Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
i put a bid in before i left for work, it didnt even make it in the running......... i had a chance a few years back to get one, deal was a lil shady tho
oh well.........

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Very nice card. I was hoping to see one of you guys win it. All I could do was watch. :lol: Mailday:

A big thank you to notjomommasclint for sening these 2 to me. He busted a box of Heroes and pulled them.
2008UDHeroes.jpg

I picked this one up off the bay.
2008HawaiiTradeConferenceGriffeyJoh.jpg

Joe

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
magicpapa said:
anyone bid?
KEN GRIFFEY JR 1998 SP PROSPECTS AUTO RARE 4/10 GEM!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AA:US:1123

Absolutely nuts!! There was one on ebay about 6 months back (contrary to the auctions decription) and it ended about 6 or 700. I remember because after that i went and looked for others. Found one, it just isnt for sale, but what a price this one got!! Wonder why it went so high...i understand it isnt seen often, but then again there arent many cards /10 that are!

phxsunsfan

Aug 13, 2008
muskiesfan said:
phx- Glad to hear that everything's being taken care of for you. That's a sweet card.

And that they did :) Now it is MINE MINE MINE. Long story behind that too. It bounced around between a friend and myself a little as part of an old deal, but I am now the owner. Amazing looking card in person. Don't care if there are 4 others out there like it, the fact that this was made for me is more then enough to make it one of the very few special cards in my collection.

IMG.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
phxsunsfan said:
And that they did :) Now it is MINE MINE MINE. Long story behind that too. It bounced around between a friend and myself a little as part of an old deal, but I am now the owner. Amazing looking card in person. Don't care if there are 4 others out there like it, the fact that this was made for me is more then enough to make it one of the very few special cards in my collection.

IMG.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

looks great phxsunsfan, glad ya got the 1/1 on it,
i sure wish i liked duels :cry: , i passed up a deal laneyb got last night

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Great cards everyone!

I like that card Roy. The new Artifacts has had some pretty nice stuff in it.

phxsunsfan- That is awesome. Glad everything worked out for you in the end. If I had the coin and you were still looking to move it, I'd try to land it from you, but that's out of my league. :lol:

Congrats to Jr. passing Sosa last night. It was nice to see him belt another one tonight too.

Joe

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
A FEW THANK YOU'S DUE

Thanks to Roy Bierchier, who was kind enough to trade me SPX American Hero Griffey Auto cards so I could add his card to my collection. I don't know how many of you know that I've been trying to put together a set of Griffey auto American Hero Cards KG #1 to KG #100 (doesn't matter if they are 1/3, 2/3 or 3/3) and so far I have 45/100. Long way to go and any help appreciated. Thank you Roy for your help, your card was shipped today.

Next I'd like to thank- who else- Magic Papa- who SAVED MY BUTT after I won a fraudulent buy back on ebay. He emailed me the list of those buybacks and none were released as a /30, the card I won.

1997buyback.jpg

This was the card, I like low # buybacks but should have checked first on the set release. He did and I didn't. Also on closer inspection, I think the ink color is wrong. Any comments welcome.

I'd also like to thank all those who have been emailing me, esp Magic Papa and Roy to alert me to American Hero Griffey Auto's on ebay. I do search daily, but I would have missed many of those if they had not alerted me.

Someday, if pediatrics ever calms down and I can stop buying Griffey for 2 minutes, I'll get some of my unique stuff up on the sight. I'll at least put up my favorite Griffey cards in my collection.

Dr Steve (58 years old by the way, I read the bd stuff, I don't even count them anymore)

SORRY I REPOSTED THIS BECAUSE I WANTED IN GRIFFEY THREAD AND PUT IN "BASEBALL" BY MISTAKE. ALL THIS FORUM STUFF IS NEW TO ME, THAT'S WHY ONLY OCCASIONAL APPEARANCES

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
Dr. Steve, no problem trading the card. I just want to see you complete the set. Of course, when you do, you will need to scan everyone of them for us. So we can droll over them.
The buybacks are tough. There are so many that have been renumbered. I quit buying buybacks a couple of years ago when UD refused to address the problem. If they would make their hologram database public it would help cut back on the fraud.

