Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

January 2022 - New "Year" Arrivals!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I had a great time at the Rogers, AR show this weekend and ran into one of my favorite 90s dealers so I came home with about 100 cards I needed for sets. Some highlights
View attachment 317070 View attachment 317073 View attachment 317074 View attachment 317071 View attachment 317072

Figured I bet grab a Rookie Year auto of this guy before he gets into the Hall of Fame next year. Print run on these was 1,300.
View attachment 317075

Some eBay pickups came in too. Snagged a good deal on the complete run of Ginter Non-Sport Boxloaders from 2008 - 2019

View attachment 317077 View attachment 317078

View attachment 317079View attachment 317080
Nice grabs. That show is right in my backyard, and I have yet to go. I really need to hit it up next time.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Years ago I tried pursuing this set and was able to acquire quite a few of them, but ultimately sold them off. The prices have definitely gone up since I sold, but I was able to acquire one of them.

Reggie Jackson Piece of History 500 Club.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
01132022.jpg
A couple of 2021 Gold Refractor A's/50 and what I believe is Elvis Andrus's only A's autograph so far. Had to grab it in case they dry up (it was the last one on eBay) and they end up not making any more A's autographs of him.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
011422-1.jpg
2013 Bowman Chrome Draft Orange Refractor Sonny Gray RC 17/25, been looking for one of these for a while. 2000 Prism Premiere Date 32/61 Giambi, part of my effort to complete a little more of my Pacific needs. The Luzardo Gold Refractor insert 19/50 appealed to me with the "throwback" design. And I have started hunting down Topps Black parallels I'm missing 2017-2020...this Grossman puts me 8 away from completing the 2019 Series 1/2/Update run.

011422-2.jpg
And some 2021 Topps pickups.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I got this also, which warrants mention. I have never seen this before. Looks like it was a gatefold frame that was given away on photo day in 1979. Looks like the sponsor "Arthur Treacher's fish & Chips - never heard of them) was taking polaroid photos and you'd stick it into this album as a keepsake. This one is fresh, no photo inside, unused. Very cool.

s-l1600.jpg

I had to look up Treacher's. it said in the 70s they had as many as 800 stored, but as of 2021, only 1 remained! That is in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. Anyone close to there ever tried them? Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame was involved early on. Curious what knowledge you stumble into sometimes.

I found this image of a sign at 3rd & Pike from May 1979, so makes sense they may have sponsored something Mariners related, as that was downtown Seattle. Sounds like the whole franchise imploded not long after that.

default.jpg

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I got this also, which warrants mention. I have never seen this before. Looks like it was a gatefold frame that was given away on photo day in 1979. Looks like the sponsor "Arthur Treacher's fish & Chips - never heard of them) was taking polaroid photos and you'd stick it into this album as a keepsake. This one is fresh, no photo inside, unused. Very cool.

View attachment 317173

I had to look up Treacher's. it said in the 70s they had as many as 800 stored, but as of 2021, only 1 remained! That is in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. Anyone close to there ever tried them? Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame was involved early on. Curious what knowledge you stumble into sometimes.

I found this image of a sign at 3rd & Pike from May 1979, so makes sense they may have sponsored something Mariners related, as that was downtown Seattle. Sounds like the whole franchise imploded not long after that.

View attachment 317172
My favorite part is that it specifies "color photo day" that made me chuckle, cool piece.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The cards from my mid-month eBay binge are really starting to roll in.

011522-1.jpg
I stupidly initially began piecing together A's cards from 1995 Score Platinum rather than just buying the two series sets. The last one I needed for years was Rickey Henderson, and I could never find it. So how did I get it? Bought a series 2 team set with a bunch of cards I already had along with the single one I needed, Rickey.

011522-2.jpg
Only need one more card for the 1998 Donruss Preferred Seating team set now. I now have the Single, Double, and Triple Grieves out of 1998 Collector's Choice Starquest. I got outbid on a Quadruple/100 a few months ago. And this year I am trying to clean up my late '80s/early '90s food issue and other oddball needs, all of which are McGwire, Canseco, and Henderson. 90% of them are disc cards since I don't care as much about those. This McGwire is a 1990 MSA Iced Tea card. I'm not into it enough to go after every single Tea variation, Beckett doesn't list them all so this one alone is fine. For 1989 I need a generic Tea card plus the Tetley Tea one because beckett lists them separately for that year.

011522-3.jpg
A few early-mid '00s cards for team sets. Not sure why I didn't have this Zito yet but now I need 2 more for the 2000 SP Top Prospects Premium Edition/175 team set. Reggie puts me two away from 2004 Throwback Threads Gold Proofs/100. And I've got a ways to go on 2005 Topps Turkey Red Black, still 9 more for that team set after picking up this Mark Kotsay.

011522-4.jpg
And the biggest card from yesterday's mailday, a Jose Canseco auto out of 2021 Topps Rookie Cup. I couldn't resist the 1990 throwback design. I was 11 years old and the A's had won the World Series a couple of months prior when 1990 Topps first came out. It's funny to think of how mind blowing it would have been to have a Canseco autograph back then and now I have about 35 of them.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The cards from my mid-month eBay binge are really starting to roll in.

View attachment 317193
I stupidly initially began piecing together A's cards from 1995 Score Platinum rather than just buying the two series sets. The last one I needed for years was Rickey Henderson, and I could never find it. So how did I get it? Bought a series 2 team set with a bunch of cards I already had along with the single one I needed, Rickey.

View attachment 317194
Only need one more card for the 1998 Donruss Preferred Seating team set now. I now have the Single, Double, and Triple Grieves out of 1998 Collector's Choice Starquest. I got outbid on a Quadruple/100 a few months ago. And this year I am trying to clean up my late '80s/early '90s food issue and other oddball needs, all of which are McGwire, Canseco, and Henderson. 90% of them are disc cards since I don't care as much about those. This McGwire is a 1990 MSA Iced Tea card. I'm not into it enough to go after every single Tea variation, Beckett doesn't list them all so this one alone is fine. For 1989 I need a generic Tea card plus the Tetley Tea one because beckett lists them separately for that year.

View attachment 317195
A few early-mid '00s cards for team sets. Not sure why I didn't have this Zito yet but now I need 2 more for the 2000 SP Top Prospects Premium Edition/175 team set. Reggie puts me two away from 2004 Throwback Threads Gold Proofs/100. And I've got a ways to go on 2005 Topps Turkey Red Black, still 9 more for that team set after picking up this Mark Kotsay.

View attachment 317196
And the biggest card from yesterday's mailday, a Jose Canseco auto out of 2021 Topps Rookie Cup. I couldn't resist the 1990 throwback design. I was 11 years old and the A's had won the World Series a couple of months prior when 1990 Topps first came out. It's funny to think of how mind blowing it would have been to have a Canseco autograph back then and now I have about 35 of them.
I know how you feel. After I missed Garvey at a store signing appearance in So Cal in 1980, I sent one of those jumbo Topps 5x7 photo cards to him for a signature and got it back signed. I believe it was real. That was my first (and only, at least until he retired) Garvey autograph. I don't recall what #2 was, but the flood gates opened when i discovered ebay in 1998. Someday I'll do another count, maybe hold a contest over it, but the count is mind numbing now.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO

Loved Arthur Treacher's. If I remember correctly it was British themed LJS. Within a year or so Long John Silver's showed up and that was The beginning of the end for Treacher's.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Mariano's auto has eluded me. I think he is the only living HOF I don't have. I have most of the upcoming potential HOFers, but when you get to the 10 year or less guys, lots of POSSIBLE future HOFers that I don't have. Funny how that works, its a reverse market. Guys like Trout, Harper, Bryant, etc are more expensive that your average HOFer is now. They'll presumably only grow more expensive, unless they fair to continue on their current projection course.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Mariano's auto has eluded me. I think he is the only living HOF I don't have. I have most of the upcoming potential HOFers, but when you get to the 10 year or less guys, lots of POSSIBLE future HOFers that I don't have. Funny how that works, its a reverse market. Guys like Trout, Harper, Bryant, etc are more expensive that your average HOFer is now. They'll presumably only grow more expensive, unless they fair to continue on their current projection course.

Yeah, this one was up there in price last year (thanks, covid). I spend roughly 3 months searching various sites looking for a sharp design to match his signature before I found this card, and then another 26 days for it to arrive. No regrets on the purchase or the cost of grading since it's a permanent fixture in my collection.