Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help.. 90 donruss aqueous

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
His Ryan he sold individually brought $1800+, so it should sell huge to the 2nd place bidder.

Might not do that well with 2 Ryans listed at the same time. Oddly enough there are 2 Clemens listed right now too. Will this many of these hitting the market at the same time bring the prices down? Seems to be quite a few cards listed and closed recently.

jp1216

Aug 9, 2012
Can't someone fake these stamps and flood the market? There must be a way to identify this...

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Can't someone fake these stamps and flood the market? There must be a way to identify this...

I'm guessing there is a way to fake the "stamp". I'm no expert, I know there have been a couple of Aqueous threads in the past attempting to answer this question.

I can tell if a Robby Thompson Aqueous card is fake, I own 9 of them and know the placement of the Aqueous mark by heart.
Unfortunately the placement of the mark is different for each player. I also don' think the cards are extremely rare, like I said I own 9 Thompson's, I lost out on one recently and there is one in the PSA population report, that makes 11 know Thompson's. I've also lost out on about 4 or 5 other Thompson's in the last couple of years, but I may own some of those now as they happen pop up on eBay from time to time and I never kept track of who won the auctions. This means that there are at least 11 but maybe up to 20 copies of the Thompson card in circulation. If these cards came from complete sheets then there at least that many copies for each player in the set.

1990DonrussAqueousTestThompson.jpg

1990DonrussAqueousTest2ThompsonBack.jpg

AqueousBack.jpg

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.

Hey Jon! There used to be a website selling fakes. Some were sold, so there are fakes out there. I dont know of a simple way to tell, you just have to hope the scammer made a mistake and you catch it. Wrong font etc.

fakes.jpg

fakecarteraqueous.jpg

FAKEGRIFFEYAQUEOUS.jpg
fakejacksonaqueous.jpg
fakeduncanaqueous.jpg

miked211

Dec 20, 2009
The AQUEOUS TEST on the back should not be a stamp, if so it is a fake. The AQUEOUS TEST on the back is printed in the same ink that all the other writing and stat are printed in. It is not a stamp. It is also in the same place for each player. I have some from Chandy and some from this new seller including a unopen pack that I opened. These are real but the question is: How many of these did he find? Chandy had mostly low number cards and the high numbers were prety rare. Many of these cards are high numbers.
Michael

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
My question is, what exactly does "aqueous test" mean?

If donruss was testing something on these cards, wouldn't it be visible?

If u look at 2002 donruss originals, the aqueous inserts are glossy (though not marked).

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
My question is, what exactly does "aqueous test" mean?

If donruss was testing something on these cards, wouldn't it be visible?

If u look at 2002 donruss originals, the aqueous inserts are glossy (though not marked).

Here's how one member on CU put it-

"I'll try to explain based on my recollection from being in the industry from 1984-1998.

In the 90s we were trying to cut down on using some of the really harmful chemicals involved in the printing process. Using solvents with high toluene content and the like in areas that were not well ventilated can cause problems in both the near and long term. It's hard to use these chemicals and not inhale the fumes or get them on your skin.

The offset printing process up until then involved burning the image onto a photographic plate which was then mounted on the printing press. As the press revolved a solution of water, chemicals and salts, and alcohol was applied to the plate along with the ink. The water solution kept the non-image or blank areas of the plate from attracting ink. The ink stuck to the image areas.

In the early 90s some companies tested plates that needed only water to keep the non-image areas clean. This cut down on the exposure to chemicals, and cut costs. Some of these plates worked, some did not. I did not have any customers who switched permanently to the new process and I don't know if this is now an accepted concept."

Keith (CU)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Does anyone well versed in what happened here and the test run want to write an article on it? We need one on the front page and this isn't my area of expertise. I'm buying.

Now you're talking! I'd solicit ronfromfresno, he's put in the man hours already to know a thing or 2.

Did these packs kinda come out of nowhere? Are they concerning at all to anyone?

Last edited:

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I thought these were only made with cards 1-264? There are a few numbered up to 280 though on ebay.

Up to 283 have been found that I'm aware of. Then you have DK, BC etc. http://www.psacard.com/PSASETREGISTRY/alltimeset.aspx?s=65444

I've always heard around 300. Think they had 144 card sheets back then. 2 different sheets is 288 cards. "Low Series" majority to Chandy and "High Series" majority to the another guy who many assume is the current pack seller. Chandy has sold some cards in the 160 range so he didn't only get "low" series. Not sure who else rec'd them, if anyone. Unsure if they had larger sheets or more but smaller as 2 144 card sheets is not enough. As there are DK, BC- etc.

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I thought these were only made with cards 1-264? There are a few numbered up to 280 though on ebay.

The numbering is not all inclusive, meaning cards 1-whatever were not all produced. PSA lists 263 different cards, covering 1-283, mainly seeming to exclude some of the Diamond Kings, cards 36-47 and including only BC1-9 of the MVP set. Sheets at that time were usually 132 or 264 cards, so there may have been one double printed card. Remember the most common set sizes in those days were some multiple of 132;

792 for Topps (132 x 6)
660 for Fleer and Donruss (132 x 5).

Even the smaller boxed sets usually fit the sheets evenly...Topps little boxed sets were usually 33 cards (33 x 4 = 132) and Fleer's were 44 cards (44 x 3 = 132). Topps Traded and Fleer Update sets were always 132 cards exactly. Not sure how Donruss handled theirs since the 56 card Rookies and Highlights sets don't go evenly into 132.

Typically when the numbers didn't come out even, like when Donruss added of the MVP cards, they resorted to double-printing cards on the same sheet to fill out the sheet, or short printing certain cards to be able to fit the extra cards on the sheet. Hence the terms short print (SP) and double print (DP) in the set listings. For the 1990 Donruss set, there were 716 base cards + 26 MVP cards = 742. That doesn't divide evenly by 132, so they double printed a bunch of cards. Unfortunately, I only count 48 DP's in SCF's system, so that only comes to 790, which makes me think there may be two DP's unaccounted for.

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Woo hoo! Just won my 2nd Butler for a whopping $6. Very pleased - I'm thinking this one will go in for grading.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I am thinking a huge find may have been hit and its going to slowly unfold itself over time.

Members online

No members online now.