Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My One Year Collecting Anniversary! Pics Included!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricTownsend88

Jun 13, 2014
A little background on myself. When I was a kid baseball cards were everything to me. It's what I wanted for birthdays, Christmases, good report cards you name it. I spent all my allowance on baseball cards when my friends were out spending theirs on super nintendo and sega genesis games. And when I got older and my buddies would "reading" the sports illustrated swim suit issue I would be reading my Beckett. I started subscribing to Beckett when I was 12 and read the dang thing cover to cover until the next one came out 30 days later. I had all the prices memorized. I couldn't memorize my spelling words in 2nd grade but I could damn sure tell you how much a 1990 Topps Frank Thomas rookie was worth. I am a huge baseball fan who happened to be lucky enough to grow up in the right time period. Oh yes the 90's! Being a Cleveland Indians fan was fun back then and that was the golden era of baseball cards (especially for those gorgeous inserts.) In my teens I would fantasize about what my collection would look like in the future when I got a good job and hand (in my teenage mind) boat loads of money coming in each week. Well fast forward a few years from the magical mid to late 90s era of baseball cards. My favorite company - Donruss stopped making cards after 98, in 2000 my favorite player & the guy that got me into collecting baseball cards - Albert Belle - was forced to retire...and I just started to discover girls and got myself a highschool sweetheart puppy dog love thing going on. Those three things in a short time period put my card collecting on the back burner. I bought packs here and there, maybe once a year I would buy a box when Donruss started to make cards again, but a hobby that as a kid I devoted 100% of my time, money, energy and love into was an afterthought. I had a pretty decent collection I guess but everything was locked away in the closet collecting dust.

I won't get into this next part too much but in 2005 I got into a bad accident and long story short would have nine surgeries in a three and a half year period. You can probably guess whats coming next right...after 9 surgeries in such a short time period and being prescribed bottle after bottle after bottle after bottle of pain killers for years....I became a full on drug addict. When doctors declared me "healed" and back to 100% physically I would go to the street to get my fix. After being on this mess for years my tolerance was really high and when I was at my worst I was spending at least $100 bucks a day on the sickness that took over my life. When I couldn't find pain killers with fear of withdrawal in my mind I would purchase whatever I could get my hands on. Prior to 2005 I was a 19 year old kid with my whole life ahead of me and I had been working & saving money since I was 14. My grandmother passed a few months after my first surgery and left all of her grandkids about $4k in bonds a piece. Between the money she left me & the money I saved from working at one point as a young man I had over $10k in the bank. A few years later in my early/mid 20's I was a shell of a person, full on drug addict. I felt sorry for myself and condoned my use in my head. I thought hey its not like I woke up one day and said I'm bored today screw it I'm gonna be a drug addict! I had 9 surgeries...I had doctors giving me 90 pills a month for three years straight. When I was at the lowest point in my life, when I was just absolutely sick of living this double life, it was early 2012. I'd been on this poison for 7 years straight now. The $10k I had in the bank had been long gone, I was working 60 hours a week just to feed my addiction and those amazing baseball cards I had as a kid were long gone as well. Sold my whole collection, hell my whole childhood to a local card shop owner for somewhere in the $1200-$1500 range which at my worst was maybe 10 days of using. In 2012 I made a pact to myself - get help or give up. I wasn't going to live this life anymore. I was going to get clean and get my life together & if I couldn't I was going to "check out." Very long story short here but I got saved, gave my life to Christ and with the help from the big man upstairs in 2012 I kicked my addiction.

I noticed Topps came out with Albert Belle cards again (the whole "game used" thing was pretty much new to me as well!) and I would buy some Albert Belle memorabilia cards here and there, every once in awhile I'd stop at a LCS and pick up some Indians base that other people pulled for cheap. But it wasn't until May of 2014 when I really channelled my inner kid and started collecting cards again. I made a deal with myself, it had now been over 2 years since I got clean, I was going to treat myself! I started working for the State of Delaware and was making very good money (like I had imagined as a kid) but I did not have the bomb ass collection I always day dreamed about. I looked at my bank account, and its crazy when you don't spend every dime you have on drugs and you save your money...it stacks up nicely! I had a decent amount in the bank and I was gonna treat myself. I gave myself a budget. I'd spend the $1200 or so I sold my collection for years ago and that would give me a nice start to building a new collection (re-starting my collection at age 27 now LOL.) So - sometime at the end of last May I started to collect again. I spent the $1200 on all Albert Belle & Cleveland Indians cards I found on eBay, an '89 UD Griffey RC and three or so boxes of wax at the LCS. I was off to a good start...but then I started to think about those sweet insets of the 90s. I couldn't stop at $1200 - I was in love with this hobby again! So for the past year, I have been putting 10-15% of my check away for my first love - and a hobby I certainly do not feel bad about spending money on after the battle I had with addiction.

I hit my one year anniversary a week or so ago & wanted to share my pickups with you guys and gals! Hopefully I can come back this time next year with a 2 year anniversary thread and show off some nice pieces I added to my collection. Now this isn't the greatest collection but keep in mind I'm still a "newbie" and this is year one. I am so excited to keep building onto it!!!

Some Griffey's....

MC1.jpgMC2.jpgMC3.jpgMC4.jpgMC34.jpg

The Big Hurt...
MC7.jpgMC8.jpgMC9.jpgMC35.jpg

Ripken, Bonds & Maddux
MC5.jpgMC6.jpgMC10.jpgMC11.jpgMC12.jpg

Piazza, Gwynn, A-Rod
MC13.jpgMC14.jpgMC15.jpgMC16.jpg

A Few Of My All-Time Favorite Insert
MC17.jpgWC18.jpgMC19.jpgMC20.jpg

Some Oldies But Goodies
MC22.jpgMC23.jpgMC24.jpg

To Ben Continued......

EricTownsend88

Jun 13, 2014
Some Rookies, Randy's & Randoms
MC25.jpgMC27.jpgMC28.jpgMC21.jpg

And the MAIN EVENT of the evening...what you've all been waiting for!!!
My Favorite Baseball Player of All-Time...

MC30.jpgMC31.jpgMC32.jpgMC33.jpgMC29.jpg

So those are the highlights from my first year as a "born again collector"
I have a long way to go but right now this is where my colleciton stands...

7,000-8,000 Albert Belle
2,000-2,500 Frank Thomas
1,500-2,000 Ken Griffey Jr.
1,200-1,500 Juan Gonzalez
1,000+ Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Kenny Lofton, Roberto Alomar
800-1,000 Greg Maddux

About 2,000-2,500 "Premium" Inserts I have in screw downs or snaps
200-250 "Premium" Rookie Cards ($15-$20 or more...need a lot of work here)
750+ Cleveland Indians game used & auto cards
85 Graded Cards (just started buying these)
36 1998 Donruss/Leaf Crusades

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post...I've had a lot of fun collecting in the past year!!!
:p

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Congrats on getting back on track. And great job finding your inner child again. Some of those cards are sweet and makes me want to go grab a few ! Keep it up

Ryan

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Great story and good luck. Recovery is a lifelong thing and it looks like you have the right mindset and I wish you well! Great collection you have started!

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
On a serious note I'm very happy on you're recovery. I was in prison with many guys who had similar stories and it is never easy to hear because I could have easily been in the same situation. Its another reason I hate those who are so harsh to judge, its so quick and easy to fall into that. Stay strong and God bless

EricTownsend88

Jun 13, 2014
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for your kind words.

To the poster that pointed out this is a life long battle....that couldn't be more true. The thoughts will be there every day for the rest of my life. What else is actually cool about this hobby we love - collecting keeps my mind busy - very busy which is a major plus is staying sober. I have all my screw downs and snap cases in about half a dozen boxes (I consider these my top cards) and then the rest go in books sorted by player. There's a mail day I get a batch of Frank Thomas cards in and have to decide which are worthy of a one touch screw down into the boxes and which cards go in the Thomas book. I then start the book with the best cards that didn't make it into the box. For Thomas these are usually $10-$12 inserts and refractors and such going right down to commons towards the end of a book. Every day pretty much is a mail day for me so I spend a lot of time each night organizing my collection.

When my Albert Belle cards come in the mail, forget about it. I take my Belle books VERY SERIOUSLY and can spend 30 minutes deciding where to put one single card. I know how "nerdy" it sounds but on rough days its good for my mind to stay occupied so the thought of temptation doesn't sink in. I spent three or four hours organizing the Belle & Indians part of my collection a few nights ago. My sister thought I was crazy but I love it and not once did the thought of temptation creep in, just the cards. There are nights where I come up with an excuse to bring out my books or boxes and sort through them just because its fun to me.

Thank you again everyone for the kind words...really means a lot to me!!!

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I hate those who are so harsh to judge, its so quick and easy to fall into that. Stay strong and God bless

True for you T_C and I couldn't agree with you more other than the hate part. Hate is wasted emotion. Feel compassion and sympathy for those that harshly judge.

Mathew 7:1 tells us Do not judge so that you will not be judged

Addiction is real people. I felt Josh Hamilton was unjustly attacked in his last relapse and I hope that was his last

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Thank you for sharing! Everyone is born with a God sized hole in their hearts. We all try to initially fill it with stuff, but are never satisfied, because the only thing that can truly fill the God hole is ... God! While many just cover it up, and feed it, it *can* take a huge thing (like your addiction) to truly understand that nothing in this world can do it except for Jesus. Very cool that you found that out!

If you are like many, (those formerly addicted to drugs or ... anything really!) there is a chance of relapse. If there is, just remember what Jesus has done for us, and do not be slow to talk with a brother! We all need help sometime.

Anyway, congratulations my friend - you have a great collection, and a much greater story. You have conquered something in very impressive fashion!

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Welcome to the boards. Congratulations on the many hurdles you have overcome and I love the cards. Keep on sharing!

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Congrats on turning your life around and you have a great collection going already. Hope to see you around this board more often, maybe come back and update this thread as you get new stuff.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Congrats on turning things around. That's awesome. Great card collection, keep it up. Welcome to the board. I collect Thome cards and there are one or 2 Belle collectors on here. Have fun.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Are those numbers legit? If so...damn!

In any case, congrats on all fronts! But careful...cards be way too addicting too!

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I am so happy for you deciding to get your life together. I grew up in NYC with drug addicts in the family and I'm still dealing with putting those memories behind me. Congrats on the collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts