Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I'm thinking about buying boxes of 2003,4,&5 topps chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
and I just wanted to know what prices you guys think are fair/about right per box. I'm paying in cash, if that changes anything.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
2005 Chrome UPDATE is the winner there, everything else is pretty cheap.

200 bucks a box on the Update last time i checked, but should have come down a bit as people cooled on Jay Bruce and McCutchen autos. Garza auto in there too.

Still a great BASE rookie class with chromes, refractors, and red xfractors of Braun, Weaver, Kemp, Ellsbury, Cargo, Nelson Cruz, Chris Young (AZ), Romero, Zimmerman, Jurrjens, Jon Sanchez, Mike Morse, Motte, Rasmus, St Drew, Russ Martin, John Mayberry,

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
Mudcatsfan said:

200 bucks a box on the Update last time i checked, but should have come down a bit as people cooled on Jay Bruce and McCutchen autos. Garza auto in there too.

Still a great BASE rookie class with chromes, refractors, and red xfractors of Braun, Weaver, Kemp, Ellsbury, Cargo, Nelson Cruz, Chris Young (AZ), Romero, Zimmerman, Jurrjens, Jon Sanchez, Mike Morse, Motte, Rasmus, St Drew, Russ Martin, John Mayberry,
Thanked.

I'm not much for prospecting, I just figured that the boxes would go up in price and getting those cards as time goes on will only get harder.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Mr.1989 said:
Mudcatsfan said:

Thanked.

I'm not much for prospecting, I just figured that the boxes would go up in price and getting those cards as time goes on will only get harder.
If the goal is as an investment, I would recommend staying away. In general prospect products and their prices are not great long term investments. What generally happens with products with a solid prospect class is that they increase in price as players succeed and then peak a few years after they are released, at a time when some players are already succeeding in the Majors, but not so far along that those prospects that have not succeeded yet are considered busts. After that time the boxes tend to languish or decrease in price as 90% of the prospects wind up as average major leaguers at best, (and their rookie autographs sell for a few dollars) and the odds of pulling the big names are remarkably slim. (It is a rare set that is so good that this is not the case 4-7 years after release and even a set like 2002 Bowman Chrome, with Wright and Mauer may not look so good 5 years after that (as was the case with 2002 Bowman Chrome.)

Another thing to consider with the sets you mention is that most people favor Bowman Chrome over Topps Chrome for rookie cards.

If you are buying them to rip and just enjoy, I'd say they are definitely worth considering. As an investment I would not recommend it. Just my two cents though.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
As Mudcats fan mentioned, Update is where all the fun is at; unfortunately, is also the most expensive. I opened a blaster in early 2006 and pulled a Garza ref autograph.

Plus, the rookie/first year class was outstanding (both in Update and Chrome Update).

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
Topnotchsy said:
Mr.1989 said:
Mudcatsfan said:

Thanked.

If the goal is as an investment, I would recommend staying away. In general prospect products and their prices are not great long term investments. What generally happens with products with a solid prospect class is that they increase in price as players succeed and then peak a few years after they are released, at a time when some players are already succeeding in the Majors, but not so far along that those prospects that have not succeeded yet are considered busts. After that time the boxes tend to languish or decrease in price as 90% of the prospects wind up as average major leaguers at best, (and their rookie autographs sell for a few dollars) and the odds of pulling the big names are remarkably slim. (It is a rare set that is so good that this is not the case 4-7 years after release and even a set like 2002 Bowman Chrome, with Wright and Mauer may not look so good 5 years after that (as was the case with 2002 Bowman Chrome.)

Another thing to consider with the sets you mention is that most people favor Bowman Chrome over Topps Chrome for rookie cards.

If you are buying them to rip and just enjoy, I'd say they are definitely worth considering. As an investment I would not recommend it. Just my two cents though.
Thanked. I was considering buying just to rip, and maybe on the really really off chance of pulling something major with Michael Young in it. :) I'll take what everybody here has to say about buying them, and in the investing part, thanks for be detailed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts