Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I Hope You Didn't Just Buy This Ichiro Patch for $1750

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Someone just bought this Ichiro Triple Threads patch for $1750. Despite stating that it was pack pulled, the seller bought it 2 weeks ago for $265 (Ebay #320663221181) from steelerswheel71, and if you collect patches then you know it's fake. This is an expensive reminder for someone that you should do your research, even if the seller has really good feedback.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
And yet another example of the triple threads cards being split in 2 and having patches inserted. If you are wondering thats why you dont see any window damage what so ever. I wish I could see a picture of the side of the card but if done correctly its nearly undetectable.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
nyc3 said:
And yet another example of the triple threads cards being split in 2 and having patches inserted. If you are wondering thats why you dont see any window damage what so ever. I wish I could see a picture of the side of the card but if done correctly its nearly undetectable.
I understand that is how it's done but how do you guys know it didn't come out of the pack like that? Was this same card and #ing sold before with just jersey swatches?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
nyc3 said:
scotty21690 said:
I understand that is how it's done but how do you guys know it didn't come out of the pack like that? Was this same card and #ing sold before with just jersey swatches?

Do I know 100%, no. Would I put money on it being fake, yes. Here is what the majority of Ichiros look like in this product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Triple-Threads ... 720wt_1139

and some times

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Triple-Threads ... _500wt_922
That is not concrete evidence. The patch is from an AS game (warmups or w/e) and Topps uses a hell of a lot of those in their products.

I am not saying it has no chance to be fake, but I am giving the seller the benefit of the doubt until there is further evidence. If this same card and # sold with just a GU jsy than I would say 100% fake.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
the problem is that topps created the possibility for doubt in the first place by randomly placing patches/tags
in some higher #'d cards, and being completely non-specific about what any/all of the cards actually contain.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
scotty21690 said:
nyc3 said:
scotty21690 said:

Do I know 100%, no. Would I put money on it being fake, yes. Here is what the majority of Ichiros look like in this product.

and some times

That is not concrete evidence. The patch is from an AS game (warmups or w/e) and Topps uses a hell of a lot of those in their products.

I am not saying it has no chance to be fake, but I am giving the seller the benefit of the doubt until there is further evidence. If this same card and # sold with just a GU jsy than I would say 100% fake.

You're right, there is no concrete evidence. Here is an album of cards that have been sold by steelerswheel71, who originally sold the card. I have zero concrete evidence for them, but they sure have an affinity for tag cards that usually don't have tags.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Real or fake, the seller is a Grade A turd. Mentions pack pulled a few times in the auction and yet he has no clue if it was pack pulled as he bought it for $265 from someone else who possibly fakes patches.

Regardless, why anyone pays premiums for game used patch cards is beyond me. The card company's leave too much doubt in the hands of the consumer. Until they start to provide actual pictures or proof of the patch in the card, I will continue to stay away from this garbage.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
mrwhitesox30 said:
scotty21690 said:
nyc3 said:
scotty21690 said:

and some times

You're right, there is no concrete evidence. Here is an album of cards that have been sold by steelerswheel71, who originally sold the card. I have zero concrete evidence for them, but they sure have an affinity for tag cards that usually don't have tags.

That's about enough evidence as you can get today, outside of actually videotaping the guy faking the card.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
AndruwHRJones said:
Real or fake, the seller is a Grade A turd. Mentions pack pulled a few times in the auction and yet he has no clue if it was pack pulled as he bought it for $265 from someone else who possibly fakes patches.

Regardless, why anyone pays premiums for game used patch cards is beyond me. The card company's leave too much doubt in the hands of the consumer. Until they start to provide actual pictures or proof of the patch in the card, I will continue to stay away from this garbage.

I agree. Although I enjoy autos and GU/patches, it stands to reason that the more complex cards get with them the more problems there will always be, even with 'proof'.

I just don't understand how the card sold for EIGHT times as much the second time around at auction. Since it was a BIN (actually both auctions were...), who knows what really happened.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Thousands upon thousands of triple threads cards have I seen and never once have I ran across a card with such a patch. I've actually never even seen a Triple Threads card with the three patches that all line up like that. Including several 1/1's. No way in hell that is real.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
You my friend do a good job of tracking these dolts but yet there are always doubters who need more evidence. There is a simple thing called common sense and sometimes it gets lost.

mrwhitesox30 said:
scotty21690 said:
nyc3 said:
scotty21690 said:

and some times

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
split the card in half without it being detected?
are rocket scientists doing this patch faking?
pretty impressive trick if this is the case

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
boomo said:
split the card in half without it being detected?
are rocket scientists doing this patch faking?
pretty impressive trick if this is the case

Nope its actually really simple if done correctly, if I didn't see it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it either. How do you think the card is put together in the first place? Its not like the card comes assembled.

Members online

Latest posts