Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How good will the Yankees be in 2009?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Casey2884 said:
While I do think the Yanks will be better this year, where do you get off labeling all of last year's injured players as "Full Season" this year in your parentheses? Do you think at the beginning of last season the prognosticators were labeling those players as "**** will miss 15-17 starts," "Matsui will miss half the year," "A-rod will miss 4 weeks," "Joba will get injured," "Posada will only play half a season," etc.? My point is there is absolutely no way to predict injuries - yes they may all be healthy on April 1, 2009, but after that, it's anybody's guess ... so temper your enthusiasm.
What happened to your sweet rainbow sig?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As a Yankee fan, I believe the Yankees had just gotten rid of a bunch of long, painful contracts, and have jumped right back in giving out a few more of the same. That said, there's no reason why for the next couple of seasons those contracts do not produce dividends. None of the players the Yankees signed have been problems anywhere else, so while it may take some time to gel, I don't see chemistry being a real problem.

Personally I wonder what will happen to Hughes, Kennedy, and anyone else coming through the pipeline. I think they still deserve another legit shot, and if they aren't going to get it, they should have been traded a year ago when their value was higher.

I do think the Yanks will make the Playoffs as I do not think the Rays will be nearly as good as they were this year (they made the Series but somehow I still don't buy that they will be a contender going forward.) That said, it's not really a team I have much interest in anymore.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Topnotchsy said:
As a Yankee fan, I believe the Yankees had just gotten rid of a bunch of long, painful contracts, and have jumped right back in giving out a few more of the same. That said, there's no reason why for the next couple of seasons those contracts do not produce dividends. None of the players the Yankees signed have been problems anywhere else, so while it may take some time to gel, I don't see chemistry being a real problem.

Personally I wonder what will happen to Hughes, Kennedy, and anyone else coming through the pipeline. I think they still deserve another legit shot, and if they aren't going to get it, they should have been traded a year ago when their value was higher.

I do think the Yanks will make the Playoffs as I do not think the Rays will be nearly as good as they were this year (they made the Series but somehow I still don't buy that they will be a contender going forward.) That said, it's not really a team I have much interest in anymore.
To think they said no to johan to keep melky and hughes righ? look wht they doing now, but i reallyhope hughes can pull it together

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
darocker80 said:
Topnotchsy said:

To think they said no to johan to keep melky and hughes righ? look wht they doing now, but i reallyhope hughes can pull it together

The Twins wanted ****, Hughes and Melky....the deal was not just for Hughes...Cashman was on the record saying that

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
jdacunha said:
darocker80 said:
Topnotchsy said:

The Twins wanted ****, Hughes and Melky....the deal was not just for Hughes...Cashman was on the record saying that
I don't ever recall **** being in there. FOr johan for 1 year i thought it was like hughes melky kennedy and someone else

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
jdacunha said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
darocker80 said:
posada won't be able to put up the same numbers as in 2007. 2 years older and coming off injury.

That's the realism that many yankees fans lack right now. This team is getting older. The guys that everyone keeps saying are coming back from injury seem to miss time every year. The good to average players with bad contracts are being replaced with good or a little better options with equally bad contracts.

????? clarify please

CC will probably do about the same as Moose did last year. Burnett (Yes the guy with a 4+ ERA and only won more than 12 games once in his career) replaces Andy. I don't see Swisher and Teix as an enormous improvement over Giambi and Abreau (improvement yes, but not a huge one). Combine this with Jeter starting to decline a bit, and Posada at that wonderful time in the career of catchers where sudden drop offs can start any year. I just don't see the enormous improvement.

That said, if they are able to replace someone in that outfield with Manny then yes, they are the best team in the division.

ostrander111

Aug 7, 2008
PA
darocker80 said:
jdacunha said:
darocker80 said:
Topnotchsy said:

I don't ever recall **** being in there. FOr johan for 1 year i thought it was like hughes melky kennedy and someone else

In my opinion, when **** is healthy, he is a better pitcher than Santana

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
nyc3 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
darocker80 said:
posada won't be able to put up the same numbers as in 2007. 2 years older and coming off injury.

That's the realism that many yankees fans lack right now. This team is getting older. The guys that everyone keeps saying are coming back from injury seem to miss time every year.

What? who?

I'm too lazy to look up actual statistics on games played, but Matsui comes to mind. This guy seems like he misses significant time every year.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
ostrander111 said:
darocker80 said:
jdacunha said:
darocker80 said:
Topnotchsy said:

I bet you're glad opinions can't be wrong.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
darocker80 said:
jdacunha said:
darocker80 said:
Topnotchsy said:

Earlier in the year Cashman was being interviewed by Kim Jones on the Yes Network and he claimed that was the deal. I don't know if he was telling the truth or not but that is what he claimed

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Tomlinson21RB said:
nyc3 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
darocker80 said:

That's the realism that many yankees fans lack right now. This team is getting older. The guys that everyone keeps saying are coming back from injury seem to miss time every year.

What? who?

I'm too lazy to look up actual statistics on games played, but Matsui comes to mind. This guy seems like he misses significant time every year.

Ok...that is 1 player...the Yankees are probably going to trade him anyway...they have depth at his position

ostrander111

Aug 7, 2008
PA
Tomlinson21RB said:
ostrander111 said:
darocker80 said:
jdacunha said:
darocker80 said:
[quote="Topnotchsy":xa815cu9]As a Yankee fan, I believe the Yankees had just gotten rid of a bunch of long, painful contracts, and have jumped right back in giving out a few more of the same. That said, there's no reason why for the next couple of seasons those contracts do not produce dividends. None of the players the Yankees signed have been problems anywhere else, so while it may take some time to gel, I don't see chemistry being a real problem.

I bet you're glad opinions can't be wrong.[/quote:xa815cu9]

You bet! but they can be right! ;)

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
ostrander111 said:
darocker80 said:
jdacunha said:
darocker80 said:
Topnotchsy said:

I'm a Yankees fan and you are crazy. Santana>>>****...it isn't even close

The deal wouldn't make sense to give up a 19 game winner for another 19 game winner and pay his salary and give up quality pitching prospects.

ostrander111

Aug 7, 2008
PA
jdacunha said:
ostrander111 said:
darocker80 said:
jdacunha said:
darocker80 said:
[quote="Topnotchsy":2vfv5fhj]As a Yankee fan, I believe the Yankees had just gotten rid of a bunch of long, painful contracts, and have jumped right back in giving out a few more of the same. That said, there's no reason why for the next couple of seasons those contracts do not produce dividends. None of the players the Yankees signed have been problems anywhere else, so while it may take some time to gel, I don't see chemistry being a real problem.

The deal wouldn't make sense to give up a 19 game winner for another 19 game winner and pay his salary and give up quality pitching prospects.[/quote:2vfv5fhj]

I may be crazy but when healthy, **** put up two 19 win seasons in a row. Johan has been 20 then 13 then 15 or something like that

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
ostrander111 said:
jdacunha said:
ostrander111 said:
darocker80 said:
jdacunha said:
[quote="darocker80":1qo2jmep][quote="Topnotchsy":1qo2jmep]As a Yankee fan, I believe the Yankees had just gotten rid of a bunch of long, painful contracts, and have jumped right back in giving out a few more of the same. That said, there's no reason why for the next couple of seasons those contracts do not produce dividends. None of the players the Yankees signed have been problems anywhere else, so while it may take some time to gel, I don't see chemistry being a real problem.

The deal wouldn't make sense to give up a 19 game winner for another 19 game winner and pay his salary and give up quality pitching prospects.[/quote:1qo2jmep]

I may be crazy but when healthy, **** put up two 19 win seasons in a row. Johan has been 20 then 13 then 15 or something like that[/quote:1qo2jmep]

Dude, I love **** and he is an important SP for the Yankees but he is NOT JOHAN....Wins are the worst measure when comparing SPs. look at WHIP, ERA & K/9

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
2nd or 3rd place team. In Teixeira, they finally have a truly above average defensive player, but are still bad. They don't have much team speed, and the best athletes are getting up there in age. Their rotation consists of one monster, an injury-prone tease of a talent, a solid-good pitcher coming off an injury to his foot, a very young super talent who hasn't shown he can pitch a full season as a starter, and a very young high-ceiling talent who might just be injury prone.

