Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
welcome !! i see you found it !!

Yes I found it! :) Kind of like this site! Might stick around a bit!

A newer variation... 2014 Gypsy Queen... it appears every card in the set has two different color borders on front. One is a darker and one is lighter. Anyone else notice this? Worthy of listing as a variation? I know this is just for "junk wax" but just wanted to mention it since many retired players are in the set from that era.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country

A newer variation... 2014 Gypsy Queen... it appears every card in the set has two different color borders on front. One is a darker and one is lighter. Anyone else notice this? Worthy of listing as a variation? I know this is just for "junk wax" but just wanted to mention it since many retired players are in the set from that era.

i dont really think it's just for junk-wax era material ON PURPOSE ...just that there are SOOOOOOOOOO many variations in so much of the product from those years....now the print run is so much smaller there's practically no opportunity to get two , three , or more versions of a card before the presses are shut down and the plates packed out .....

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Retail / Hobby I believe ...???

Ryan

Jan 14, 2009
1989 Fleer Update Mike Schmidt Special Variation, see COMC:
http://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/1989/Fleer_Update/U-131/Mike_Schmidt/1951923

And ebay auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-FLEER-UPDATE-U-131-MIKE-SCHMIDT-TRIBUTE-UNIQUE-ERROR-VARIATION-PAIR-/251786176965?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a9fa029c5

The comma in the bottom right touches or does not touch the border. The rest of the black ink appears to be ok. Don't think either is worth anything, but a true variation for Schmidt Collectors!

Yes, the Schmidt is a legitimate design change by Fleer. The Kelly card is a very common print flaw in 1989 Fleer (and most other junk era cards). I have given out dozens of these multi-dot across the front misprints to hardcore 1989 Fleer collectors and I can say they hit several subjects (possibly all) in the 1989 Fleer set.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for the info. I assumed the dot errors were common - the price tag on this one got me thinking though.

Yes, the Schmidt is a legitimate design change by Fleer. The Kelly card is a very common print flaw in 1989 Fleer (and most other junk era cards). I have given out dozens of these multi-dot across the front misprints to hardcore 1989 Fleer collectors and I can say they hit several subjects (possibly all) in the 1989 Fleer set.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Here's another variation from the same update set.

Card can be found with or without that symbol under "pitcher"

Attachments

• 1421782783230.jpg
    1421782783230.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 19

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Here's an '86 Rose with a tattoo and nipple ring.

I have several of them with exact yellow spots1421785807077.jpg

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
I am trying to make a list of whatever I can find, so thanks for adding these. However, should we make a new thread for card specific variations (which I think there already is one), or do we list them here. I see this thread is for more set wide variations.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
A few not widely known ones.

2002 bowman draft has two corrected errors, Brett Meyers and drew Henson.

Back of Brett's card has "Meyers" or "Myers" while back of Drew's card has "3B" or "of"

Same year Prospect Premieres has a very interesting variation.

The card of Matt Pender pictures Granderson and was corrected ONLY if the collector sent in the error card to upper deck. Corrected card was never inserted into packs.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
a quick update on this "variation"....

you can add the studio set from either 1992 or 1993 - though i'd have to go get a box out to confirm which - to the list of sets that SHOULD have the watermark on back.....

so far i've only looked thorugh about 1000 cards from the sets that SHOULD have the watermark on them so i still have many many more to dig through , but i can report that of roughly 1000 cards checked out , i am now up to THREE without the watermark...don't have them here on my desk at the moment but when i can put my hands on them i'll come back and let everyone know who they are....

In sorting through a monster box of 90's cards to catalogue on Zistle recently, I noticed a minor variation among 1997 Topps base cards. They have gloss on the front over just the picture, not on the borders or player name. Some cards I've found have the gloss misplaced on the card front, partially over the name or otherwise out of whack.

Likely a worthless variation like the "no foil" cards but I thought it'd add it anyways.

Looks like you guys gave me something to do after work tonight! :)

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Does anyone have clear examples of these variations? I just can't see it...

Fleer All-Stars: text cropping variations on back
Fleer Baseball MVP's: Thick black line/bar at top of photo/border

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Another one... forgot about this until searching 1987's... found these in a dime box a while back - not sure if the entire set is this way:

Found Will Clark and Ruben Sierra in the 1987 Toys R Us set, each with glossy fronts and non-glossy fronts. Not sure if this is a error, or variation, but worthy of listing in case anyone has a bunch

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
ANother one that sparked my interest, seen on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARK-GRACE-...1075316411?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item58b9dbdebb

At first I noticed the Grace in this auction as well as the Rickey Henderson in another lot of his was the factory set variation, since it has the different border pattern. But then he is stating the back has 1988 copyright. I thought all the 1988 donruss, including the factory set, has 1987 copyright. All my Bonds including the factory set have 1987. Is this maybe a LATE factory set version? Thoughts?

Jan 14, 2009
ANother one that sparked my interest, seen on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARK-GRACE-1988-DONRUSS-40-CARD-VARIATION-c1988-/381075316411?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item58b9dbdebb

At first I noticed the Grace in this auction as well as the Rickey Henderson in another lot of his was the factory set variation, since it has the different border pattern. But then he is stating the back has 1988 copyright. I thought all the 1988 donruss, including the factory set, has 1987 copyright. All my Bonds including the factory set have 1987. Is this maybe a LATE factory set version? Thoughts?

It's cut from the 1988 Donruss Team Set Folder/Book. All cards from those books have the 1988 copyright.

Members online

Latest posts