Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Love the blankets! I have all the Yankees but one, which is apparently pretty rare. I need the Frank Chance yellow infield. Do you have Casey Stengel for your Dodgers collection yet?

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Love the blankets! I have all the Yankees but one, which is apparently pretty rare. I need the Frank Chance yellow infield. Do you have Casey Stengel for your Dodgers collection yet?
I do not. I have never really chased them, but I seem to have a bgunch of Daubert. I may have 2-3 more in fact!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not much today to show off. Not really showing these when I get them, because they SUCK...but did get this /4 so why not on an otherwise naked mail day. s-l500.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A win for the good guy (me, of course!). Not that all other Garvey buyers are bad, but they kind of are when they beat me out.

I won this Panini Garvey Au/10 and really didn't put much effort into it. I bid and put in a moderate snipe bid. I ended up winning it for $21 and change + s/h. I didn't even notice until I went to re-sleeve it that it was #6/10, a jersey number bonus! I wondered if I had just missed it, but the seller never showed the back or mentioned the specific serial number. One of my better 6 Garvey wins. There was a day when I would have messaged the seller, asking for the serial number. I have lost enough of them and at higher than acceptable premiums, that I don't hardly even care anymore. I will try for them and enjoy winning one now and again, but overpaying for them is a thing of the past for me unless it is so special for some reason that I make an exception. s-l1600.jpg

Then I got this Clearly card. I may have already had the green, can't remember. This is a fun set and wish I could have won the 1/1 and /5 that showed up early on. I'd like to complete the run of them, but they were especially popular among the weird overpaying Garvey crazies who showed up in the last year+. Again, reason needs to remain strong, and it did for me. I did make the winner of the 1/1 pay dearly, well over the normal Garvey 1/1 price and still lost, so hopefully they enjoy that card. I don't think a profit is possible, likely a loss when it comes time to sell (if that happens in my lifespan). Garvey 99 Green.jpg

I recently lost an Archive card of Steve Finley on the Dodgers for a higher than expected end price and I can't remember if I have a Dodger card signed by him, at least certified. I decided to "overpay" for this one, /10. It wasn't crazy, but $30 for a Steve Finley auto does seem high. Finley 10.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My first Chrome Garvey Au. This is one that is wildly popular apparently, consistently selling for more than a basic Garvey auto should. I had patience and won one at a decent price finally. Garvey Chrome.jpg. Zach /25. Zach 25.jpg

Lastly, a lot of MSA discs with the Carousel Snack Bar stamps on back, from Memorial Mall in Sheboygan, WI! I was not sure if I had this Garvey already, but since there were 3 in the lot, I decided to buy it anyways. A few were stained, including Schmidt, but a Perez, Munson and some other guys (23 total) to go with the Garvs. Decent find for opening price of $10.Carousel.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
What is wrong with me? I went out and bought ANOTHER Herman cut. I needed this like a new hole in my head, but it was a good price, so there you have it. Herman.png

LoDuca archives /14. like the T206 simple design and color. LoDuca 14.jpg

A rare unsigned card, this was another great design for Leaf in the heyday. Piazza. Piazza.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Garvey /20. Garv 20.jpg. Newcombe /99. Newcombe.jpg

This is weird, but awesome at the same time. It's a small kid's shorts, but they were part of the Dodgers Pepsi Fan Club. I think it was from the year Cey was the Dodger spokesman, but I'll have to look over the applications again. Sometimes it was a pair of sweat bands, a ring, shirt, shorts, etc. The membership cards, applications, newspaper ads and such still pop up here and there, but I rarely see the apparel.

Pepsi Shorts.jpg

My clean up hitter today is a huge land for me. I neglected finding a better one because I had one to check the box with (a VHS box signed), but was never 100% confident in the authenticity. Then he had a bunch of cards, but they were either too pricey and low numbered and/or I missed them. Upon his recent death, the prices went nuts, well outside what I ever consider reasonable, so I figured I had no shot unless I waited it out for a while.

I paid a lot more than I would have liked to pay for one, around $250, but nothing even close to what most people are asking. I definitely missed the boat on this one though and am paying the price now. Funny thing is, I am and always have been a bargain seeker and patient shopped. I see people talking about and spending large sums way beyond this all the time, like it was nothing! I even saw a recent FB post about an Ichiro private signing where the price was around $300/card + inscriptions were something like another $125-150! I got my pack pulled Ichiro auto for less than the cost of an inscription!

Glad to have it, although a custom card in the 1978 Topps design a card blogger made and had signed TTM would be much more preferred from an aesthetic point of view. The major draw to this card is now having a pack pulled, manufacturer certified autograph though, which is a big value add. I can see this one holding value pretty well, although I don't think his signature was very scarce and he lived a long life.

Vin Scully, the historic voice of the Dodgers! This one is /35. Scully 35.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I seem to pick up a few here and there because his price has fallen so cheap now. This is /15 and I paid about $6. I need all those suckers who way overpaid for the 86T Retro design to sell theirs now. Still need red and gold. I knew it would happen... s-l1600-2.jpg

Was hoping to add Oliver as a typer card, but could never find one at a price I liked and Fernando came along. A Dodger is always a nice type card. These are often referred to as the head in a box. The regular Topps cards had the insert picture in the box too, but the players head was not contained within the border like this card does. These are also always blank backed, I believe.s-l1600-1.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just back from a trip to the Big Easy. This covers 5 days worth of mail.

finally completed the trifecta of Heritage Garvey autos. I hated fighting for the relic and red versions, because I feel that they both went way higher than they should have, despite their popularity. Now at least I have all of them and can forget about chasing more.
Garvey Red.jpg

Added the first Baker/Garvey combo card. The rest have gone too high, as with many newer Garvey autos. Mark my words, people are going to regret paying what they did for these "hot new Garvey cards". s-l1600.jpg

Also added these dupes, one being /10 and the other /150. Garvey 10.jpggarvey 150.jpg

Maybe this guy will do something more. I was intrigued by the hat hole and it's /5, so I chased it. Unique if nothing else. Jackson 5.jpg

Another Baker. Baker Fleer.jpg

Steve Finley, /35 Finley.jpg

Lo Duca /25. Loduca 25.jpg

Sutton /25. Sutton 25.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Meet the Dodgers lot of 6. I still need to gather all of these up and see how many I have/need for each year they were issued. Meet Dodgers lOT.jpg

Garvey jersey number Leaf card. Not nearly as excited for a 6/xx than I used to be, especially with this garbage Leaf spews out. In all fairness, I guess or hope that it is as good as you can get w/o a license. s-l1600.jpg

My only Dodger auto today is a Yankee! TJ. His signature is looking a bit shaky. He is 79 now. T John pURPLE.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
First Dodger archive card of the season, Pedro Guerrero base. Guerrero.png

Chris Taylor. C Taylor.jpg

These bronze /50, often mistaken as gold (which are /5) parallels are kind of tough finds these days and ever were when these were new. Yeager TT 50.jpg

Final item is a cool 78 ASG poster from 7-11 with Garvey and some other stars. 78 ASG Poster.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The Heritage Garv is a nice card.

The 2nd 2022 Archives true Dodger, Konerko. I think that just leaves Beltre and maybe some of the SP higher end cards, so that is probably it for me this year.s-l500.png

BucCollector

Apr 25, 2012
I haven't seen the Memorial Mall on a MSA Carousel back before, and I've catalogued more than 40 variations. Could you share a picture of the back of one of them?

Members online