Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread - Part Two..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had someone send me 4 boxes.. :cool:

Nice bold auto as well..View attachment 118566
Who else did you get for autographs? I thought I might try to buy a set or two for the cause, but it seems that they were quite hard to come by retail. I didn't even bother to look. We have a Bartell's in our town, but I am way beyond roaming the countryside for crap like this. I'll leave that to all the younger and/or greedy bastards that do this kind of thing. Not going to line someone else's pockets though either. I'd only buy direct, so that the $ went to the charity.

Would be fun to pull something good, but knowing my luck, I'd get 2 sets and pull 2 Charlie Furbush autos! Or...not to sound insensitive, but a couple cancer survivor/patient autos. Let's face it, neat thrill for those kids & their families to be on their own cards and best of luck in their battles, but to be real how many strangers want those card otherwise.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Refractor??
It kind of looks like it, and if not, decent job on the angle and lighting. If no, someone is going to be very disappointed and a huge refund is in order. Of course, I can see how that could go south fast for the buyer. Seller claims...prove that you didn't "swap" out the cards and keep the "refractor". The risks of ungraded, unless ebay has the buyers back all the way on this.

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I looked again,I guess in a few area's it does like the name and helmet prolly is one

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Who else did you get for autographs? I thought I might try to buy a set or two for the cause, but it seems that they were quite hard to come by retail. I didn't even bother to look. We have a Bartell's in our town, but I am way beyond roaming the countryside for crap like this. I'll leave that to all the younger and/or greedy bastards that do this kind of thing. Not going to line someone else's pockets though either. I'd only buy direct, so that the $ went to the charity.

Would be fun to pull something good, but knowing my luck, I'd get 2 sets and pull 2 Charlie Furbush autos! Or...not to sound insensitive, but a couple cancer survivor/patient autos. Let's face it, neat thrill for those kids & their families to be on their own cards and best of luck in their battles, but to be real how many strangers want those card otherwise.

There are a few guys that I know that are trying to put the set together. I have a friend up there who has been getting me a few boxes here and there.. The stores are limiting the customers to 4 boxes..

There are some limited autos as the guy who created these with Topps, said that there were a few of the players only signed 100 cards where some others (like Furbush) signed up to 1000.. (and yes the last two boxes I recieved had Furbush autos in them).. The card stock reminds me of Topps Tiffany with a glossy front..

As far as where you might pick up a box, here is a map of all the Bartell's.. bartells.JPG

Here are some of the other cards I have opened..

6.jpgsir-mix.jpgpayton.jpglenny.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You have not done too badly. Of course, I like the old school Seattle guys like Wilkens and Payton. Would have liked to see some older Mariners, but most others would probably be moaning about low value. They really never had anyone of star quality (hobbywise) until Griffey came along. Langston, A. Davis, Bochte and R. Jones were fan faves, but nobody cares about them now.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
You have not done too badly. Of course, I like the old school Seattle guys like Wilkens and Payton. Would have liked to see some older Mariners, but most others would probably be moaning about low value. They really never had anyone of star quality (hobbywise) until Griffey came along. Langston, A. Davis, Bochte and R. Jones were fan faves, but nobody cares about them now.

I have been a Mariners fan from the beginning and I every so often there is an Archive Auto from an old Mariner that I will pick up..

archives-kevin-mitchell.jpgvizquel.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I usually only share the Dodger pick-ups, as I have that ongoing thread, but this was a recent grab at COMC. I have that Mitchell myself. Have a couple Harold Reynolds cards too. The late 80s/early 90s are good, but I am talking first decade stuff that I really like to see.

Alvin-Davis.jpg

Rawley, Bannister, Honeycutt, Cruz, Henderson, Bochte, Stinson, etc. These were the guys I was seeing at the games I caught as a kid.

When I really caught the autograph bug and started going all out, I had previously only really chased Dodgers and big stars. A collector on The Bench inspired me to start chasing down older (77-87) Topps/Fleer/Donruss TTM/IP cards and I became hooked. It was surprising to me just how many toughies the early Mariners had when it came to collecting autographs. I'd say they seem to have more than their fair share of tougher than average "commons"...Part of that could just be the sheer percentage of terribly average players they had, but even so, people seem to collect just about everyone and signatures of many of the obscure guys are just not around in any quantity. Some for obvious reasons and others just because...?

Randy Stein
Rod Craig
Kim Allen
Reggie Walton
Byron McLaughlin
Odell Jones
Jose Baez
Carlos Lopez
Rick Anderson
Greg Beircevicz
Bobby Brown
Jamie Allen
Tony Bernazard
Paul Serna
Lenny Randle
Jose Beniquez
Juan Bernhardt
Steve Burke
Jim Maler
Dave Edler
Kevin Pasley
Salome Barojas
Pat Putnam
Dave Revering
Bob Stoddard
Bill Caudill

Several more that don't come right to mind. I have enjoyed chasing them, but still need a few more here and there.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I'm guessing he had 1/10 and wiped the zero off.
Right above the 1/1 numbering there is like a warp bulge
So maybe it's from getting wet?
Seller looks to be a big griffe y Collector, wonder if he bought it that way?

Last edited:

Members online