Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Finally landed a Helmar. Not sure if I got it from the maker or if this is a resell, but the person who sent it is BEGGING for a damaged return. Mailed in a flimsy cardboard mailer, with no topload or other inside bend protection. The mailer was creased, but luckily the card was not in the "wrong" spot at the right time. Why do people care so little about protecting the merchandise they sell and send? The card itself is decent. I'd rank it up there with the Banty and Sporting Life customs I have bought and enjoyed. I like the weathered vintage effect, but the perfectly rounded corners is a bit too much I think. I'd prefer a lesser worn look to the corners, but otherwise nice. Helmar F.jpgHelmar B.jpg

Hoese, who has yet to break the 40 man. Looks like he may have peaked in AA and is now back in rookie ball. Perhaps one of a long time of touted prospects with tons of cards that will never pan out. Hoese.jpg

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
Hey Curt,

I have been a member here for a while, but for some reason I forget about these boards here. I need to start coming here more often.

I had no idea that you had an auto thread here like this. Looks like you have quite the variety. I will have to browse this when I get a little more time.

Since my Cardinals thread over at the other place is slowing down greatly due to it being about 95% complete, I am thinking about one day posting mine over here. Since it has been over 15 years in the making, I'm not sure what order to do it in. I guess I will probably do it in year order. I will need to do some thinking on it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Hey Curt,

I have been a member here for a while, but for some reason I forget about these boards here. I need to start coming here more often.

I had no idea that you had an auto thread here like this. Looks like you have quite the variety. I will have to browse this when I get a little more time.

Since my Cardinals thread over at the other place is slowing down greatly due to it being about 95% complete, I am thinking about one day posting mine over here. Since it has been over 15 years in the making, I'm not sure what order to do it in. I guess I will probably do it in year order. I will need to do some thinking on it.
I think the group here would really enjoy your Cards auto thread. Bring it on over!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another Garvey jersey #6 s/n card. I guess my rival was sleeping this time! Garvey 6-299.jpg

Garvey was voted as the top hobby favorite. A little surprised, as he was winding down his career at that point. Garvey BHN.jpg

Wood. Wood.jpg
Wills. s-l1600.jpg

Coloumbe. He doesn't have much to chase, so added this to go with his A's Topps card. Coulombe.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Forgot this one too. Funny how it used to be my primary focus, now I am forgetting new Garvey PUs. This is /25 and one of the better non-logo Panini cards.s-l1600.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Finally picking up a few Garvey from newer issues, as prices fall. Garvey GQ.jpg

Locastro /25. Locastro 25.jpg

An impulse vintage buy, since I have Jake Daubert on a saved search lately. Nap Rucker/Jake Daubert. 2 dead ball era guys that don't get much attention, because they aren't Cobb/Young! Not quite as good as those 2 examples, but fine ball players never the less. This is actually a dupe even... Mecca 1.jpgMecca 2.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I really like these quite a bit, but it's hard for me to see much more than over paying for a 3x5 card (or in this case, looks like a cut personal check)! This one featuring "Babe" Herman was /99. Can't believe there were that many Herman cards issued that year! Not to be confused with HOFer Billy Herman, who also played for Brooklyn. Both played in the 30s and 40s and were nearly teammates, but it was not to be. Babe returned to Brooklyn at the end of his career in 1945 at the age of 42, after last playing in 1937! I never knew this and don't know why, but I am going to go look shortly. Maybe he was a late wartime sub? Billy, on the other hand played in Brooklyn from 1941-43, then entered the service for 44-45 at the age of 33. He returned to Brooklyn in 1946, but bounced to a couple more teams before calling it in 1947.

How about this stat line for Babe. In 1930, he had 143 runs scored, 241 hits, 48 doubles, 11 triples, 35 HRs, 130 RBI and hit .393. He even added 18 steals! This was before the invent of the AS game, so he was not an all-star. He was not in the MVP voting apparently, according to Baseball reference. He didn't even lead the league in any of those stats, BUT he did lead the league in caught stealing with 13! Crazy how a season like that is such a sleeper.
Herman.jpg

Sutton gold /50 dupe. Sutton 50.jpg

This guy nearly arrived at the same time as my Mecca Daubert, but he took the very long way. Another case where the seller shipped the wrong card. I think I mentioned something about this a while back (w/o the details). Thankfully, the buyer of the other card who got mine was willing to return the Daubert (I got some guy I'd never heard of). After having us both ship back to him, the seller resent our cards to the rightful buyers. Better late than never! This is actually a dupe for me as well. I went on a Daubert buying spree early in ebay's existence, thankfully, when everything was much cheaper.

T207

You don't really hear his named being tossed around, but he had a heck of a career. He won the NL MVP (it was actually called Chalmers Award back then) in 1913, was an early Brooklyn star and may someday get some HOF consideration from one of the veteran committees.

