Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How good will the Yankees be in 2009?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Brett Keith said:
2nd or 3rd place team. In Teixeira, they finally have a truly above average defensive player, but are still bad. They don't have much team speed, and the best athletes are getting up there in age. Their rotation consists of one monster, an injury-prone tease of a talent, a solid-good pitcher coming off an injury to his foot, a very young super talent who hasn't shown he can pitch a full season as a starter, and a very young high-ceiling talent who might just be injury prone.

So it's a team with improved pitching, but a rotation filled with question marks, with poor defense and little speed. Also it's likely Nady hits more like he did in NY than he did in Pittsburgh before he was traded, and it's not at all unreasonable to think that Damon's numbers will slip a bit. It seems people think this is a dominant lineup, but looking at it, it's nothing special unless everything breaks their way. Teixeira and Rodrigues will be dynamic, but what else?

They were 4th in SBs last year and you are saying they don't have speed? Damon, Jeter, Gardner, Arod all have above average speed...its not as good as some teams...but dont say it is bad

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
fans of other teams are trying to find any comparision to knock the Yankees....I can't wait for 09

KevinNYYLundqvistFan said:
How can anyone compare the 2008 Tigers to the 2009 Yankees. I am not gauranteeing victory or anything next year, but I think thats laughable.

Just comparing a staff like Verlander, Rogers, Robertson, Bonderman, Willis..with Sabathia, ****, Burnett, Chamberlain, Hughes/Aceves/Pettitte. The Yankees have 3 aces on next years team..and joba has the potential to be one in '09.

the closer difference... Rivera > Jones

the lineup:

Posada > Rodriguez
Tex = Cabrera. Tex has a great glove as well...huge upgrade over Giambi
Cano > Polanco
Arod > Guillen
Jeter > Renteria
Damon > Thames
Granderson > Melky/Gardner
Ordonez > Nady
Sheffield > Matsui

am I just being bias or does anyone agree with me? :lol:

Kevin

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
How can anyone compare the 2008 Tigers to the 2009 Yankees. I am not gauranteeing victory or anything next year, but I think thats laughable.

Just comparing a staff like Verlander, Rogers, Robertson, Bonderman, Willis..with Sabathia, ****, Burnett, Chamberlain, Hughes/Aceves/Pettitte. The Yankees have 3 aces on next years team..and joba has the potential to be one in '09.

the lineup:

Posada > Rodriguez
Cano > Polanco
Arod > Guillen
Jeter > Renteria
Damon > Thames
Ordonez > Nady
Sheffield > Matsui

Kevin

I think the comparison was to the hype going into the season that the Tigers were getting. Everyone was picking them after the couple trades they made, and they didn't even make the playoffs.

I agree with your post for the most part (I'd do a toss up between Thames and Damon at this point), but I 150% disagree with the statement that the yankees have 3 aces on their team. I see one, and then some considerable distance to the next guy.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Damon and Thames a toss up?

Thames/Damon
AB: 315/555
R: 50/95
H: 76/168
HR: 25/17
RBI: 56/71
TB: 163/256
BB: 24/64
SO: 95/82
SB: 0/29
OBP: .292/.375
SLG: .516/.461
AVG: .241/.303

You are telling me Thames=Damon? You really lose arguments with idiotic comparisions.

Tomlinson21RB said:

the lineup:

Posada > Rodriguez
Cano > Polanco
Arod > Guillen
Jeter > Renteria
Damon > Thames
Ordonez > Nady
Sheffield > Matsui

Kevin

I think the comparison was to the hype going into the season that the Tigers were getting. Everyone was picking them after the couple trades they made, and they didn't even make the playoffs.

I agree with your post for the most part (I'd do a toss up between Thames and Damon at this point), but I 150% disagree with the statement that the yankees have 3 aces on their team. I see one, and then some considerable distance to the next guy.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
jdacunha said:
Brett Keith said:
2nd or 3rd place team. In Teixeira, they finally have a truly above average defensive player, but are still bad. They don't have much team speed, and the best athletes are getting up there in age. Their rotation consists of one monster, an injury-prone tease of a talent, a solid-good pitcher coming off an injury to his foot, a very young super talent who hasn't shown he can pitch a full season as a starter, and a very young high-ceiling talent who might just be injury prone.

So it's a team with improved pitching, but a rotation filled with question marks, with poor defense and little speed. Also it's likely Nady hits more like he did in NY than he did in Pittsburgh before he was traded, and it's not at all unreasonable to think that Damon's numbers will slip a bit. It seems people think this is a dominant lineup, but looking at it, it's nothing special unless everything breaks their way. Teixeira and Rodrigues will be dynamic, but what else?

They were 4th in SBs last year and you are saying they don't have speed? Damon, Jeter, Gardner, Arod all have above average speed...its not as good as some teams...but dont say it is bad

They were 4th in SB, but 12th in 3B. 22 of those SB and 4 of those triples belonged to Abreu, so take those away. Teixeira had 2 SB and 0 3B last year, know who exceeded those totals last season with 2 SB and 1 3B? Jason Giambi. I don't know if Jeter has above average speed anymore, the guy had 11 SB in 16 attempts and 3 triples, and he's a contact hitter who you'd think would put balls in the gaps. Will Gardner actually get significant playing time? If he does, will his speed come at the cost of production with the bat? Also, for every player who has solid average to above average speed, there's atleast one player who's below average.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
jdacunha said:

Thames/Damon

You are telling me Thames=Damon? You really lose arguments with idiotic comparisions.

Tomlinson21RB said:

the lineup:

Posada > Rodriguez
Cano > Polanco
Arod > Guillen
Jeter > Renteria
Damon > Thames
Ordonez > Nady
Sheffield > Matsui

Kevin

I didn't realize the batting average difference, but the production isn't that far off when you look at the difference in at bats. Also you can lose arguments when you call pitchers with 4+ ERA's aces.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
nyc3 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
darocker80 said:
posada won't be able to put up the same numbers as in 2007. 2 years older and coming off injury.

That's the realism that many yankees fans lack right now. This team is getting older. The guys that everyone keeps saying are coming back from injury seem to miss time every year.

What? who?

I'm too lazy to look up actual statistics on games played, but Matsui comes to mind. This guy seems like he misses significant time every year.

I understand you dont like the yankees but is there really a need to argue then back peddle in every topic. You said guys then said you are lazy to look and name one.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
I never called Burnett or **** aces...CC is an ace. **** and Burnett are VERY VERY good #2 starters. The Yankees has a rotation that is as good as any team.

Tomlinson21RB said:
jdacunha said:

Thames/Damon

Tomlinson21RB said:

the lineup:

Posada > Rodriguez
Cano > Polanco
Arod > Guillen
Jeter > Renteria
Damon > Thames
Ordonez > Nady
Sheffield > Matsui

Kevin

I didn't realize the batting average difference, but the production isn't that far off when you look at the difference in at bats. Also you can lose arguments when you call pitchers with 4+ ERA's aces.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
nyc3 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
nyc3 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
darocker80 said:
posada won't be able to put up the same numbers as in 2007. 2 years older and coming off injury.

That's the realism that many yankees fans lack right now. This team is getting older. The guys that everyone keeps saying are coming back from injury seem to miss time every year.

What? who?

I'm too lazy to look up actual statistics on games played, but Matsui comes to mind. This guy seems like he misses significant time every year.

I understand you dont like the yankees but is there really a need to argue then back peddle in every topic. You said guys then said you are lazy to look and name one.

Fine. All yankees fans are right. The team will win 100+ games and have the cy and mvp on the same team. No one will get injured, and the red sox and rays will fall to tied for last place.

What i said was an opinion that I've come to from checking box scores, playing fantasy, and catching post game highlights. I don't watch every game of every team that isn't my team. I'll admit I can only think of one that was on the team last year, but I was also thinking Burnett. Whatever, you keep wearing your rose colored glasses and I'll keep thinking they aren't going to be as successful as everyone thinks. There is only one way to find out who is right, and that is to let the games be played.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
jdacunha said:
I never called Burnett or **** aces...CC is an ace. **** and Burnett are VERY VERY good #2 starters. The Yankees has a rotation that is as good as any team.

Tomlinson21RB said:
jdacunha said:

Thames/Damon

Tomlinson21RB said:

the lineup:

Posada > Rodriguez
Cano > Polanco
Arod > Guillen
Jeter > Renteria
Damon > Thames
Ordonez > Nady
Sheffield > Matsui

Kevin

Wasn't referring to anything you said.

Aug 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
everyone seems to point out the lack of defense and speed when they talk about the Yanks. They didn't lose because of that. The key part they have been missing the last few years is starting pitching. Now don't respond and tell me about those garbage players like Pavano, Wright, Brown, Vazquez. Now they have a legit quality pitching staff.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
nyc3 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
nyc3 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
[quote="darocker80":21coaz73]posada won't be able to put up the same numbers as in 2007. 2 years older and coming off injury.

What? who?

Fine. All yankees fans are right. The team will win 100+ games and have the cy and mvp on the same team. No one will get injured, and the red sox and rays will fall to tied for last place.

What i said was an opinion that I've come to from checking box scores, playing fantasy, and catching post game highlights. I don't watch every game of every team that isn't my team. I'll admit I can only think of one that was on the team last year, but I was also thinking Burnett. Whatever, you keep wearing your rose colored glasses and I'll keep thinking they aren't going to be as successful as everyone thinks. There is only one way to find out who is right, and that is to let the games be played.[/quote:21coaz73]

Did I say all that? I dont think I did at all, as a matter of fact this is the case of another hater telling me what I think. I actually don't think anything yet cause the season has not started and has its been said injuries kill teams, but why assume that. It much easier to be passive aggressive and say I am wearing rose colored glasses.

But then again I forgot where I was posting I should expect these responses by now. You guys really need to take 2 deep breaths before opening yankee topics, you guys fire off some silly stuff then go into attack mode usually claiming its the yankee fans doing it.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
everyone seems to point out the lack of defense and speed when they talk about the Yanks. They didn't lose because of that. The key part they have been missing the last few years is starting pitching. Now don't respond and tell me about those garbage players like Pavano, Wright, Brown, Vazquez. Now they have a legit quality pitching staff.

So you don't think good defense and better speed would have helped them get to the playoffs? You don't think it had an impact on the pitching problems? Defense and speed(range) help pitchers. Pitching was a problem, but it wasn't the only problem, so don't act like "fixing" that makes this team a juggernaut. Especially since the rotation is still filled with ?'s.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Brett Keith said:

So you don't think good defense and better speed would have helped them get to the playoffs? You don't think it had an impact on the pitching problems? Defense and speed(range) help pitchers. Pitching was a problem, but it wasn't the only problem, so don't act like "fixing" that makes this team a juggernaut. Especially since the rotation is still filled with ?'s.
+1

all great points

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Defense got better by adding Teixeira, Cano (should get better), Jeter is bad as people make him out to be, Arod is as good as any 3B defensively...Nady is much better than Abreu in RF, Gardner has very good range...Damon is a weakness and posada behind the plate

nyc3 said:
Brett Keith said:

+1

all great points

wmb1289

Aug 7, 2008
New York
they will be very good, but it always comes down the the effectiveness of the starting pitching

will CC be the CC he was with the brewers or the CC he was at the first half of the year with the Indians?

Will Burnett stay healthy?

Will **** be as effective?

Can Hughes win a game?

All of these questions will determine how successful the Yankees will be.
Also will the Cano/Gardner/Melky combo be like a black hole without any productivity

Thats why we wait for the season to see

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
jdacunha said:
Defense got better by adding Teixeira, Cano (should get better), Jeter is bad as people make him out to be, Arod is as good as any 3B defensively...Nady is much better than Abreu in RF, Gardner has very good range...Damon is a weakness and posada behind the plate

nyc3 said:
Brett Keith said:

+1

all great points

I have to say the corner infield is pretty set defensively. There is nothing you can do about Jeter, but if Cano can improve then the infield will be pretty damn good.

Aug 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
nyc3 said:
Brett Keith said:

+1

all great points
Oh...of course good defense and speed helps, but when your throwing out guys like Pavano, Ponson, Rasner, Giese, Kennedy, Igawa..etc..you can't ecpect to go anywhere. With all the injuries they had...they were even forced to start Bruney in a game.

Bringing in CC and Burnett were huge steps to making this rotation on top of the league. Then you add on **** who was considered an "ace" in '06 and '07..he also pitched like one in the time he played last year. I considered him an ace all along, but people argue that he doesn't have overpowering stuff, which doesn't define a #1 pitcher. **** was the most winningest pitcher in '06 and '07 combining for 38 wins over a two year span.

Then you add on Joba, who pitched like an ace while he was starting. People say he hasn't pitched enough..and I guess you could say that, but don't argue that he doesn't have ace quality stuff. I think people fail to realize how good Joba was as a starter. He went: 63IP (W-L) 3-1 2.71ERA 71K The lowest ERA in the AL last year was 2.54 by Cliff Lee. By no means am I comparing him to the season that Lee had last year, but I just wanted to point that out.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Tomlinson21RB said:
jdacunha said:

nyc3 said:
Brett Keith said:

+1

all great points

I have to say the corner infield is pretty set defensively. There is nothing you can do about Jeter, but if Cano can improve then the infield will be pretty damn good.

I can't agree with the OP you're responding to when he says A-Rod is as good as any at 3B defensively. His FLD% is above league average, but by most accounts he's about average, sometimes a little above, sometimes a little below. He's the best defender besides Teixeira on the team. The corners are solid, but Teixeira's impact defensively might be muted some because(and I may be wrong here) the defense's troubles are more with getting to balls, more than it is making bad throws that a great defensive 1B can get. Also, one more point on the defense, Posada will be back starting at C, and guess what position was the only position above average defensively last year? Catcher, when Molina was playing.

Members online

Latest posts