Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MINNESOTA TWINS - What hotel does the visiting team stay at?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
r2d2 said:
Jeff N. said:
securedsports said:
[quote="Jeff N.":29zcbopu]
securedsports said:
Its not stalking you guys, its called getting their autograph prior to them getting into the hotel. Lots of people do it. Obviously not you guys.

Not those of us with a life or significant other.

Some of you need to turn the page and not use these message boards as a sounding off party. If you have nothing good to say don't say it at all. If you read my post I will be up there for work, not with my family or signficant other.

Is your "work" getting autographs from ballplayers? Because if it's not, you're stalking these guys.

You wanna know where they stay? Call the team. If you post here, you're going to get a lot of people disparaging you for it because it's a really crappy thing to do and pisses off the players.

I agree.
I didn't really understand the logic behind "is ok becase lots of people do it", can someone explain how that works? Also it confused me how is it different from stalking.[/quote:29zcbopu]

Because if you want milk you go to the grocery store. If you want a pack of smokes you go to the corner store. If you want to buy a car you go to a dealership. If you want an auto of a player...you go where they go. Usually that used to mean the ball park. As of late I have personally noticed a pretty nasty trend where about 80% of the people at the games now are all dealers. I mean come on. Its a little noticeable when you see a dude carrying around a box of 16x20 photos of only star players. It butts people like me and my wife who like to get whoever we can on a ball. So what do you do?

Its a personal choice. Stalking someone would be following their every move and going everywhere they do. Sneaking up to a persons room posing as a guest or room service. Stuff like that.

But I go to a hotel with my buddies about an hour before players start to trickle out for the team bus. We shoot the crap, bicker back and forth, and then the players come out. We ask if they will sign, the ones who want to do, and then we go home. Nothing more nothing less.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
securedsports said:
r2d2 said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3a02q9m4]
securedsports said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3a02q9m4]
securedsports said:
Its not stalking you guys, its called getting their autograph prior to them getting into the hotel. Lots of people do it. Obviously not you guys.

Not those of us with a life or significant other.

Some of you need to turn the page and not use these message boards as a sounding off party. If you have nothing good to say don't say it at all. If you read my post I will be up there for work, not with my family or signficant other.

Is your "work" getting autographs from ballplayers? Because if it's not, you're stalking these guys.

You wanna know where they stay? Call the team. If you post here, you're going to get a lot of people disparaging you for it because it's a really crappy thing to do and pisses off the players.

I agree.
I didn't really understand the logic behind "is ok becase lots of people do it", can someone explain how that works? Also it confused me how is it different from stalking.

But writing them numerous times and sending in care of the team is a lot better. There is nothing wrong with asking for an autograph from a player as they walk into their hotel. Give me a good reason why it is bad. Its not like I would be interupting their dinner.[/quote:3a02q9m4]

Because they're trying to get to their hotel for a reason.

In the immortal words of Avenue Q's Gary Coleman, "It Gets Old."

---

You don't see it. We're not going to be able to convince you of it. Let's agree to disagree that you're a stalking sociopath who cares only about himself and his needs and wants and desides.[/quote:3a02q9m4]

All they have to do is say no. I would agree that any more persuance at that poitn is out of line. But there is no harm in asking.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
Enough. Both of you. I feel like I watching two clones play a game of "repeat".

Jeff- You should know better, especially being the guy who "stalks" Phillies players using a child. Quite hypocritical.

So, maybe you both should stop the bickering.

You don't know me, Adam, you don't know a damn thing about me. Show me where I'm eBaying autographs. I believe I posted a message a few weeks ago how there's no reason for anyone under the age of 16 to try to get an autograph......

And why the hell not? Seriously...I'd love to hear what you mean by that. Am I weird for liking to obtain autos as an adult? You know...its funny...I remember being a kid, and never getting autos because I never got to go to games much. I got one while I was young. Just one. Now I can get as many autos as I have the time and gas to go get. And I am wrong for that? If I am wrong for that...then wouldn't we all be wrong for colelcting card board pictures with men on them. Give it a break.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
Not exactly sure why there is so much animosity towards graphers. Why is meeting players worse than wasting $1000's on pictures of them on cardboard? I would much rather meet someone like derek jeter than drop a ton of cash on a signed 2.5x3.5 card. Im a card collector, as well as an autograph seeker, so please don't misconstrue this as me putting down card collecting, but the "holier than thou" thing with some people gets old

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Musial Collector":3ntifcyi][quote="Jeff N.":3ntifcyi]
NECpilgrims8 said:

Jeff- You should know better, especially being the guy who "stalks" Phillies players using a child. Quite hypocritical.

You don't know me, Adam, you don't know a damn thing about me. Show me where I'm eBaying autographs. I believe I posted a message a few weeks ago how there's no reason for anyone under the age of 16 to try to get an autograph......

