Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MINNESOTA TWINS - What hotel does the visiting team stay at?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
securedsports said:
r2d2 said:
Jeff N. said:
securedsports said:
[quote="Jeff N.":2w6cy77l]
securedsports said:
Its not stalking you guys, its called getting their autograph prior to them getting into the hotel. Lots of people do it. Obviously not you guys.

Not those of us with a life or significant other.

Some of you need to turn the page and not use these message boards as a sounding off party. If you have nothing good to say don't say it at all. If you read my post I will be up there for work, not with my family or signficant other.

Is your "work" getting autographs from ballplayers? Because if it's not, you're stalking these guys.

You wanna know where they stay? Call the team. If you post here, you're going to get a lot of people disparaging you for it because it's a really crappy thing to do and pisses off the players.

I agree.
I didn't really understand the logic behind "is ok becase lots of people do it", can someone explain how that works? Also it confused me how is it different from stalking.

But writing them numerous times and sending in care of the team is a lot better. There is nothing wrong with asking for an autograph from a player as they walk into their hotel. Give me a good reason why it is bad. Its not like I would be interupting their dinner.[/quote:2w6cy77l]

A good reason is also a very simple one: because if you were on his shoes you wouldn't like it, that easy. You would expend most of your day at the stadium or traveling (where you also sign autographs, take pictures and greet people). The arrival at the hotel is to finally rest (they need it to continue producing and have a job) or chill out for a while. A player must be an amazing person, love the fans, give autographs, but tolerating the stalkers, like someone before me said: "it gets old"

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Nothing beats the "holier than thou" guys who are always knocking people getting autographs. If you've got a problem with it, don't do it, simple as that.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
Enough. Both of you. I feel like I watching two clones play a game of "repeat".

Jeff- You should know better, especially being the guy who "stalks" Phillies players using a child. Quite hypocritical.

So, maybe you both should stop the bickering.

You don't know me, Adam, you don't know a damn thing about me. Show me where I'm eBaying autographs. I believe I posted a message a few weeks ago how there's no reason for anyone under the age of 16 to try to get an autograph......

So the I collect Michael Cuddyer. The pink bat that is in my sig I purchased thru MLB.com
I received it unsigned, but thought I would look nice signed and with a "Mothers Day 09" inscription.
I'm 37 years old. By your logic, I should never have gone to Twinsfest, paid $8 to get in and stand in line for 2 hours and pay $25 to have Cuddyer sign it, or the game used jersey I bought at Twinsfest and also paid $25 to get signed, BTW all of the money goes to the Twins Community Fund, that assists with little league teams and ball fields throughout the state of Minnesota, correct?
Cant wait to hear your response on this one. Are you gonna back pedal or make an exception to your above rule or stick to your guns and state that I, a 37 yr old man should not collect items of my favorite player and pay to get them to sign stuff that supports my community?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Musial Collector said:
[quote="Jeff N.":1vvmth7y]
NECpilgrims8 said:

Jeff- You should know better, especially being the guy who "stalks" Phillies players using a child. Quite hypocritical.

You don't know me, Adam, you don't know a damn thing about me. Show me where I'm eBaying autographs. I believe I posted a message a few weeks ago how there's no reason for anyone under the age of 16 to try to get an autograph......

So the I collect Michael Cuddyer. The pink bat that is in my sig I purchased thru MLB.com
I received it unsigned, but thought I would look nice signed and with a "Mothers Day 09" inscription.
I'm 37 years old. By your logic, I should never have gone to Twinsfest, paid $8 to get in and stand in line for 2 hours and pay $25 to have Cuddyer sign it, or the game used jersey I bought at Twinsfest and also paid $25 to get signed, BTW all of the money goes to the Twins Community Fund, that assists with little league teams and ball fields throughout the state of Minnesota, correct?
Cant wait to hear your response on this one. Are you gonna back pedal or make an exception to your above rule or stick to your guns and state that I, a 37 yr old man should not collect items of my favorite player and pay to get them to sign stuff that supports my community?[/quote:1vvmth7y]

There's no reason not to donate money. Don't feel as though you need to donate money ONLY because you're getting something out of it. You've taken this post to an adversarial level, which it need not go to -- however, please don't cite the Twins Community Fund which may or may not assist with little league teams and state that you're donating money to it and try to get a warm glow from it -- because you're not donating money, you're paying for the autograph. You would have paid $25 to get the jersey/bat signed even if the money went straight to Target.

I go to the Phillies Phanfest every year before spring training. This year, I went with my wife, my 3 year old son, my 9 year old son, and his 9 year old buddy who is also a Phillies phan. At the Phanfest, they set up 2 lines where three Phillies sign autographs. It's $10-15 per line. Lines usually take 10-30 minutes to get through depending on who's there. Every year I buy one ticket for my son and the Phils are more than accommodating in allowing us to get pictures of my son with the player, if we want to. This year I bought his buddy a ticket too. The money goes to Phillies Charities, which usually helps with little leagues and ALS research. Frankly, that has little bearing as to whether I would buy tickets or not. It makes me loosen my wallet a little more when it comes to the Phillies auction stuff, though. This year, I don't think we got any pics as one of the players signing was JA Happ, and he already had a pic my son and Happ that he needed to get signed. However, as much of a Happ fan I am, I have no desire for his autograph, nor would I stand in a line for it. I do it because my kid gets a big rush out of meeting his heroes and as a parent, I enjoy seeing him happy, especially happy with the team that I've followed for 30+ years. We've amassed a nice colletion of about 25-30 signed pictures of him with Phillies and another 10-15 unsigned... When Ryan Howard and Jim Thome and Chase Utley and Cole Hamels ( :) ) are in the Hall of Fame, it'll be really neat for him to show his kids the autographed pictures of him as a kid with these guys.

I think the last auto I got was of a picture of Cole Hamels and me that was taken in 03-04 when he was in Clearwater as a Thresher. Once you become a parent and your child becomes interest in baseball, your priorities change. It's not about you anymore, it's about your son's enjoyment.

But as a 37 year old man myself, I would not wait in line for 2 hours for anyone's autograph. Not even with my son. What you choose to do with your time is your decision.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Once you find out where you stay you could dress up like room service and go around knocking on all the players doors.

:cough:jlvjr16:cough:

:lol:

I lol at this also....but I do not actually knock on hotel rooms of players.

brb currently working...

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I think there is an acceptable way to do most things, as well as get in person autographs. Although I don't think I would bother following the guys to the hotel, I think if you aren't a dick about it you can do it without crossing a line.

Rule #1 of IP autographs, don't be a dick.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
cgilmo said:
I think there is an acceptable way to do most things, as well as get in person autographs. Although I don't think I would bother following the guys to the hotel, I think if you aren't a dick about it you can do it without crossing a line.

Rule #2 BYOP (Bring your own pen)

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
securedsports said:
cgilmo said:

See, I would think that would be obvious. And I would think that most people that aggressively push for autographs are dicks.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Musial Collector said:
[quote="Jeff N.":8kc1f46u]
NECpilgrims8 said:

Cant wait to hear your response on this one. Are you gonna back pedal or make an exception to your above rule or stick to your guns and state that I, a 37 yr old man should not collect items of my favorite player and pay to get them to sign stuff that supports my community?[/quote:8kc1f46u]

Check the sticker, I bought one of a guy I collect on and off (it was cheap, it had all the patches, and it was a good buy, or so I thought) and I got home to see what game it was used it... It was actually game issued and the kid only played 2 MLB games with the Twins. Still a nice piece but not what the clerks told me it was
securedsports said:
cgilmo said:

Ha! I messed up on my first try at an MLB game and it was one of my favorite players. That was his 4th to last home game with the team and then they traded him.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
cgilmo said:
securedsports said:
cgilmo said:

See, I would think that would be obvious. And I would think that most people that aggressively push for autographs are dicks.

So your saying I am a dick because I like to get autographs if I see these players. Not sure, but I know how to treat them, when its right and when its not. I have one item and do not use a kid as bait or have a dozen balls going back and forth like I see at Spring Training.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
securedsports said:
cgilmo said:
securedsports said:
cgilmo said:

So your saying I am a dick because I like to get autographs if I see these players. Not sure, but I know how to treat them, when its right and when its not. I have one item and do not use a kid as bait or have a dozen balls going back and forth like I see at Spring Training.

nope! I am saying that most people who aggressively push for autographs are dicks.

I said nothing about you directly or indirectly.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
I am unsure if I push for autos...but as a goal I always try my best to get IP autographs such as everyone try there best in prospecting and set monetary goals for ROI.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
securedsports said:
I am heading up there for work next weekend and at night wanted to get some autographs or try anyhow. Anybody know.

If I had the info I will let you know...I only do NYC.

And I applaud your effort to get IP autographs.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
cgilmo said:
securedsports said:
cgilmo said:
securedsports said:
cgilmo said:

nope! I am saying that most people who aggressively push for autographs are dicks.

I said nothing about you directly or indirectly.

I tend to agree on your comment for "that group" that we all know Gilmo and I are talking about. That is all they do and are rude to the players, ask them for an autograph and if they do not sign say something nasty to them. I do it for fun and do not resell anything. Just an experience. Everybody collects something, I tend to collect Autographed Baseballs.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
cgilmo said:
I don't even care if people resell the stuff.

I just hate people being a dick to players for not signing. Or people who form their opinion of players based on weather they sign or not.

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Nick Swisher was a complete dick to me yesterday night. He tells me "this is like your fifth autograph" I told him "No."

He gives me a ****** signature but from what I hear and know, he's really good with people. I got him in the not so good mode.

I realize that and my opinion is "he's really good with people especially signing autographs." Just because of that experience, I am not going to say "He's a total ********* for not signing."

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
jlvjr16 said:
cgilmo said:

I just hate people being a dick to players for not signing. Or people who form their opinion of players based on weather they sign or not.

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Nick Swisher was a complete dick to me yesterday night. He tells me "this is like your fifth autograph" I told him "No."

He gives me a shatty signature but from what I hear and know, he's really good with people. I got him in the not so good mode.

I realize that and my opinion is "he's really good with people especially signing autographs." Just because of that experience, I am not going to say "He's a total ********* for not signing."

Swisher: "this is like your fifth autograph"

jlvjr16: "No."

jlvjr16: "You forgot the two you gave me when you were in traffic leaving the stadium, the one you gave me while you were drinking at a bar, the one you gave me while you were eating dinner, the one you gave me when I entered your hotel room under the room service cart, and the one that you gave me when you opened your hotel room and your 'female masseuse' was there waiting for you. So, this is like my 11th. Thanks!"

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
jlvjr16 said:
cgilmo said:

He gives me a shatty signature but from what I hear and know, he's really good with people. I got him in the not so good mode.

Yet he still wasn't a dick to you.

He doesn't have to sign anything for you, and the fact that he was willing to do so even after he had it in his head that you were asking too much says a lot about his willingness to be fan friendly.

Athletes have a very limited amount of time to sign, and it's only logical that they would want that time to be spent giving autographs to as many fans as possible and not 11 to one guy.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
Jeff N. said:
jlvjr16 said:
cgilmo said:

Swisher: "this is like your fifth autograph"

jlvjr16: "No."

jlvjr16: "You forgot the two you gave me when you were in traffic leaving the stadium, the one you gave me while you were drinking at a bar, the one you gave me while you were eating dinner, the one you gave me when I entered your hotel room under the room service cart, and the one that you gave me when you opened your hotel room and your 'female masseuse' was there waiting for you. So, this is like my 11th. Thanks!"

Jeff N: Wrong!!! Not true.. but funny...I wish I had 11 autos of Swish.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
securedsports said:
Its not stalking you guys, its called getting their autograph prior to them getting into the hotel. Lots of people do it. Obviously not you guys.

Not those of us with a life or significant other.

I have both and nothing stops me from graphing basketball teams at hotels. For those of you that like one of the following: playing the astronomical odds of not only getting an auto ,but actually getting an auto of the player(s) you want at a ballpark, or those of you who like busting a box at a srp of $80 or more and praying to god, or those of you who like paying out the nose at a show and just hoping that one of the autograph guests is somebody you really want, then this is not for you. But for those of us who can't afford the wax or the shows, and for those of us that get tired of the fight to get an auto, any auto for that matter, at a game, its what we do. I wish ya'll could just admit that you aren't cool with it for whatever assnine reason and then let it go. Crashing a charity event is wrong IMO. Trying to ask while a player is busy eating is kind of out of line too. But what it boils down to is sometimes you get a chance to cash in and get what you want. By cash in, no I do not mean selling your autos. I mean that we all spend a lot of time and effort with our love for the respective sports we follow. Every now and again its great to be able to go out, have a little adventure, and get a nice auto of a player you like and to boot, have a story to tell.

Now, like I said, whatever you guys get upset about is beyond me. But you can't blame a guy for trying to get an auto. There are boundaries but I would hardly consider one of them a hotel lobby or even outside a hotel. Because there are guys I have gotten by chance that I can't even afford an auto of. The worst they could have done was said no. And I'll sleep very well at night knowing damn well that I didn't waste a chance.

Members online

Latest posts