Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting way for a seller to leave negative feedback.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I would if they graded it an 8.5, considering those companies over-grade everything. Isn't Jeff smart enough to know that an off-brand 8.5 probably isn't GEM MINT? I should hope so. He knew the risk. I would love to see this "deceptive" listing.

I'm just wondering, have you been looked at by a doctor for some type of defiance disorder?

Or are you really incapable of reading comprehension?

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Oh get off it. I have nothing against Jeff. This situation just comes off as a highly entitled buyer playing games with a seller who tried to work the situation out.

You know darn well that if this was almost anyone else posting this your response probably would have been different, or at least a bit more tame. If the seller really wanted to work the situation out he would have left a detailed description of the card WITH it's defect noted and a good scan of the card. From what Jeff is saying, this didnt happen.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm just wondering, have you been looked at by a doctor for some type of defiance disorder?

Or are you really incapable of reading comprehension?

It's a serious question. Why would anyone who knows anything about grading buy an off-brand grading company 8.5 and expect a gem mint card? Can you answer that, or do you just want to personally attack me?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
You know darn well that if this was almost anyone else posting this your response probably would have been different, or at least a bit more tame. If the seller really wanted to work the situation out he would have left a detailed description of the card WITH it's defect noted and a good scan of the card. From what Jeff is saying, this didnt happen.

No.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
From an ebay seller's perspective...

I will not defend the seller if it's true that he deliberately altered the pic, because, as others say, it's his responsibility to get it right. So, he cheated.

However, I am surprised that neither he nor you have thought of a partial refund to avoid this situation. So you would have kept the card at a better price ... and probably left a positive feedback? I hope so, because it would still have been a proof of good faith from both of you.

Honestly, you would have told me you will leave an 'appropriate' feedback and i would have think 'negative' all the way... and I would have probably got frustrated. Yes, he messed up, but he did offered you a refund.

All this could have been handeled differently in my opinion.

Last edited:

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
From an ebay seller's perspective...

I will not defend the seller if it's true that he deliberately altered the pic, because, as others say, it's his responsibility to get it right.

However, I am surprised that neither he nor you have thought of a partial refund to avoid this situation. So you would have kept the card at a better price ... and probably left a positive feedback? I hope so, because it would still have been a proof of good faith from both of you.

Honestly, you would have told me you will leave an 'appropriate' feedback and i would have think 'negative' all the way... and I would have probably got frustrated. Yes, he messed up, but he did offered you a refund.

All this could have been handeled differently in my opinion.

Why on earth buy an off-brand grading company 8.5 with an altered pic and expect a gem mint card? lol That is the moral to this story. Is Jeff truly that uneducated about the graded card business, or was he just being a hard-on to the seller because he didn't get a great deal on a crappy listing?

Last edited:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Why on earth buy an off-brand grading company 8.5 with an altered pic and expect a gem mint card? lol That is the moral to this story. Is Jeff truly that uneducated about the grading card process, or was he just being a hard-on to the seller because he didn't get a great deal on a crappy listing?

Quoted from the OP's orginal post so that even the most reading reading comprehension challenged posters can understand this better:

" I didn't care about the grade, wanted the card. Description mentioned the card was gem mint. Got the card. The picture hid an obvious defect (major printing dimple) in the card."

He didnt say he expected a gem card as he just wanted to card itself BUT The seller apparently hid this defect. Did you want me to type it any slower so you can really understand it?

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
It's a serious question. Why would anyone who knows anything about grading buy an off-brand grading company 8.5 and expect a gem mint card? Can you answer that, or do you just want to personally attack me?

because your misinformed response requires no response. The description is GEM MINT and a seller needs to stand behind that, its the actual way ebay works, not the world in your head.

If i'm jeff, i give him a neg and when he retaliates, inform ebay and he could lose his ability to leave feedback.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Got it. Jeff expected an off-brand grading company 8.5, WITH a crappy photo, to be a what, an 8.6 or an 8.7... 8.8? Then when it wasn't in gem mint or even mint condition, Jeff decided he STILL wanted the card after the seller offered a full refund, but will still leave neutral feedback because the card wasn't gem mint or even mint.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Got it. Jeff expected an off-brand grading company 8.5, WITH a crappy photo, to be a what, an 8.6 or an 8.7... 8.8? Then when it wasn't in gem mint or even mint condition, Jeff decided he STILL wanted the card after the seller offered a full refund, but will still leave neutral feedback because the card wasn't gem mint or even mint.

Do you not understand the phrase "SELLERS DESCRIPTION?"

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I would if they graded it an 8.5, considering those companies over-grade everything. Isn't Jeff smart enough to know that an off-brand 8.5 probably isn't GEM MINT? I should hope so. He knew the risk. I would love to see this "deceptive" listing.

If you'd love to do it, do the research. Interestingly, in the description it was listed as gem mint. I figured it wasn't gem mint. The way the card was photographed, the big ding in the card was not visible. I viewed it, and any non-PSA/BGS card as raw. However, 8.5 is "Nrmt-mt" and this card definitieyl wasn't.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Do you not understand the phrase "SELLERS DESCRIPTION?"

Do you not understand the term "GRADED 8.5 BY AN OFF-BRAND GRADING COMPANY"?

Do you not understand the question "WHY WOULD SOMEONE WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE IN THE HOBBY BID ON A CARD GRADED 8.5 BY AN OFF-BRAND GRADING COMPANY WITH CRAPPY PHOTOS AND EXPECT THE CARD TO BE A NONEXISTENT GRADE THAT FALLS IN BETWEEN 8.5 AND 9?"

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field

It wasn't in near mint condition either.

You seem to be missing the point. If the seller tries to "make it right" by fixing an intentional act, that doesn't make it right.

Let's say you go to a baseball card store and steal a box of Bowman Chrome. But right when you get out the door, the owner stops you. You say, okay, ya got me, here's the $70 for the box. Does that absolve you of all wrongdoing?

Furthermore, under contract law, I'm owed this card in "near mint-mint" shape. Not $9.99, but this card. As this is eBay and not the real world, I can't get specific performance, and there is not a large enough sample size to determine the true value of same.

In this situation, there was clearly intent to defraud with a lousy picture and inaccurate description. The seller offered me my money back. And I appreciate that, but that, like paying for the Bowman Chrome box, does not absolve the seller of all wrongdoing.

The seller's follow up actions by hitting my overpriced BIN/BO only confirms the fact that he's a scumbag.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Do you not understand the term "GRADED 8.5 BY AN OFF-BRAND GRADING COMPANY"?

Do you not understand the question "WHY WOULD SOMEONE WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE IN THE HOBBY BID ON A CARD GRADED 8.5 BY OFF-BRAND GRADING COMPANY WITH CRAPPY PHOTOS AND EXPECT THE CARD TO BE A NONEXISTENT GRADE THAT FALLS IN BETWEEN 8.5 AND 9?"

The photo was doctored.

I'll scan it later tonight.

My point wasn't who is right or wrong; my point was to recommend that you block people you're going to negative. Sort of a PSA. I'm sorry for trying to help.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

Oh my God. If that really is the listing, Jeff is WAY out of line here. Clearly he knew the card was graded 8.5 by GMA and not GEM MINT 10. The picture doesn't "hide" any defects. It's a clear picture and the card is graded GMA 8.5. Seems like the seller simply made a mistake when stating it is graded GMA GEM MINT 10 in the description, because clearly it's not. Anyone with knowledge of the hobby knows that given the grading company, this card is probably not graded properly and most likely has flaws.

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
STFU. Enough already. Everyone in this thread thinks you're a tool. There's a zoomed picutre that does not show the major defect in the card. It was doctored.

Here's the point:

Here;s you:

--

The point of this post, and the only intended point, was to recommend that people block people they're going to negative or neutral. That's it. I hope I saved someone a headache.

Members online

Latest posts