So the I collect Michael Cuddyer. The pink bat that is in my sig I purchased thru MLB.com
I received it unsigned, but thought I would look nice signed and with a "Mothers Day 09" inscription.
I'm 37 years old. By your logic, I should never have gone to Twinsfest, paid $8 to get in and stand in line for 2 hours and pay $25 to have Cuddyer sign it, or the game used jersey I bought at Twinsfest and also paid $25 to get signed, BTW all of the money goes to the Twins Community Fund, that assists with little league teams and ball fields throughout the state of Minnesota, correct?
Cant wait to hear your response on this one. Are you gonna back pedal or make an exception to your above rule or stick to your guns and state that I, a 37 yr old man should not collect items of my favorite player and pay to get them to sign stuff that supports my community?[/quote:3ntifcyi]

There's no reason not to donate money. Don't feel as though you need to donate money ONLY because you're getting something out of it. You've taken this post to an adversarial level, which it need not go to -- however, please don't cite the Twins Community Fund which may or may not assist with little league teams and state that you're donating money to it and try to get a warm glow from it -- because you're not donating money, you're paying for the autograph. You would have paid $25 to get the jersey/bat signed even if the money went straight to Target.

I go to the Phillies Phanfest every year before spring training. This year, I went with my wife, my 3 year old son, my 9 year old son, and his 9 year old buddy who is also a Phillies phan. At the Phanfest, they set up 2 lines where three Phillies sign autographs. It's $10-15 per line. Lines usually take 10-30 minutes to get through depending on who's there. Every year I buy one ticket for my son and the Phils are more than accommodating in allowing us to get pictures of my son with the player, if we want to. This year I bought his buddy a ticket too. The money goes to Phillies Charities, which usually helps with little leagues and ALS research. Frankly, that has little bearing as to whether I would buy tickets or not. It makes me loosen my wallet a little more when it comes to the Phillies auction stuff, though. This year, I don't think we got any pics as one of the players signing was JA Happ, and he already had a pic my son and Happ that he needed to get signed. However, as much of a Happ fan I am, I have no desire for his autograph, nor would I stand in a line for it. I do it because my kid gets a big rush out of meeting his heroes and as a parent, I enjoy seeing him happy, especially happy with the team that I've followed for 30+ years. We've amassed a nice colletion of about 25-30 signed pictures of him with Phillies and another 10-15 unsigned... When Ryan Howard and Jim Thome and Chase Utley and Cole Hamels ( :) ) are in the Hall of Fame, it'll be really neat for him to show his kids the autographed pictures of him as a kid with these guys.

I think the last auto I got was of a picture of Cole Hamels and me that was taken in 03-04 when he was in Clearwater as a Thresher. Once you become a parent and your child becomes interest in baseball, your priorities change. It's not about you anymore, it's about your son's enjoyment.

But as a 37 year old man myself, I would not wait in line for 2 hours for anyone's autograph. Not even with my son. What you choose to do with your time is your decision.[/quote:3ntifcyi]

Then you're just not an autograph collector. Some got it some don't. My boss gave me hell for going to get Adrian Peterson the other day up in Palestine. He said it was nuts. I got the auto anyways and sure enough, he is remorseful he didn't go. We were talking about it the other day and I told him point blank...you have to make a choice. Either get it or don't. I have many friends and family members who would love to have even one of the autos I have. They are all rabid sports fans but the point I make to them is I won't be getting them autos of players. I have had too many people tell me they want something signed but they have the same attitude you do. My take is if they aren't willing to go get the auto, they don't want it bad enough.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
predatorkj said:
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Musial Collector":3j8zdh8p][quote="Jeff N.":3j8zdh8p]
NECpilgrims8 said:

So the I collect Michael Cuddyer. The pink bat that is in my sig I purchased thru MLB.com
I received it unsigned, but thought I would look nice signed and with a "Mothers Day 09" inscription.
I'm 37 years old. By your logic, I should never have gone to Twinsfest, paid $8 to get in and stand in line for 2 hours and pay $25 to have Cuddyer sign it, or the game used jersey I bought at Twinsfest and also paid $25 to get signed, BTW all of the money goes to the Twins Community Fund, that assists with little league teams and ball fields throughout the state of Minnesota, correct?
Cant wait to hear your response on this one. Are you gonna back pedal or make an exception to your above rule or stick to your guns and state that I, a 37 yr old man should not collect items of my favorite player and pay to get them to sign stuff that supports my community?

There's no reason not to donate money. Don't feel as though you need to donate money ONLY because you're getting something out of it. You've taken this post to an adversarial level, which it need not go to -- however, please don't cite the Twins Community Fund which may or may not assist with little league teams and state that you're donating money to it and try to get a warm glow from it -- because you're not donating money, you're paying for the autograph. You would have paid $25 to get the jersey/bat signed even if the money went straight to Target.