Roy

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Whats going on everyone? I've been away for almost two weeks with very little internet access. I've picked up a few random cards, including one I've been wanting since Roy picked it up (thanks again for the heads up). As soon as that arrives I'll post a scan. I saw this the other week and had never seen one before so I picked it up. Does anyone have any print run info?

1997-Ultra-PlatinumMedallion.jpg

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Well if anyone can answer my question, they would be found in this thread. My biggest regret is selling a Griffey auto I pulled from SP Authentic. The card was a buyback of a 2003 SPX Spectrum with the auto on card. The link below shows an example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPX-2003-Ken-Gr...goryZ213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Problem is, my card was numbered 8/10. I've never seen one numbered to 10 since then, only these to 49. Beckett doesn't list the card either and I never had a scan since I pulled it and flipped it at a show. Anyone seen or heard of this card /10?

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
notoriousrmb said:
Well if anyone can answer my question, they would be found in this thread. My biggest regret is selling a Griffey auto I pulled from SP Authentic. The card was a buyback of a 2003 SPX Spectrum with the auto on card. The link below shows an example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPX-2003-Ken-Gr...goryZ213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Problem is, my card was numbered 8/10. I've never seen one numbered to 10 since then, only these to 49. Beckett doesn't list the card either and I never had a scan since I pulled it and flipped it at a show. Anyone seen or heard of this card /10?

Hey Notorious, that's a nice card and I'm looking for one wth a black ink, I've got the one you linked to and this red one numbered to 13. I've never seen one numbered to 10 and I've only seen one buyback with black ink. I'll find one at some point in time.

2004-SP-Buyback-RedAuto2.jpg

coqxxx4

Aug 7, 2008
notoriousrmb said:

Notoriousrmb-

I have 3 of the SPx BuyBack auto (none came from the spectrum set)
2003 Ultimate Collection Buybacks #88 03 SPx 01/75
Griffey03UltimateCollectionBBAU03SP.jpg

The other 2 are not listed in the price guide. Back when I picked them up Magic helped me contact Upper Deck about the card and I have an emailed that states there they were in fact issued by Upper Deck. One of those being the auto numbered to 10 like the one you are talking about. Along with this one I do not beleive the Red auto numbered to 13 is in the price guide either.

2004 Sp Authentic BuyBack #?? 09/13 03 SPx
2004 SP Authentic BuyBack #?? 07/10 03 SPx
Griffey04SPAuthBBSPx-1.jpg
Griffey04SPAuthBBSPx10.jpg

I believe the Blue auto is the one you are talking about and I still have the email from Upper Deck if you would like to see it. Let me know if this helped you at all.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Nice pick up Bruce. Can't wait to see what else you have to post.

notorious- You definitely came to the right place. I think Kenny is right on. One of these guys can almost always help you.

Joe

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I agree completely, no more buybacks for me and they were my favorite.
I don't trust the easiness of alteration of the cards and no way to check that that hologram number corresponds to that number. Hopefully all my buybacks (alot) are ok, but who knows.
S

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
brinn1 said:
I don't trust the easiness of alteration of the cards and no way to check that that hologram number corresponds to that number. Hopefully all my buybacks (alot) are ok, but who knows.
S

I'm a big fan of buybacks, fake numbering or not (yeah it stinks that someone would change the numbers) the autographs are legit. I'll continue to buy them.

Bruce

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Wow, you guys were certainly on it! Ok, glad to see I wasn't loosing my mind thinking the card was /10. It was a beautiful on card auto and a card I wish I had back. But, sometimes an offer is just too good to pass up. Thanks for the help everyone!

And yes, if you have that email from UD I would love to see it. I'll shoot you a PM.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
brinn1 said:
S

yea if you dont check into them, you could really get a bad deal, :cry: :cry:

i still love the older ones tho ;) ,and my 3's :lol: :lol:

2000buyback1.jpg
2000buyback2.jpg
2001buyback.jpg

3griffeys.jpg

Members online