Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
In sorting through a monster box of 90's cards to catalogue on Zistle recently, I noticed a minor variation among 1997 Topps base cards. They have gloss on the front over just the picture, not on the borders or player name. Some cards I've found have the gloss misplaced on the card front, partially over the name or otherwise out of whack.

Likely a worthless variation like the "no foil" cards but I thought it'd add it anyways.

Well, all of mine are glossy center, dull border :(

a quick update on this "variation"....

you can add the studio set from either 1992 or 1993 - though i'd have to go get a box out to confirm which - to the list of sets that SHOULD have the watermark on back.....

And all my 92 Studios have the watermark. No variations found for me tonight.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Here is my Andre Dawson

scan0118.jpg

I have a collector looking for the 1988 Chef Boyardee of Dawson with 1987 Cubs stats instead of Expos stats. Does this actually exist?

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I have a collector looking for the 1988 Chef Boyardee of Dawson with 1987 Cubs stats instead of Expos stats. Does this actually exist?

I have never seen one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. This card is on my top ten wanted listed. I have the error card in singles, proofs, panels, quads, sheets and I don't have one. I actually posted this card in the cards that don't exist thread as well as the FBI disc and other members were able to show me the FBI disc but I didn't get a response on this one.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I have never seen one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. This card is on my top ten wanted listed. I have the error card in singles, proofs, panels, quads, sheets and I don't have one. I actually posted this card in the cards that don't exist thread as well as the FBI disc and other members were able to show me the FBI disc but I didn't get a response on this one.

If you don't have one, I can almost guarantee that it doesn't exist.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
I just looked on COMC and it is too hard to tell there. It appears this is the logo on the front for the non star rookies and the back for star rookies?
The front appears to be inside the green border so hard to see on COMC

Can anyone verify this variation? 1989 Upper Deck
1aAll Cards 1-100, ® Next to Team Logo
1bAll Cards 1-100,™ Next to Team Logo

Saw it here: http://www.baseballerrors.com/sets.php?Set=54

Also is the TM or registry symbol referred to on the front or back logo? Weird I never saw this before.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I just looked on COMC and it is too hard to tell there. It appears this is the logo on the front for the non star rookies and the back for star rookies?
The front appears to be inside the green border so hard to see on COMC

Pics of both variations are on this page.

http://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/mattingly-don.html

None of the subsequent years of the Cadaco Discs, 1990, 1991 and 1993 had the team or league on the back, so my assumption is that at some point they reprinted the 1989s and removed the team/league and just followed that standard in the following years.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
I don't see the 1989 Upper Deck variation on this page... am I missing something? I wasn't talking about the Cadaco discs here.

Pics of both variations are on this page.

http://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/mattingly-don.html

None of the subsequent years of the Cadaco Discs, 1990, 1991 and 1993 had the team or league on the back, so my assumption is that at some point they reprinted the 1989s and removed the team/league and just followed that standard in the following years.

Jan 14, 2009
I don't see the 1989 Upper Deck variation on this page... am I missing something? I wasn't talking about the Cadaco discs here.

These have been well documented since 1989 or 1990.

The variation refers to the symbol next to the logo on the fronts of the card. They are difficult to tell when not looking at them in person. Also, one type is harder to find but neither "rare" since UD printed these into the millions. I can't recall at the moment which one is in shorter supply but typically when I have say 40 Gregg Jefferied in hand, usually just a few will be of one variety.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Ahh ok! Makes sense. For the Star rookies, does it refer to the logos on the back since the front contains the Star Rookies logo?

These have been well documented since 1989 or 1990.

The variation refers to the symbol next to the logo on the fronts of the card. They are difficult to tell when not looking at them in person. Also, one type is harder to find but neither "rare" since UD printed these into the millions. I can't recall at the moment which one is in shorter supply but typically when I have say 40 Gregg Jefferied in hand, usually just a few will be of one variety.

Jan 14, 2009
Ahh ok! Makes sense. For the Star rookies, does it refer to the logos on the back since the front contains the Star Rookies logo?

No. It still refers to the front logo, in their case, the Star Rookies logo. The Star Rookies logo will have either a TM or an R (reg symbol) next to it.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
No. It still refers to the front logo, in their case, the Star Rookies logo. The Star Rookies logo will have either a TM or an R (reg symbol) next to it.

Thanks! I knew you'd know!

BTW, I saw on another post about a baseball variation book mark 15 or so years ago, with paper additions each year. Is this book still made? Or does someone have a copy to sell?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Here's one you rarely see.

1988 topps angels leaders card featuring wally joyner WITH a pink stripe on his arm sleeve.

More of a printing flaw but it's recurring so hard core error variation collectors Chase it.

The last one sold for $401422497325819.jpg

Latest posts