Daubert.jpg

Last item was this oversized proof sheet (and uncut section) for the Padres team issued postcard set. I believe this particular year was 1983. Garvey PC Proof.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nice bonus! Putting card away and I see the serial number is 22. That seemed like it might have been Palmers number to me….it was! I really don’t pay attention to this outside of Garvey’s 6, so it was a nice surprise.0CE830A8-FA5D-4EFF-8425-66DDD77AF392.jpeg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'll start with another Hembree, on ly because the other one is next post up... Unless he somehow gets a Dodger auto, I really want his Valaint auto for my place holder. I have always really liked that set ever since I was chasing the Puig. MHembree.jpg

I also ended up winning a bunch of common autos and GU from the early 2000s. Cheap, boring stuff, so I won't show it all. Still, a couple warrant mention on an otherwise slow day. Not for who they are, but more for the creative set designs. I guess the reality is, if the sets had better players, I wouldn't get to own them anyway, so I should just be happy that I can add a Shane Nance for a buck or two from a really cool set.

s-l500-2.jpgs-l500.jpgs-l500-1.jpg

Last item is a Niedenfuer /10, which is a dupe for me. This set with the holofoil /10 is pretty popular and they always sell strongly. Was hoping to get a serious steal because it has a pretty horrific corner ding, but it still sold pretty well. I probably should have just let someone else get the win, but I couldn't!Niedenfuer 10.jpg

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
Tom Niedenfuer.... I believe he have up Ozzie Smith's iconic "Go Crazy" home run in 1985. Then to top it off, the next game he gave up the game winning home run to Jack Clark!

On your collection.... You are killing it!

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
I was 10 years old. It was a Sunday afternoon (I am almost 100% sure). I was at my Granddaddy and Granny's house listening to it on the radio at the kitchen table. I heard "Go crazy" in it's original form....live on the radio!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Don Sutton. Sutton.jpg

I'll show this here instead of the monthly, because Garvey is on it. Advertised as a RC Cola AS facsimile ball, not sure that is correct, but I have no clue. Just never seen one advertised from RC before. RC Ball 1.jpgRC Ball 2.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A big Garvey /10 but turns out I had this version and until I check my files, this may be the third one of this same #! I definitely didn't mean to do that...Garvey 10.jpg

Zoilo. Zoilo.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
First a true Dodger, then a Dodger in different stripes and a story.

This card is creased. I see that it is now in the scan. If the description mentions it, I am once again screwed by my inability to slow down and look closer at things. It's getting worse, so I really need to do something about it. The transaction was not pricy, but I still don't need to be buying common, newer cards with damage.

If they didn't mention it, I may do a return. Pedro. Guerrero.jpg

The last item is a pretty good one. Caught it on a BIN. 2017 Topps Archives was the Archives set that pulled me back heavily into the new autograph card market. Several Dodgers were in the set, including Tommy Lasorda, Ron Cey, Manny Mota, Wally Moon and a number of guys who played for the Dodgers at some point, but were not featured as Dodgers.

I decided to put together as many of the set as I could in all 4 color parallels. There are a total of 50 cards I chased, most having 4 parallels, some only having a couple. Upwards of 200 autographed cards is a major undertaking for me, as I am not much of a set builder. However, I went hard into this and was able to wrap up with 48/50 complete with all the base & non 1/1 variations that existed. 13 subjects had fewer than 4 cards, but the rest had all 4! I am still short the red /25 cards of Jim Edmonds and Bald Vinny. I absolutely won't spend good money on Bald Vinny, so even though a red showed up on ebay not that long ago, seller wanted something like $40. Hard pass. I'd pay maybe $15 for one. I mean, the guy is a fan with some home town fame. Hardly a good subject for the set, but like I said, I went all in and even bought 3 other Vinnys.

What is more exciting is that each card has a gold 1/1 parallel. While tracking down 4 of most cards, a few golds eventually showed up and I was able to nab some. I believe Bill Bean was the first and since he did a short stint with LA, it was perfect. As I progressed, a few more came in. Sadly, the only Dodger I ever saw was Lasorda and it went too high for my blood, but I ended up with 6 golds, Bene, Mark Langston, Tony Pena, Jim Joyce (Ump), Mike Scott & Brian Jordan (Dodger ties too). This latest item brought me to 7 full sets, adding Terry Mulholland to the gang. I know someone on this site has the Aaron Boone collection in their signature, so that is one I'll never see. I keep an eye out though and for the right price, I'll complete more sets given the chance.

Mulholland 1-1 7th gold.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Follow up on the Guerrero from yesterday, like anyone cares, but the seller did describe the damage and I won it for $4 and change. I think I can accept that.

Today brought a lot of cheap autos from a seller, but the only one I felt warranted sharing was this Edwin Jackson /10. I stole this for less than $2 bid price, it might have even been just a buck. Love those deals.E Jackson 10.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another blanket of Daubert...oops! Daubert 1.jpg

This is a tiny stretch for Dodger mail day, but he was a Dodger and his certified autoc ards seem somewhat limited. Was happy to land this one. Rocky Colavito. Colavito.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts