Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kris Bryant & Mike Trout Win MVP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I dont really agree that a Most "Valuable" Player only leads his team to 4th place. I get that Trout had a slightly higher WAR than Betts (10.55-9.55, 1 and 2 in the MLB) but without Trout, the Angels are, get this, still a 4th place team. The Angels might have sold less tickets without Trout, but other than that, he didn't make an impact on their 2016 season. Betts on the other hand...

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I believe Trout is the best player in baseball. If the award was the Most Outstanding Player I would say lets just rename it the Trout..."The Trouty" perhaps and just send it to him like a magazine subscription, but itsmost VALUABLE player. Yes I am a sox fan, but I assure you this is not a simple homer vote. The Astros were in contention all year and without Altuve that wouldn't be the case, so if you are wondering, yes I think Altuve was also more deserving than Trout.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'm happy Trout won, but I would've had no problem is Mookie won, and I actually expected him to. The finish of a player's team really carries zero weight for me. Baseball is a team game more than any other. If anything, being the lone, extremely bright spot on a doleful team is, if anything, a little more of an achievement because it'd be easy to phone it in. One player cannot "lead" his team to the playoffs like a hot hockey goalie. I mean, how much more could Trout do? Pitch? Even more, the standings are the result of all players' play. If Texas beat the crap out of Seattle (12-7) and Houston (15-4), and was over .500 against Oakland (10-9) all season, what could Trout do about that? In fact, Texas only won the season against LAA 10-9, as well, although I haven't drilled down to see how Trout did in those games. But if you take WAR literally, one could say that without him they'd be solidly in last place. Replacing him with a normal dude, they'd have about 64 wins, 5 games behind the A's.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would have chose Betts.

Trout would be fine if his numbers were much better than Betts, since his team was bad.
But their traditional stats like avg. and homers were very similar, and Betts was second to Trout in WAR.
Plus, Trout was 8th among AL centerfielders in runs saved, while Betts was 1st among AL rightfielders.

Members online