. Dubbed ‘Alpha’ because it was published in the game’s first edition back in 1993, the Black Lotus was printed in a run of only 1100, and is now on the game’s ‘Reserved List’ of cards that will never be reissued. It’s typically considered the most valuable Magic card ever printed -- but a recent eBay auction, which concluded on November 17, sets a new standard at $27,302.

The unusually high asking price may be a result of the card’s fine condition – a 9.5 on the 1-10 scale of professional sports card authentication. This qualifies the card as ‘Gem Mint’ – or practically perfect in every way, as Mary Poppins might put it.

Back in 1993, an 8-card 'booster pack' -- which might have contained a Black Lotus if you were lucky -- cost $2.45.

In gameplay, the Black Lotus is considered quite powerful, because it allows players to acquire large amounts of the essential ‘mana’ resource very rapidly. In fact, it’s made lists of the most overpowered Magic cards. Still, it’s unlikely this card’s proud new owner is planning to shuffle it into a deck and dull those beautiful Gem Mint edges.

Want your own Gem Mint Black Lotus? Break open the piggy bank – as we write this, there’s another one for sale on eBay. The asking price? A mere $37,888.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ha! $2.45 a pack my rear end. I had never seen a pack that low of anything but Fallen Empires and Homelands. A lot of retailers always jacked up the price, even if the product was brand new. I have never seen any packs of alpha below $5 and that was right when they came out. And of course I never purchased any. Like an idiot.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i played MTG back in 1994/5

Alpha Packs were impossible to find.
Beta Packs were int he $100 range
Revised Packs (3rd Edition) were $3
Fallen Empires were $1 at MOST lol

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I remember seeing one of these sell for around the same price in the last few years, pretty sure there was a thread on it at that time too.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Honestly though, what is the profile of the person who has $27,000 to bid/pay for this? Seriously! I mean is it safe to assume it is a millionaire? Like what the hell haha

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I remember doing a show in Louisville, KY in 1993 and a dealer next to me brought magic cards in to sell, he didnt move a single pack. Next show, he said he dumped them because no one was buying at $4 per pack. He claims to have sold them to a kid for half of what he paid for them wholesale.

Guess maybe he should have held on to them?????

Fordman

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Not so different from the profile of someone who spends nearly as much on modern sports cards...

$27,000 on a single card? Okay. I guess I just figured there wasn't much of that going on.

I also find it hard to believe a Magic card can hold value like a vintage baseball card worth $27k or whatever. I don't know.

---

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
$27,000 on a single card? Okay. I guess I just figured there wasn't much of that going on.

I also find it hard to believe a Magic card can hold value like a vintage baseball card worth $27k or whatever. I don't know.

---

Oh, they hold their value. Been proven over and over. Now, the real question is why. When I played/collected, I ran into zero people who collected. Everyone played and that was it. There were no bounds to what people would trade to achieve the final card to complete a deck they wanted to build. The whole idea of the game or concept does not really lend itself to actually "collecting" the cards. Everyone was about building and playing. That's it. My question is, starting in 2003ish...why the hell did everyone all of a sudden start collecting the cards? Why were older cards even cared about for any other purpose than to build decks. Add to that that the different TYPE tournaments frequently outlawed overly powerful cards or card combos and it made for no real reason to go after older cards to play with. So why the hell everyone started collecting them I have no idea. Not that I have any problem with it by any means. Just find it odd after all these years.

The real reason it sold for what it did was the grade. Older Magic cards are most likely very hard to find in gem condition as damn near all of them were played with. I played with mine. Even with the deck protector, they still don't always hold up well.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I started playing Magic back in 1994 (Revised and FE were the current sets at the time), and having been a sports card collector I couldn't bring myself to NOT use sleeves on the cards to keep them minty. I think Ultra Pro came out with the first "Deck Protectors" in 1995 or so. I used regular penny sleeves, since they covered all of the card and made it pretty easy to "shuffle" without bending the cards.

Affinity for the Power 9 and other "Type 1" cards may be for nostalgia? Heck, you've got guys paying top dollar for yesterday's non-HOF baseball stars, why wouldn't a MTG player/collector go after the cards he always wanted?

If I hadn't walked away from the game, I would have probably spent my money on acquiring the cards I lusted after as a teen, instead of whatever baseball cards I bought instead. I'm not sure I'd have gotten into grading MTG cards though, but who knows?

5 digits for a Lotus seems a bit much though. However, even a beat up Unlimited edition Lotus will fetch as much as a PSA 9 1986 Fleer Jordan rookie.

Last edited:

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I should have picked up the ones I seen the other day. It was a stack about an inch and a half thick and had older looking dice with it (the dice were yellowed and looked older. They were also in an older ziplock bag. Probably something in there worth more than the stack.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There are quite a few Magic cards that routinely sell for 4 figures, even ones not in Gem Mint condition. This sale has made the rounds of the Magic community, of course, and while the number is high, it's not wholly unexpected. A few years ago, someone paid $20K for a BGS 10 Alpha Black Lotus. It's since been listed on ebay continuously for $100K, and is viewed as more of a brag post/publicity for the guy's listings and website, which specializes in high-grade, high-end CCG cards. That a 9.5 apparently has sold for more is news, and points to a solidification in that segment of the market, and where new ceilings might lie for other top-end cards.

The article has a couple things wrong. First, Alpha packs were 15 cards, not 8 (8 card packs were used for a couple early sets but never the base set). The $2.45 price is just a little optimistic. When I started playing in 1994, the current core set was Revised and $2.79 was the standard price for packs locally, when they were available. Anyway, that's obviously a minor quibble. I bought my last full box (36 packs) of Revised just before 4th edition came out, IIRC, and I do remember paying $79 for it. That same box sells for at least 10x that today. Urgh.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Are there professional tournaments I'm not aware of which have big pay days and cards like this are in high demand for that?

---

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Are there professional tournaments I'm not aware of which have big pay days and cards like this are in high demand for that?

---

I'm not sure what cards are allowed in which tournaments but yes Mac, there are big payouts. There are all kinds of tournaments that go by certain TYPES. Each one is a little different and allows some things and not others. Everything local I ever played in was Type 2.

Smapdi, my beef was over the fact that I had never been to a store, save for Walmart or Target, that sold the packs for retail suggested prices. Shops always charged a killing for packs right after they came out. Maybe they stopped or aren't allowed to anymore. But around here they always did.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
LEAF "BEST OF EVERYTHING"!!!!!! is calling

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal

Blowing this kind of money for a Lotus isn't so a guy can have a better professional tournament deck. It's so he can show off and/or admire it in his own personal collection. He may also see it as an investment.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Blowing this kind of money for a Lotus isn't so a guy can have a better professional tournament deck. It's so he can show off and/or admire it in his own personal collection. He may also see it as an investment.

Blows my mind. That's just me.

---

Members online

Latest posts