Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Mat Latos Article (signing autographs).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
jbhofmann said:
Bob Loblaw said:
nyc3 said:
[quote="Bob Loblaw":33n2l03q]
VERY RARE IS THE PLAYER THAT DIES AT 36.

Furthermore, the family likely lives with the player, so for homestands, the player is home. He's gone for 81 games, or about 1/4 of the year. And during the summer, the kids are out of school and can afford to go on the road with the player. It's not that bad for $15m a year.

Ok great what about wrestlers? Is that a better example for you? They are hardly ever home and seem to always pass early, since money is a key factor with you they are very well paid (not as well as mlb, nfl etc) . But who cares about the family right? they got cash! ::facepalm::

This has nothing to do with wrestlers. Move on, troll.

It really has nothing to do with salary either....... If I wanted a free box of diapers from the Proctor and Gamble CEO, should they grant my wishes because they make a multi-million dollar salary? I'll await the apples to oranges reference....[/quote:33n2l03q]

You keep posting to this thread but I'm not sure your point...

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Bob Loblaw said:
jbhofmann said:
[quote="Bob Loblaw":3m1em606]
nyc3 said:
[quote="Bob Loblaw":3m1em606]

Furthermore, the family likely lives with the player, so for homestands, the player is home. He's gone for 81 games, or about 1/4 of the year. And during the summer, the kids are out of school and can afford to go on the road with the player. It's not that bad for $15m a year.

Ok great what about wrestlers? Is that a better example for you? They are hardly ever home and seem to always pass early, since money is a key factor with you they are very well paid (not as well as mlb, nfl etc) . But who cares about the family right? they got cash! ::facepalm::

It really has nothing to do with salary either....... If I wanted a free box of diapers from the Proctor and Gamble CEO, should they grant my wishes because they make a multi-million dollar salary? I'll await the apples to oranges reference....[/quote:3m1em606]

You keep posting to this thread but I'm not sure your point...[/quote:3m1em606]

The idea that wealthy people should give their fans/customers things (autographs, diapers, pizza, etc.) for free because the fans/customers "made" them is ridiculous.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm not sure how many people feel that they are owed. I know there are some, I just don't think they are the majority.

My wife and I collect autographs. We do a lot of TTM and some IP. As for IP, we normally go to signings or RedsFest and sometimes we try at games. We don't feel that we are owed anything from any athlete or celebrity. We are very appreciative of those who do sign and every autograph we have received remains in our collection.

Neither of us have ever been upset or badmouthed a person or player for not signing. The only problem I have is the wait on the TTMs. :lol:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
jbhofmann said:
Bob Loblaw said:
jbhofmann said:
[quote="Bob Loblaw":2pcgdodr]
nyc3 said:
[quote="Bob Loblaw":2pcgdodr]

It really has nothing to do with salary either....... If I wanted a free box of diapers from the Proctor and Gamble CEO, should they grant my wishes because they make a multi-million dollar salary? I'll await the apples to oranges reference....

You keep posting to this thread but I'm not sure your point...[/quote:2pcgdodr]

The idea that wealthy people should give their fans/customers things (autographs, diapers, pizza, etc.) for free because the fans/customers "made" them is ridiculous.[/quote:2pcgdodr]
I think the idea of providing a product, where there is a cost involved, is ridiculous, such as your immature and equally ridiculous examples of pizza and diapers, where the product involved costs the owner/manufacturer actual money.

However, the occasional 5 seconds of a athlete's time as "giving back" for the support of the fans and continued goodwill is both a good idea for marketing of the sport and not a hardship upon the player, so long as it is appropriate (i.e. not during a meal, or school issues, private time, etc.)

Tony Dungy, Warren Sapp, Darryl Strawberry, Derrick Brooks, Dean Malenko, and Chris Jericho have all sent their kids to my sons' private school, and I saw them on a regular basis, whether dropping my sons off, or at schoolwide functions. I said hi a few times to Brooks and Strawberry, although I was never a big fan of them. I was a fan of Jericho, and at a school function while standing behind him in line, I did say hi, shake his hand, and say I was a big fan, and we chatted for about 30 seconds. I could have asked for an auto, but I didn't. Not a big deal to me.

I have never seen anyone at the school ask any of the above for an autograph. THe majority of people know how to behave.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
The fact of the matter is that she knew what she was getting into. Go to any minor league game and you will see these girls there. I dated a girl whose friend did this during the summer leagues. One of her friends did marry a ball player.

jwc9p

Aug 25, 2010
Columbia, sC
muskiesfan said:
I'm not sure how many people feel that they are owed. I know there are some, I just don't think they are the majority.

