Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattlefantillIdie

Oct 2, 2008
KENMORE, WASHINGTON
brinn1 said:
SeattlefantillIdie

I have graded rookie card, upper deck, PSA 8.5, autographed, according to populations reports, highest graded card of that type, raw, not incased but has sticker closure to a plastic covering around card. The auto is also authenticated. Would love to get the picture up. (broken record)
That wasn't one you sent for grading, was it?

Nope, sorry, not mine, although all former BMB members nailed my old Autos.

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am going to start displaying my favorite cards in the collection as I am able to take pictures and post.

The first card, I find interesting and it's story interesting as well.

Upper Deck released a cherry wood box with felt lining containing 10 cards. The cards were Exquisite Signature cards containing autographs of the player and all 10 cards were stamped with the same number, from 1 to 10/10. Even more interesting is that the cards had numbers 91 to 100 on the backs, so they were needed for anyone who wanted to complete the 2006 Upper Deck Exquisite Set previously numbered on the back from 01 to 90. Collectors who thought they had the entire set were suddenly faced with the fact that there were 10 cards out there still, that they would need to finish the set of now 100 cards. The cards are only found in Beckett under that set and comprise the cards #91 to #100.

The actual 10 cards represented 5 veterans and 5 rookies and the 5 rookie cards are all marked "rookie card". They are all autographed. The 10 players included Veterans Griffey, Jeter, Clemmens, Thome and Pujols. The 5 rookies included Stephen Drew, Justin Verlander, Jared Weaver, Francisco Liriano and Howie Kendrick.

Again all cards stamped 01/10 and numbered #91-#100 on the back for set collectors and autographed by the player.

I've never understood why the box release with 10 stamped Exquisite Signature Cards containing such great players, never received the attention I thought it deserved. The Griffey card itself is almost impossible to own but the set complete, should be a treasured collectable. Instead, I've never seen it in Beckett releases nor ever seen any extensive discussion of the box set or for that matter, not even alot of interest in the set. What am I missing?

The box and cards were available only through redemption and there were 10 of them to redeem. According to a close friend, who is also close to some "higher ups" at Upper Deck, only 5 of the 10 boxes were redeemed before the expiration date. Of these 5 boxes and sets, to the best of my knowledge, 3 sets were "broken up" and cards were sold separately. There could be a third intact set, of that I'm not complete certain. I know that 01/10, and 04/10 sets are still intact. I sold 04/10 to a person from Canada, and I own 01/10.

So, it appears that there are only 5 Griffey's out there from these boxed sets, numbered 01/10, 02/10, 03/10, 04/10 and 05/10. Only 2 of them, 04/10 and 01/10 remain in the original sets.

This is the Griffey Card from the 04/10 set of 10 cards and box I sold to the Canadian.

EbayCards072007023_edited-1.jpg

[center:2hqns41r]
EbayCards072007002_edited-1.jpg
[/center:2hqns41r]

[center:2hqns41r]
EbayCards072007004_edited-1.jpg
[/center:2hqns41r]

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
Those are nice cards brinn (the exquisite set i mean)....the ones you have are /10 and are considered a silver(?) // but there were also gold //'s that were released as well...they were numbered to 5. I had one, but since it was a sticker, and i needed money to make my big immortal inscription purchase, i had to sell it. Was happy to get 500 for it after i bought for 250. Unfortunately, the other exquisites from the set never got much attention. I think it had to do with being sticker autos (UD claimed they were on card at one point), and getting delayed nearly a year from when UD said they would be releasing the cards. ANyway, here is my (gone) griffey /5.

exqreg.jpg

In a side note, i did pick up another card recently.....
mvpauto.jpg

my money seems to have been going elsewhere though lately....i couldnt wait to get my baby fixed after some idiot backed into her and drove off...she looks brand new now, and was given a small addition to the sides for her troubles!!

100_1007.jpg

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Well, "my baby" is a 2007 red Z06 Corvette, 21,000 miles, drive her every day and every where- no garage for my little one. My last corvette was a C5 body 1999 which I drove for 9 years and which was "aftermarketed" to the extent of rebuilt engine, suspension all for racing. It was faster than the Z06 but never ran smoothly after re-programming.

Thanks much for telling me about the gold /5 version of the exquisite signature Griffey (Of course I have the 1/1 Exquisite Signature Griffey 2006 to go with my Boxed /10 set).

I didn't know they did a /5. Did they ever release the /5 as a set of cards or is the /10 set the only one released as a "set"? I think the /10 box set is cool as hell, and don't plan on breaking up my set unless I get desperate (wait, I am desperate). The rookies with Kendrick and Drew etc are coming on as well. I've just never seen a set of cards with the likes of Griffey, Jeter and Pujols released as a set that went together. It remains one of my favorite collection items.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
The /5 were released as individuals, not as a box like the /10's......mine is now in HI

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
John, just wanted to say that I like that MVP auto. I've always had my eye on those but have never pulled the trigger. Great pickup!

Bruce

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Well we've seen the 1/10 Griffey 2006 Exquisite Signatures card, the 1/5 Griffey 2006 Exquisite Signatures card and I thought it was time to see the 1/1 Griffey 2006 Exquisite Signatures card

100308014-1.jpg

100308015.jpg

SeattlefantillIdie

Oct 2, 2008
KENMORE, WASHINGTON
brinn1 said:
Well we've seen the 1/10 Griffey 2006 Exquisite Signatures card, the 1/5 Griffey 2006 Exquisite Signatures card and I thought it was time to see the 1/1 Griffey 2006 Exquisite Signatures card

100308014-1.jpg

100308015.jpg

SICK, SICK card! You shouldn't even be legally allowed to show that card it's so dang SICK! Man, TOO sweet! Wonder how many wouldn't mind having that baby in their back pocket??!! UMM how about dang near EVERYONE!
How'd you end up with it? What did it run; if you don't mind my asking?

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
One card mailday...Glad I finally found one of these, now all I need are the 1/1's! Anyone have an extra or two laying around?

2005-Artifacts-NLAuto.jpg

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Laney B
I believe you mentioned 1/1 MLB and NL Artifacts Rare Apparel cards laying around.
To my knowlege there were 2 made in 2005 (1/1 from NL and 1/1 from MLB), in 2006 only 1 (MLB 1/1) and in 2007 only 1 (MLB 1/1). There were none before 2005 that I know of and 2007 was the last one I know of. As we speak I have all 4 of those cards. Its the set I was going to put up next as my favorite in my collection and still plan to do that if I get it together.

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
brinn1 said:
Laney B
I believe you mentioned 1/1 MLB and NL Artifacts Rare Apparel cards laying around.
To my knowlege there were 2 made in 2005 (1/1 from NL and 1/1 from MLB), in 2006 only 1 (MLB 1/1) and in 2007 only 1 (MLB 1/1). There were none before 2005 that I know of and 2007 was the last one I know of. As we speak I have all 4 of those cards. Its the set I was going to put up next as my favorite in my collection and still plan to do that if I get it together.

Scans please, so I can drool over them :)

Roy

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Great pick up Bruce! That is a great looking card.

I can't wait to see the scans Dr. Steve. More cards to drool over.

Pin- Very nice pick ups. Congrats on the great items!

Joe

Members online