Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is there money to still be made on Manny Machado?

Money to be made?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StrasburgMania

Jan 7, 2011
Rickzcards said:
StrasburgMania said:
i meant who said i was going to buy machado!
Apparently you have in your original post or at least you are alluding to it. Perhaps you should take a second to think before posting.

StrasburgMania said:
i was wondering if now is to late to buy in on this stud.
i didnt mean it as in( )I meaning myself.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
StrasburgMania said:
Rickzcards said:
StrasburgMania said:
i meant who said i was going to buy machado!
Apparently you have in your original post or at least you are alluding to it. Perhaps you should take a second to think before posting.

StrasburgMania said:
i was wondering if now is to late to buy in on this stud.
i didnt mean it as in( )I meaning myself.
Sure you did up until titomoka posted :lol: Or is this whole post your way of getting attention?

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
cgilmo said:
I will never get why other males refer to other males as studs.

It seems really off to me.

I don't see the big deal. I am straight, and because of that have no problem saying a player is a stud. If other people want to insinuate something, go ahead. I'm a man(though not 40 :lol: ), and am comfortable saying that.

Regarding Machado-people need to realize that starting price doesn't really matter that much. Strasburg is a great example. Base chromes hitting $30+, I sold a red refractor(non auto) for $4K. Blue ref's going for $250+, etc. My point is-if the guy performs, his stuff is going to go up. The buy in is high, but there is a reason for that. I don't see why his chrome autos can't hit $130+, if he performs well. The sea of prospectors continues to grow-and to me that means buy in prices will probably rise, as well as "peak prices"-the more people involved in prospecting, the higher the demand(and relatively same supply), so I think buy in prices rise, as well as prices cards are sold for. Just my 2 cents, but sure his cards can go up.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
hail2thevictors said:
cgilmo said:
I will never get why other males refer to other males as studs.

It seems really off to me.

I don't see the big deal. I am straight, and because of that have no problem saying a player is a stud. If other people want to insinuate something, go ahead. I'm a man(though not 40 :lol: ), and am comfortable saying that.

Regarding Machado-people need to realize that starting price doesn't really matter that much. Strasburg is a great example. Base chromes hitting $30+, I sold a red refractor(non auto) for $4K. Blue ref's going for $250+, etc. My point is-if the guy performs, his stuff is going to go up. The buy in is high, but there is a reason for that. I don't see why his chrome autos can't hit $130+, if he performs well. The sea of prospectors continues to grow-and to me that means buy in prices will probably rise, as well as "peak prices"-the more people involved in prospecting, the higher the demand(and relatively same supply), so I think buy in prices rise, as well as prices cards are sold for. Just my 2 cents, but sure his cards can go up.

+1. I agree. They are expensive for a reason. But there have been many guys who's chrome autos are over $100. If he plays as well as many expect, then yes, you can still double your money on him.

skrip

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
As much potential as Machado has, I think these prices are too high to buy into. Yes his chrome autos could hit $150+, but is it really worth stocking up on $70 base chrome autos when they could potentially hit $150? You're only doubling your money and that is IF he pans out Obviously they could be over $200, but lets be realistic, not too many chrome auto are over $200.

What happends if he becomes the next Billy Rowell? Chrome autos will be what, $10, $15 at most?

Again, I think Machado will be a good player, but im not investing $70 into base chrome autos when there are guys like Matt Harvey out there for $20 a pop.

I really wouldnt be too surprised if base chrome autos explode giving his potential and comparisons to A Rod, but I just dont think spending $70 on a base chrome is the best investment.

Good luck to the Machado buyers though, hopefully Im wrong and you guys make money. :)

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Russ S. said:
Jumping off that Taillon boat so soon?

Told you 2 months ago who the man was, but of course kids don't listen. :cool:

As someone who is not jumping off the Taillon boat, I wish there was a concrete way to determine who had a better season between a pitcher and a hitter. It's pointless in the Minors, but I'd be willing to bet you that Taillon will have a better first full Major League season than Machado. Not that that is possible, but it would be a fun bet to follow.

As far as the original question, I think Machado definitely has room for growth, but at his current buy-ins, I think there are far better investments available.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Nick1190 said:
As much potential as Machado has, I think these prices are too high to buy into. Yes his chrome autos could hit $150+, but is it really worth stocking up on $70 base chrome autos when they could potentially hit $150? You're only doubling your money and that is IF he pans out Obviously they could be over $200, but lets be realistic, not too many chrome auto are over $200.

What happends if he becomes the next Billy Rowell? Chrome autos will be what, $10, $15 at most?

Again, I think Machado will be a good player, but im not investing $70 into base chrome autos when there are guys like Matt Harvey out there for $20 a pop.

I really wouldnt be too surprised if base chrome autos explode giving his potential and comparisons to A Rod, but I just dont think spending $70 on a base chrome is the best investment.

Good luck to the Machado buyers though, hopefully Im wrong and you guys make money. :)

YEah, I am not saying you should buy in, but saying there is money out there to be made. But there always is. I am sure alot of people thought lincecum was too high at $60, same with Buster, and many other guys. It is always a crap shoot and always will be.

skrip

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
numba1yankeefan said:
StrasburgMania said:
im definitely not off the taillon boat with over 1K in him.

are you kidding me?!?!?!? where the hell did you get 1k!?!?!?!
He didn't mean that HE had 1K into him, it was more of a generalization completely seperate of himself.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
StrasburgMania said:
like my 1K investment in him.....

1K is $1000, not $100. You do realize that right? No offense, but I also have a hard time believing a 12 year old has that much money invested into baseball cards.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
gonzagacubs said:
StrasburgMania said:
like my 1K investment in him.....

1K is $1000, not $100. You do realize that right? No offense, but I also have a hard time believing a 12 year old has that much money invested into baseball cards.

I don't even have that much into cards, and I've been doing this for a couple years.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Say all you want about a 12 year old and his cards. But he does have a nice taillon gold and a few base that I have seen. He's also got some nice montero bgs stuff. He brought it in the store last week.

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
cgilmo said:
Say all you want about a 12 year old and his cards. But he does have a nice taillon gold and a few base that I have seen. He's also got some nice montero bgs stuff. He brought it in the store last week.
:eek:

someone's been doing some serious lemonade stand business!

Members online

Latest posts