Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

In the market for a new scanner...recommendations??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My old scanner is not compatible with my new computer. Trying to do a little searching to try to figure out what type of scanner would best fit my needs. Most of my cards are raw but I do have some slabs as well. I'm looking to build up a photobucket/flickr/photo hosting site and want to scan my personal collection as well as scan cards I'd like to move.

I've read where most people recommend a CCD vs. CIS scanner. How can I tell whether a scanner is a CCD scanner vs. a CIS scanner?

My old scanner was a canoscan 1220U LiDE scanner.

Searching older posts, I've seen recommendations for these scanners.

HP
4570C

Scans with your recommendation would be great.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I just got a Epson V330 photo scanner.I am in love with it and I haven't started tweaking the settings yet.Here is a sample scan right out of the box.
img022.jpg

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I have a CanoScan 4400F. Best scanner I've ever used. Biggest difference I see are on graded cards. The whole card/slab is in focus.

Allen

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I love the HP Scanjet G3110.
this.

When you look scanners up online and look at the specs, it should say...scanning element : ccd

The problem with the Epsons is that they use individual LEDs as the light source, so with any kind of reflective surface, you get this...
img006.jpg

Same card with a G3110
2002FinestFergie.jpg

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
this.

When you look scanners up online and look at the specs, it should say...scanning element : ccd

The problem with the Epsons is that they use individual LEDs as the light source, so with any kind of reflective surface, you get this...
img006.jpg

Same card with a G3110
2002FinestFergie.jpg

Not all Epsons are LED. Epson CCDs, if you can find one, have the best quality that I've seen.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
do all of these scanners mentioned have an auto-cropping feature? its a royal pain when scanning multiple cards to go into a separate screen and manually crop each card.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
I have a CanoScan 4400F. Best scanner I've ever used. Biggest difference I see are on graded cards. The whole card/slab is in focus.

Allen

much more this, even better with 8800 and 9000. thing i like the best is the scan software, once you master it you can do 350-400 scans an hour

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
I have used 3 different scanners since late 2010, and they are in order: HP G3110, Epson V200, Canon Canoscan 4400F.

The G3110 is a fine scanner, and does a decent job scanning at 300dpi but the colors seemed a bit flat to me, especially when scanning refractors (no "pop" - as in you cannot tell they have a refractive surface from the scan). So I decided to buy a different scanner...

The Epson V200 is my favorite - picture quality wise, since it makes refractors "pop", and has better color saturation than both the G3110 and 4400F. However, it is the slowest of the three, and the bundled Epson scanning software makes me rage because it tends to crash way too often (TWAIN error, bad drivers I suppose). I tried using the default windows scanning software, but that causes it to run even slower than slow, so now I am currently trying...

The Canon Canoscan 4400F, by far the fastest of the three mentioned here, also has the best picture clarity (compared at 300dpi), though that can be a bad thing, as it even picks up lines/flaws on a soft sleeve that the other 2 don't. Colors are nice and deep, but refractors do not "pop", and there is an annoying white glare when scanning slabbed BGS cards (PSA cards, no problem) that does not go away whether I turn the card sideways or whatnot. Currently I am still using this scanner, but I am thinking about setting up my V200 again on the side just for refractors and BGS slabs.

And yes I know I can use software to "tweak" colors and saturation, but I'm too lazy and want my scans to look nice "as is".

For pricing, the G3110 cost me $52 brand new, the V200 $28 used, and the 4400F $25 used. All 3 were bought off ebay.

Edit: to clarify, when I say the V200 makes refractors "pop", I mean it makes it look almost like what you see with the naked eye (shiny, with refractive patches of color), but NOT like the jumbled mess of rainbow lines that is caused by LED scanning elements.

Last edited:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
And what do you know smartass?

Most of the search results that come up are for Epson scanners with CCD elements...yes, but that also have an LED light source, which is...survey says...what causes the lines on reflective cards...ding! ding! ding!

CCD is the scanning element
LED is the light source

Thus endeth today's lesson.

Last edited:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Here you go. one of your links even contains this quote from Epson...

[h=3]LED Light Sources in CCD Scanners[/h]

CCD (Charge Coupled Device) scanners usually use a cold-cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL), but Epson has developed a scanner that uses a white light-emitting diode (LED). The white LEDs provide the highest level of resolution (6400 dpi) while also improving usability for customers by shrinking warm-up times and realizing steep savings in energy consumption.

Glad to see you haven't changed in the time that I was gone...:rolleyes:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Here you go. one of your links even contains this quote from Epson...

Glad to see you haven't changed in the time that I was gone...:rolleyes:

LOL don't get mad... LOL there are older Epson scanners that are CCD that don't use LED lightsource. I know this because, see I have one.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
are any of the manufacturers making (somewhat) affordable scanners with really large scanner beds?

im in the market for a scanner that can scan CGC slabs

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts