Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is there a card set that has grown on you, with time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
For me, it was the 1957 set, as I thought they were so drab looking as a kid, especially since I didn't start collecting until 1958 and those cards had so much color and the fun team logos. I have later learned to appreciate them for showing the ballpark backgrounds, the on field images and simplicity of the time.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
For me, it was the 1957 set, as I thought they were so drab looking as a kid, especially since I didn't start collecting until 1958 and those cards had so much color and the fun team logos. I have later learned to appreciate them for showing the ballpark backgrounds, the on field images and simplicity of the time.
I can see kids liking the vivid colors in 1958, but as an adult, they are not great for me. I do like some of them when they have a good image and one of the select colors I like (Orange, Blue, Green for example). Prefer body shots vs the giant head portraits. Those pink and yellow backgrounds don't do it for me (Sadly, the Dodgers are yellow). One of the worst looking cards of the set in my opinion, unfortunately, is the Brooks Robinson 2nd year card.

I really like the 57 and then 61, for the simple design and nice colorful images. That Dodger Slugger card remains one of the greatest cards of the 50s in my mind.

I can't say any set specifically grew on me, as I image that phenomenon would happen over a great deal of time as you built a set for example. I have never been much of a full base set builder aside from my earliest years collecting.

Members online

Latest posts