So it's a team with improved pitching, but a rotation filled with question marks, with poor defense and little speed. Also it's likely Nady hits more like he did in NY than he did in Pittsburgh before he was traded, and it's not at all unreasonable to think that Damon's numbers will slip a bit. It seems people think this is a dominant lineup, but looking at it, it's nothing special unless everything breaks their way. Teixeira and Rodrigues will be dynamic, but what else?

ostrander111

Aug 7, 2008
PA
jdacunha said:
ostrander111 said:
jdacunha said:
ostrander111 said:
darocker80 said:
[quote="jdacunha":xq94b40k][quote="darocker80":xq94b40k][quote="Topnotchsy":xq94b40k]As a Yankee fan, I believe the Yankees had just gotten rid of a bunch of long, painful contracts, and have jumped right back in giving out a few more of the same. That said, there's no reason why for the next couple of seasons those contracts do not produce dividends. None of the players the Yankees signed have been problems anywhere else, so while it may take some time to gel, I don't see chemistry being a real problem.

The deal wouldn't make sense to give up a 19 game winner for another 19 game winner and pay his salary and give up quality pitching prospects.[/quote:xq94b40k]

I may be crazy but when healthy, **** put up two 19 win seasons in a row. Johan has been 20 then 13 then 15 or something like that[/quote:xq94b40k]

Dude, I love **** and he is an important SP for the Yankees but he is NOT JOHAN....Wins are the worst measure when comparing SPs. look at WHIP, ERA & K/9[/quote:xq94b40k]

True true......i just like **** too much..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aug 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
How can anyone compare the 2008 Tigers to the 2009 Yankees. I am not gauranteeing victory or anything next year, but I think thats laughable.

Just comparing a staff like Verlander, Rogers, Robertson, Bonderman, Willis..with Sabathia, ****, Burnett, Chamberlain, Hughes/Aceves/Pettitte. The Yankees have 3 aces on next years team..and joba has the potential to be one in '09.

the closer difference... Rivera > Jones

the lineup:

Posada > Rodriguez
Tex = Cabrera. Tex has a great glove as well...huge upgrade over Giambi
Cano > Polanco
Arod > Guillen
Jeter > Renteria
Damon > Thames
Granderson > Melky/Gardner
Ordonez > Nady
Sheffield > Matsui

am I just being bias or does anyone agree with me? :lol:

Kevin

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
ostrander111 said:
jdacunha said:
ostrander111 said:
jdacunha said:
ostrander111 said:
[quote="darocker80":3blaqg0p][quote="jdacunha":3blaqg0p][quote="darocker80":3blaqg0p][quote="Topnotchsy":3blaqg0p]As a Yankee fan, I believe the Yankees had just gotten rid of a bunch of long, painful contracts, and have jumped right back in giving out a few more of the same. That said, there's no reason why for the next couple of seasons those contracts do not produce dividends. None of the players the Yankees signed have been problems anywhere else, so while it may take some time to gel, I don't see chemistry being a real problem.

whoah :?

The deal wouldn't make sense to give up a 19 game winner for another 19 game winner and pay his salary and give up quality pitching prospects.[/quote:3blaqg0p]

I may be crazy but when healthy, **** put up two 19 win seasons in a row. Johan has been 20 then 13 then 15 or something like that[/quote:3blaqg0p]

Dude, I love **** and he is an important SP for the Yankees but he is NOT JOHAN....Wins are the worst measure when comparing SPs. look at WHIP, ERA & K/9[/quote:3blaqg0p]

True true......i just like **** too much..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:3blaqg0p]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts