Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My opinion of Willie Mays has changed.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
fkw said:
Willie Mays is Willie Mays. He was Great and he knew it! Same with his godson.

They were cocky baseball players so what makes you think they wont be cocky off the field too?

I met him 3 times back in 80's and he was nice to me. I judge him for that alone.

You guys judge a former baseball player by the way he treated you in the 30 seconds you stood in front of him at some lame card show. uh OK

Most of you are trying to cash in on him in some way or another. And if you dont get your way, your upset. uh OK

Uh OK?

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I know this sounds morbid, but Mays, McCovey, and Musial are starting to look like death. They can act like they want to nowadays long has they sign my item nicely when I pay.

I have two bad experiences with Mays and around 5 with Aaron but I will save the stories for another day.

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
Yeah, but at least he has a good reason to be a cocky ass-hole!

And there are a lot of cocky ass-holes on FCB, too. The only difference between them and Willie is that they're 35-year-olds living in their parent's basement.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
fkw said:

They were cocky baseball players so what makes you think they wont be cocky off the field too?

I met him 3 times back in 80's and he was nice to me. I judge him for that alone.

You guys judge a former baseball player by the way he treated you in the 30 seconds you stood in front of him at some lame card show. uh OK

Most of you are trying to cash in on him in some way or another. And if you dont get your way, your upset. uh OK

Next time you try to make a point, try not to sound like a 13 year old girl.
uh, OK?

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Jastermereel said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":3ki7b2y4]There was a thread not so long ago about how he charges like $75+ for autographs when he does signings. That alone says a lot about his character in my opinion.

lol $75, maybe 15 years ago. Try $300+.

That sounds more like it. Why charge so much if you're really trying to make anyone happy? Real dick move there. I don't care who you are, writing your name on a piece of paper is not enough work to warrant $300 of pay.[/quote:3ki7b2y4]
Believe it or not, baseball players didn't always make millions of dollars each year. He's doing it for the money, which makes charging a lot very reasonable.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Why are people really upset that he charges 300 for an auto? Because that doesn't allow you to sell that item for a profit? If you don't like how much he charges then don't get an auto. Why are you so pissed at how much he's charging?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
sdsportsfan1214 said:
fkw said:

Uh OK?

Uh OK

for the record, I agree with FKW 100%

People who think a guy is an ass based on an interaction involving an autograph are really off base.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
kdailey4315 said:
Why are people really upset that he charges 300 for an auto? Because that doesn't allow you to sell that item for a profit? If you don't like how much he charges then don't get an auto. Why are you so pissed at how much he's charging?

People are upset at what he charges because he ***** up the item, many believe on purpose, and is an ******* while he is doing it.
If Im paying 300.00 for an auto, I dont want to hear him complain about where I want the item signed.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Also he does not charge 300 for an auto. The show charges that. Who knows how much he is actually taking home per.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
only on card board message board would people not understand wanting something signed correctly..... :?

Bottom line Mays is a jerk. One quick story, Mays does some sort of promotional work for a retirement home insurance business. I got word that he was doing a brief speech and attending a dinner at a retirement home in Mobile. It was 25.00 to attend. Before the dinner, I asked one of the helpers if Mays would be signing at all and they said that was addressed with Mays beforehand and that he said no.. However, she encouraged me to take this ticket card and stick around afterwards. After the dinner, an annnouncer said that if you had a ticket that Mays would sign one item for you and to lineup. After waiting for about twenty minutes, we were informed that we would be giving our item to be signed in exhange for a 25.00 donation. We gave our item to a handler, it was taken in a room and apprantly signed by Willie Mays in blue sharpie. If your going to ask me for a donation, atleast let me meet you and hand the item to you.

Hank Aaron is somewhat racist. You ain't getting him nowadays for free unless your a woman getting a hotdog wrapper signed or black.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
I have actually met him a few times over the past few years at signings and each and every time he was VERY nice, polite and always asked me where I wanted him to sign and what type of pen/sharpie to use.He was Never grumpy or mean or anything like you hear. Never once had a problem with him, even with a card that I had that was already signed by Banks,Cepeda,Frank Robinson and Aaron, he was very careful not to sign over any of the other names, it was always a pleasure meeting him.

Dan

RGBII

Mar 1, 2009
Landover, Maryland
A 79 year old man (Hall of Famer) is being openly attacked
on a "cardboard forum."

He is commomly known as "one of, if not, the greatest" center
fielders of all time. Well. I guess that and $1.59 will buy you a
cup of coffee.

He was born in Mobile, Alabama in 1931. I can not imagine
what he went through growing up in that vile and vicious
place at that time for a black man.

I'm a Georgia boy myself, so I'M QUITE SURE that I have
the background and 48 years of knowledge on when to
call a redneck(s) out.

He is an old man coming to the end of a remarkable life.
He has overcome many hurdles that you or I will never
conceive.

. . . and yet, we have this tripe!

I need a shower at this point.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
RGBII said:
on a "cardboard forum."

feilders of all time. Well. I guess that and $1.59 will buy you a
cup of coffee.

call a redneck(s) out.

conceive.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

None of that matters. That ******* charges 300 dollars and won't sign my ball where I want him to to maximize the profit I can make on him. Not to mention the 45 second interaction I have with him is clearly an indication of his demeanor as a whole.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
kdailey4315 said:
RGBII said:
on a "cardboard forum."

cup of coffee.

call a redneck(s) out.

conceive.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

None of that matters. That ******* charges 300 dollars and won't sign my ball where I want him to to maximize the profit I can make on him. Not to mention the 45 second interaction I have with him is clearly an indication of his demeanor as a whole.

I think its pretty much a fact that Mays is an ******* when you see a Giants fan calling him out :lol:

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
sdsportsfan1214 said:
I think its pretty much a fact that Mays is an ******* when you see a Giants fan calling him out :lol:

Oh shat, my bad. I forgot the internet forum sarcasm squiggly lines. :D

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
RGBII said:
on a "cardboard forum."

cup of coffee.

what he went through going up in that vile and vicious

call a redneck(s) out.

conceive.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII
I've never met the man nor care who he is. But what the hell are you talking about? Has anyone said anything racist towards him? No. Just people giving opinions based on personal experiences they've had with him. Being a HOFer means nothing. People are supposed to accept the man and his behavior because he was, in my opinion, the greatest MLB player of all time? No. I realize he and other black players of his era went through ****, but that doesn't give him a free pass to treat others like ****. You want to be respected? Rise above the hate and treat people as you want to be treated.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
RGBII said:
on a "cardboard forum."

cup of coffee.

call a redneck(s) out.

conceive.

Collect Hard!,
RGBII

Before the shower, could you express your opinion in the form of a Haiku? I like your style.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
KandKCards said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Jastermereel said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":r0t7kgus]There was a thread not so long ago about how he charges like $75+ for autographs when he does signings. That alone says a lot about his character in my opinion.

lol $75, maybe 15 years ago. Try $300+.

That sounds more like it. Why charge so much if you're really trying to make anyone happy? Real dick move there. I don't care who you are, writing your name on a piece of paper is not enough work to warrant $300 of pay.
Believe it or not, baseball players didn't always make millions of dollars each year. He's doing it for the money, which makes charging a lot very reasonable.[/quote:r0t7kgus]

I understand that but $300 is absurd. He would probably make more money charging $50 anyway because 10 times more people would be able to afford it.

Members online

Latest posts