Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Giants actively shopping Cain for a bat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
ru4scuba said:
kdailey4315 said:
There is no way that Sabean is stupid enough to trade Cain for Nick Johnson straight up. Yes Sabean has made some questionable trades the last few years (Nathan and Lariano for AJ come to mind) but please. If they want Johnson that bad then offer Sanchez. He's at least a No. 3 SP on that rotation.

You're underestimating Saben. He'll probably give up Cain and another player for Johnson.

So true, so very, VERY true. :cry:

I assume that trading Cain will remain a rumor, remember the deal was on the table to trade Lincecum to the Blue Jays for Rios and Sabean didn't pull the trigger. Plus the Giants are waiting on the young guns to catch up, with no Lowry in the future they'd be dead in the water trading away a front line starting pitchers for any hitters. They again need to wait and snag one big bat in the free agent market, instead of giving another over the hill average hitter, like Rowand and Renteria, too much money to stink it up. I highly doubt they move any of the three Cain, Sanchez or Zito.

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
So many posters in this thread have just made my foe list.

The Giants are at least 2 bats away from being a contender. And it's probably more like 3 good bats away from just being a contender. Anyone who believes different doesn't remember what a good baseball team looks like. Also I like Bumgarner and Alderson as much as anyone but those kids are no Matt Cain... yet.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
johnny rook said:

The Giants are at least 2 bats away from being a contender. And it's probably more like 3 good bats away from just being a contender. Anyone who believes different doesn't remember what a good baseball team looks like. Also I like Bumgarner and Alderson as much as anyone but those kids are no Matt Cain... yet.
How about we keep bumgarner and Cain and try to move Alderson Pucetas and Sanchez in a package deal for Fielder and Gamel :lol:

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
darocker80 said:
johnny rook said:

How about we keep bumgarner and Cain and try to move Alderson Pucetas and Sanchez in a package deal for Fielder and Gamel :lol:

But then where will the Panda play?

RANGERS25

Jan 23, 2009
thenumberonemetfan said:
bigalexx said:
To the Mets for Beltran?

That lineup without Beltran isnt a major league lineup.

FMart plus another bat for Cain maybe(hopefully).
I would like to see jon daniels and the rangers pull the trigger ob this one and put the KID (holland) back in the bullpen until next year. Next year, padilla or millwood is gone with the big contract, and i think that the rangers have plenty of bats to spare.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
johnny rook said:

How about you shut up :p

Seriously thought, the Fielder-for-Cain runmor has had legs since the end of last season. I would think Cain is the only pitcher the Brewers would be interested in (and have a decent shot at). The Brewers will be buyers and look to be buyers earlier in the year. But giving up Fielder and Gamel for Pucetas and Sanchez? They're looking to buy, not get *****. Doug Melvin would NEVER make that deal.

josh3302

Oct 28, 2008
Heres what I would do

Swisher and Kennedy for Cain

Swisher can play 1st and Kennedy would become their 5th starter.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
ronfromfresno said:
ru4scuba said:
kdailey4315 said:
There is no way that Sabean is stupid enough to trade Cain for Nick Johnson straight up. Yes Sabean has made some questionable trades the last few years (Nathan and Lariano for AJ come to mind) but please. If they want Johnson that bad then offer Sanchez. He's at least a No. 3 SP on that rotation.

You're underestimating Saben. He'll probably give up Cain and another player for Johnson.

I assume that trading Cain will remain a rumor, remember the deal was on the table to trade Lincecum to the Blue Jays for Rios and Sabean didn't pull the trigger. Plus the Giants are waiting on the young guns to catch up, with no Lowry in the future they'd be dead in the water trading away a front line starting pitchers for any hitters. They again need to wait and snag one big bat in the free agent market, instead of giving another over the hill average hitter, like Rowand and Renteria, too much money to stink it up. I highly doubt they move any of the three Cain, Sanchez or Zito.

Sabean has already confirmed that he's shopping Cain. It's not a rumor.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
ronfromfresno said:
ru4scuba said:
kdailey4315 said:

Sabean has already confirmed that he's shopping Cain. It's not a rumor.

So what do you guys that live out there make of this: link quashing rumor

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/05/g ... liday.html

* Schulman's "very high-level" Giants source says Matt Cain is not being dangled, contrary to an earlier rumor.
* Schulman agrees with Juan C. Rodriguez's report that the Giants have asked the Marlins about Dan Uggla.
* Schulman believes the Giants are talking to the Nationals about Nick Johnson. However, his source said the team has no interest in Matt Holliday. Much has been made of Holliday's slow start, but keep in mind he's hitting .296/.406/.494 in May.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
RANGERS25 said:
thenumberonemetfan said:
bigalexx said:
To the Mets for Beltran?

