Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Odd eBay request?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Sold an item of a decent value and with payment I was sent a note to include the auction number on the OUTSIDE of the package so he can keep them organized while opening them... This seem like an odd bad idea to anyone else?

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Not that odd, several large buyers do that because they buy multiples at the same time. I just write it in small numbers by one of the margins, then maybe also include the item number inside as well.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
so you are ok with someone in transit looking up the number and potentially finding out what it is? I guess I have just never heard this one before

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
It does seem like a bad idea to me, especially if it was a high dollar item. But I don't sell that much on EBAY, and the member above makes a good point. I do see why it would seem like a bad idea though, I get your concerns.

sbfinley

Mar 23, 2011
I wouldn't do it specifically for the reasons you mentioned. I'd email the seller and state that while the request seems reasonable, you are uncomfortable doing so. Offer to put the number "21" or the phrase "bologna sandwich" somewhere on the mailer. That's a lot easier him to decipher than looking up the auction number.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
eBay labels automatically put the item number on the label.

labelimage-1.jpg

The number on the right side running up and down is the eBay number. It prints by default.

Last edited:

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
Looking at a few envelopes that I've received in the last week or so, 2 of them have it, and 2 don't. Not sure if it's an option, or something like that, maybe??

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
eBay labels automatically put the item number on the label.

labelimage-1.jpg

The number on the right side running up and down is the eBay number. It prints by default.

Yup, the item number has been on every single package I've sent for over a year now. Nothing has ever happened to any of them. There is a checkbox option to not include it before you print the label though.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't do it specifically for the reasons you mentioned. I'd email the seller and state that while the request seems reasonable, you are uncomfortable doing so. Offer to put the number "21" or the phrase "bologna sandwich" somewhere on the mailer. That's a lot easier him to decipher than looking up the auction number.

I LOVE "bologna sandwiches" : )

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I always try to cut off the top of the label where the USPS and ebay logos appear.

I actually do this now too. Just gives me a peace of mind sending all the packages out.

To the OP, I have had that request before as well. Might be the same buyer. I simply mailed out the package without doing it and never heard anything. Although I didn't realize the ebay # was already on the label. So they probably used that.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I thought the default was that it does not include the item number.
There is a box for it at the bottom of the shipping page........in the area that asks if you would like to display the shipping cost on the label.

I'm pretty sure I had to manually change it - I had to check the box to display the item number, because the default was to not include it. After reading this thread though, sounds like that may have not been the best idea.

Members online

Latest posts