I go to the Phillies Phanfest every year before spring training. This year, I went with my wife, my 3 year old son, my 9 year old son, and his 9 year old buddy who is also a Phillies phan. At the Phanfest, they set up 2 lines where three Phillies sign autographs. It's $10-15 per line. Lines usually take 10-30 minutes to get through depending on who's there. Every year I buy one ticket for my son and the Phils are more than accommodating in allowing us to get pictures of my son with the player, if we want to. This year I bought his buddy a ticket too. The money goes to Phillies Charities, which usually helps with little leagues and ALS research. Frankly, that has little bearing as to whether I would buy tickets or not. It makes me loosen my wallet a little more when it comes to the Phillies auction stuff, though. This year, I don't think we got any pics as one of the players signing was JA Happ, and he already had a pic my son and Happ that he needed to get signed. However, as much of a Happ fan I am, I have no desire for his autograph, nor would I stand in a line for it. I do it because my kid gets a big rush out of meeting his heroes and as a parent, I enjoy seeing him happy, especially happy with the team that I've followed for 30+ years. We've amassed a nice colletion of about 25-30 signed pictures of him with Phillies and another 10-15 unsigned... When Ryan Howard and Jim Thome and Chase Utley and Cole Hamels ( :) ) are in the Hall of Fame, it'll be really neat for him to show his kids the autographed pictures of him as a kid with these guys.

I think the last auto I got was of a picture of Cole Hamels and me that was taken in 03-04 when he was in Clearwater as a Thresher. Once you become a parent and your child becomes interest in baseball, your priorities change. It's not about you anymore, it's about your son's enjoyment.

But as a 37 year old man myself, I would not wait in line for 2 hours for anyone's autograph. Not even with my son. What you choose to do with your time is your decision.[/quote:3j8zdh8p]

Then you're just not an autograph collector. Some got it some don't. My boss gave me hell for going to get Adrian Peterson the other day up in Palestine. He said it was nuts. I got the auto anyways and sure enough, he is remorseful he didn't go. We were talking about it the other day and I told him point blank...you have to make a choice. Either get it or don't. I have many friends and family members who would love to have even one of the autos I have. They are all rabid sports fans but the point I make to them is I won't be getting them autos of players. I have had too many people tell me they want something signed but they have the same attitude you do. My take is if they aren't willing to go get the auto, they don't want it bad enough.[/quote:3j8zdh8p]

I never said I was an autograph collector.

There are many things people collect and spend money on that I see no point on - including in this hobby. For instance, opening a case of 1984 Topps and submitting common cards to PSA for a high grade. Just don't see the point.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
I never said I was an autograph collector.

There are many things people collect and spend money on that I see no point on - including in this hobby. For instance, opening a case of 1984 Topps and submitting common cards to PSA for a high grade. Just don't see the point.

I never said you were either. Its pretty obvious. My point was that some people do it and some don't. What the people who are willing to do it go through to do it, well, if you aren't into it of course it seems crazy.

I used my boss as an example because he was really pissed at himself for not going but he even admitted he wouldn't have wanted to go to that kind of length to get the auto. Now...him aside...most people I know feel the same way about my hobby. Their jaw drops and they ask how the hell I get all the autos. My answer? Hard freakin work! They think they are all awesome until I tell them about how long you have to stand in line and for some players...its an all day affair and whatnot. Then they say how they wouldn't be able to go through that to get the auto. And then, without a hitch at all, the conversation immediately heads towards doom when they start acting like you are a weirdo for going to the lengths you do. Its because they don't collect them, because they won't personally go through what you will to get them, and because they don't have them. Its much easier to piss on a parade you are not a part of.

And that is what ticks me off. I have had to deal with this sort of attitude since I even had any sort of hobby. I owned an X-MEN #1 and people really enjoyed seeing it. They said it was cool and how they'd love to own something like that. Then you tell them how much you paid for it($1200) and they think you are nuts. All the while I am sitting there thinking "Well...if you want one then that's what they cost". It could relate to any other thing in the world. Something as simple as a pack of smokes all the way to a ferrari. If you want one bad enough(and you have the means of course) you will eventually go after it. If you don't you won't. But to obtain anything in this world, you have to do what is necessary to obtain it. To be bashed or called stupid or ridiculous for simply doing what is necessary to obtain something is kinda dumb. Chances are, everyone on earth wants something at one point in time bad enough to go above and beyond what most others will. And people will always admire what the other person has, but mock them for doing what they had to do to get it. Just doesn't make snese.

I guess on this board, what with all of us actually paying cash for cardboard, I would expect people to understand a little more. After all...I may not pay $16,000+ for a superfractor of Strasburg but I sure the hell aint knocking the guy who did. Because I have paid probably 10 times more for any random Bagwell card than he probably ever would. So what the hells the point?

jack123jack

May 10, 2011
My opinion to this topic,I think all the teams use different hotels - depending on who they have special discounts with. I very much doubt that the team will give out this info. I suggest searchin blogs about the team - that sort of thing often shows up there.Teams generally use large high profile chain hotels.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
My opinion on this topic is simple. Why pay ridiculous prices for signed memorabilia from dealers like Upper Deck and Steiner when you can get it done FREE yourself and meet the player?? There is absolutely nothing wrong with graphing at the stadium or outside a hotel. Ive been graphing on and off for the past 4-5 years and would never been able to afford a Pujols or Ichiro Suzuki autograph being a college student but have got them FREE in person. Some of you guys need to relax and stop the bitterness towards graphers.

Members online

Latest posts