That lineup without Beltran isnt a major league lineup.

FMart plus another bat for Cain maybe(hopefully).
I would like to see jon daniels and the rangers pull the trigger ob this one and put the KID (holland) back in the bullpen until next year. Next year, padilla or millwood is gone with the big contract, and i think that the rangers have plenty of bats to spare.
I say Davis, Blalock and Murphy for Cain, like you said Millwood and Padilla will be FA's, I think we'll sign Millwood, and next year we'll have Holland and Feliz in the rotation and if Feldman, Harrison and Mccarthy pitch like they have we'll be well off.

Pills

Aug 7, 2008
OK, Yankees fans. Let's look at this objectively.

1) They're not trading for a starter. If anything, they'd be in the market, as always, for bullpen help.

2) If they did trade for Cain, the trade would not involve:
a) Anyone over 30. There goes: Posada, Jeter, ARod, Matsui, Damon, Molina
b) Anyone in the last year of a contract. There goes: Nady
c) Anyone signed to a long term contract for a lot of $. There goes: Teixeira
d) Anyone that wouldn't start on most teams. There goes: Gardner, the collective backup IFs.

That leaves: Cano, Melky and Swisher. Cano's not going anywhere; he's arguably a top 5 2B. Swisher's lifetime BA is under .250, and he's hitting in the .220s now.

In conclusion, if ANYONE is being moved, it's Melky. He's hot, he's 24, and he's got two guys breathing down his neck in Gardner and AJax. He can also play all 3 OF positions. Do I think that a trade like this would happen? No. However, if you're thinking about a big trade involving the Yankees, the FIRST name you must put on your list to go is Melky Cabrera.

(BTW, I think that the Rangers have plenty of bats to ship to SF to get Cain if it comes down to it)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Pills said:
OK, Yankees fans. Let's look at this objectively.

1) They're not trading for a starter. If anything, they'd be in the market, as always, for bullpen help.

2) If they did trade for Cain, the trade would not involve:
a) Anyone over 30. There goes: Posada, Jeter, ARod, Matsui, Damon, Molina
b) Anyone in the last year of a contract. There goes: Nady
c) Anyone signed to a long term contract for a lot of $. There goes: Teixeira
d) Anyone that wouldn't start on most teams. There goes: Gardner, the collective backup IFs.

That leaves: Cano, Melky and Swisher. Cano's not going anywhere; he's arguably a top 5 2B. Swisher's lifetime BA is under .250, and he's hitting in the .220s now.

In conclusion, if ANYONE is being moved, it's Melky. He's hot, he's 24, and he's got two guys breathing down his neck in Gardner and AJax. He can also play all 3 OF positions. Do I think that a trade like this would happen? No. However, if you're thinking about a big trade involving the Yankees, the FIRST name you must put on your list to go is Melky Cabrera.

(BTW, I think that the Rangers have plenty of bats to ship to SF to get Cain if it comes down to it)

Um, that's far too rational an arguement for Yankess fans to follow. You need to factor in hype and self-importance first (i.e. Nick Swisher and a washing machine for Matt Cain and another prospect).

I tease Yankee fans, but I'm also half serious.

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
I'm surprised that the Giants said they aren't even interested in Matt Holliday. Who cares if he is having a slow start. Everybody knows what he can do, and in that lineup, it's not hard to have a tough time hitting.

Also I'm not sure on the value/contract on Adam Dunn, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in Giants orange. Him and Ishikawa both strike out every 3 ab's. So it's not like we are getting power for K's, with Ishikawa we are getting K's with no contact. Man I would love seeing Dunn get them splash hits too!

Dunn signed a 2 yr/$20 M deal earlier this year, but not sure if he would be available. Thoughts?

Eric

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
LLWesMan said:
josh3302 said:
Heres what I would do

Swisher and Kennedy for Cain

Swisher can play 1st and Kennedy would become their 5th starter.

Another horrible offer.

It's stuff like this that makes the rational Yankee fans like myself look bad. I'm sure the Giants would love a .220 hitter and a guy who got destroyed last year and is coming off surgery for an aneurysm in exchange for a workhorse power arm who hasn't even hit his prime yet.