My wife and I collect autographs. We do a lot of TTM and some IP. As for IP, we normally go to signings or RedsFest and sometimes we try at games. We don't feel that we are owed anything from any athlete or celebrity. We are very appreciative of those who do sign and every autograph we have received remains in our collection.

Neither of us have ever been upset or badmouthed a person or player for not signing. The only problem I have is the wait on the TTMs. :lol:

You are far too logical and reasonable for this. I think I posted something similar about 6 pages ago and it got overlooked.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
jbhofmann said:
Fan: Hey John!

John-Schnatter-Papa-johns.jpg

Fan: You're the founder of Papa John's right?

John Schnatter: Yeah....

Fan: Hey, I love your pizza. Since you are a multi-millionaire can I get a free one from you?

Fan2: Yeah me too...

John Schnatter: Ok, here is a voucher for a free 1 topping pizza...

Fan3: Hey...why don't I get one?!

John Schnatter: Guys I'm eating dinner with my family....

Fan3: I aint never buying your cheap mass produced crap again!

I totally see what you're saying... or... wait, you're saying that people ask Mat Latos for free pizzas? Or free tickets to games? They don't, they ask for his autograph because he's on TV. Guess who else gets approached for autographs? John Schnatter!!!!!!!!!

$(KGrHqUOKj0E6W3guli+BOrymUm69w~~60_3.JPG

He probably isn't married, which is the only explanation I can think of for the reason we haven't heard him have to bitch about signing autographs just because he's rich and on TV.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Bob Loblaw said:
jbhofmann said:
[quote="Bob Loblaw":z6rpxe0q]
jbhofmann said:
nyc3 said:

It really has nothing to do with salary either....... If I wanted a free box of diapers from the Proctor and Gamble CEO, should they grant my wishes because they make a multi-million dollar salary? I'll await the apples to oranges reference....

You keep posting to this thread but I'm not sure your point...[/quote:z6rpxe0q]

The idea that wealthy people should give their fans/customers things (autographs, diapers, pizza, etc.) for free because the fans/customers "made" them is ridiculous.[/quote:z6rpxe0q]
I think the idea of providing a product, where there is a cost involved, is ridiculous, such as your immature and equally ridiculous examples of pizza and diapers, where the product involved costs the owner/manufacturer actual money.
However, the occasional 5 seconds of a athlete's time as "giving back" for the support of the fans and continued goodwill is both a good idea for marketing of the sport and not a hardship upon the player, so long as it is appropriate (i.e. not during a meal, or school issues, private time, etc.)
Tony Dungy, Warren Sapp, Darryl Strawberry, Derrick Brooks, Dean Malenko, and Chris Jericho have all sent their kids to my sons' private school, and I saw them on a regular basis, whether dropping my sons off, or at schoolwide functions. I said hi a few times to Brooks and Strawberry, although I was never a big fan of them. I was a fan of Jericho, and at a school function while standing behind him in line, I did say hi, shake his hand, and say I was a big fan, and we chatted for about 30 seconds. I could have asked for an auto, but I didn't. Not a big deal to me.

I have never seen anyone at the school ask any of the above for an autograph. THe majority of people know how to behave.[/quote:z6rpxe0q]1. Kind of like when an athlete signs for a fee at a show.... Yeah, cost involved.
2. I think we agree here. I was a collector, then was fortunate/lucky enough to sign with the St. Louis Rams. I was around Steven Jackson, Tory Holt, Marc Bulger and others on a daily basis. I never once thought to ask for an auto, jersey, helmet etc. It was work.
3. True. The few spoil it for the many.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
RL24 said:
jbhofmann said:
Fan: Hey John!

John-Schnatter-Papa-johns.jpg

Fan: You're the founder of Papa John's right?

John Schnatter: Yeah....

Fan: Hey, I love your pizza. Since you are a multi-millionaire can I get a free one from you?

Fan2: Yeah me too...

John Schnatter: Ok, here is a voucher for a free 1 topping pizza...

Fan3: Hey...why don't I get one?!

John Schnatter: Guys I'm eating dinner with my family....

Fan3: I aint never buying your cheap mass produced crap again!

I totally see what you're saying... or... wait, you're saying that people ask Mat Latos for free pizzas? Or free tickets to games? They don't, they ask for his autograph because he's on TV. Guess who else gets approached for autographs? John Schnatter!!!!!!!!!

$(KGrHqUOKj0E6W3guli+BOrymUm69w~~60_3.JPG

He probably isn't married, which is the only explanation I can think of for the reason we haven't heard him have to bitch about signing autographs just because he's rich and on TV.

I'm sure Mat gets asked for tickets all the time. Why wouldn't Schnattner sign until his arm falls off? I mean it doesn't cost anything.

Members online

Latest posts