Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this week the last "stand" for the Phillies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Starting tomorrow, the Phils play 6 at home vs. the Padres and then the Cubs.

IF they don't ace this homestand, then IMO it is finally time to blow it all up. Although it's probably two years too late...

Trade every veteran you can for prospects, play the young guys, etc.

Phillies fans, does that sound about right?

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I agree that it's a couple of years too late. This home stand won't change anything either. They haven't shown anything close to being a decent team all year. The offense is horrible. Is it safe to say Domonic Brown is a bust?

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
What could they get? His value has to be the lowest it's ever been right now. The sad thing is that the Phillies don't have an alternative to plug in either.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
They just played the Reds and they're equally as bad. Do the Phillies have any big salary guys that would keep them from being traded?

Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
It's too bad because as a Braves fan, when the Braves go to Citizen Bank Park, I see Howard, Rollins, Utley and Lee

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
At the moment there are 3 teams tied for first place in the NL east, though one is statistically .001 behind the other two. The 4th place team is 5 GB and the last place team is 7 GB. I haven't looked at all their schedules, but even if the Phillies win 6 games in a row, they'll be at best 1 game out of first, picking up that ground against teams no better than they are, statistically speaking. They are, in fact, in last in the entire league and ahead of only 1 team in all of baseball. I'd say going 6-0 in the next stretch would be more incentive to break them up, as it could show to potential dealmakers that they can still produce. Because while it's only June and worst-to-first run from here isn't the most impossible thing, it's the kind of deal where finishing second isn't any better than finishing last, because they won't make a wildcard either.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
At the moment there are 3 teams tied for first place in the NL east, though one is statistically .001 behind the other two. The 4th place team is 5 GB and the last place team is 7 GB. I haven't looked at all their schedules, but even if the Phillies win 6 games in a row, they'll be at best 1 game out of first, picking up that ground against teams no better than they are, statistically speaking. They are, in fact, in last in the entire league and ahead of only 1 team in all of baseball. I'd say going 6-0 in the next stretch would be more incentive to break them up, as it could show to potential dealmakers that they can still produce. Because while it's only June and worst-to-first run from here isn't the most impossible thing, it's the kind of deal where finishing second isn't any better than finishing last, because they won't make a wildcard either.

Only if the other teams in their division lose all 6 of their games. Since the Phillies are not playing anyone in the division either. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Braves who are in first are at the Rockies for 4 games and then the Angels at home before they play the Phillies next week in Atlanta
Washington is only 3 games into a 10 game road trip. up next 4 at SF and then 3 at the Cardinals
Miami (off today) has the rangers for 2 games (tues, Wed) off thurs back home friday for a 10 game home stand with the Pirates Cubs and Mets.

so I would be safe in saying the time is now to blow up the team.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I can't see trading Hamels or Howard without eating tons of cash and also utley and Rollins aren't going to bring you much back so trading them and alienating the fanbase and having attendance plummet doesn't make any sense IMO.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I would think if you can't win at least 4-5 of the games against the Padres/cubs at home and win the following series in Atlanta to try to capitalize on the momentum, it would be time to consider blowing up the team because it'll give you about a month and a half to target prospects on other teams and negotiate with those other GMs for potential deals.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I think the Phillies gotta win 5 out of 6 against the Padres and Cubs and then win the series against the Braves to get things turned around. Hamels is pitching better and hopefully Ruf, Lee, and Asche get back soon. Revere needs to be back in the leadoff spot. Howard and Brown really need to pick it up. Go Phillies!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Yeah, 5 out of 6 should keep the predators at bay, at least for another coupla weeks. :lol:

Intrigued by Burnett vs. Kennedy. Two guys who could throw up 0s or tons of runs. But as bad as the Pads and Phils (and later the Cubs) offenses are, I'm thinking a bunch of low-scoring games this week...

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Only guy with decent value is Utley and he has to approve any trade. Lee and Howard are owed a ton so the only way they get traded is if the Phillies take on a ton of money.

The Phillies are one of the worst set up Franchises in the bigs at this point. Huge over paid vets who don't produce much and zilch in the farm save a few names.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, 5 out of 6 should keep the predators at bay, at least for another coupla weeks. :lol:

Intrigued by Burnett vs. Kennedy. Two guys who could throw up 0s or tons of runs. But as bad as the Pads and Phils (and later the Cubs) offenses are, I'm thinking a bunch of low-scoring games this week...

Wow, didn't realize Kennedy was with SD...thought he was still with Arizona. The sad thing is that he's on one of my fantasy teams.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Well, barely beating the depleted Fathers is NOT instilling any confidence in me! :lol:

A win is a win, although the Nats are really putting it together...

Members online

Latest posts