Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Panini National Treasures Autographs: Am I the only one bothered by them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
I would like to preface this that despite anything I say here, I support Panini and think they put out one hell of set this season. Like to think this is an issue they can fix in the future.

The autographs in this set...for all the money, time and effort they must have put into designing this set and getting the cards signed...did they not have anyone around to ask if the cards/pens would work properly? People are dropping ass-loads of cash on cards whose autograph are bubbled and smeared disasters. I know that I am perhaps a little too sensitive to condition/autograph quality, but I can't see why anyone would drop the kind of coin people are on autographs that are this bubbled/smeared. I would say that more than have of the Jose Abreu that I have seen are a mess, and same with most other guys. Has anyone else noticed this, or really care?

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Can you post some examples? I've seen a good amount of breaks and can onyl remember seeing one auto that looked like it might have smeared

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
I can understand your frustration with that. To me, you're asking a guy like Jose Abreu (especially in this product) to sign a TON of cards. I would assume that he wouldn't apply the same pressure from card #1 to card #500 , not knowing how autos bubble.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
I can understand your frustration with that. To me, you're asking a guy like Jose Abreu (especially in this product) to sign a TON of cards. I would assume that he wouldn't apply the same pressure from card #1 to card #500 , not knowing how autos bubble.

True. I think it just might be the cardstock that they used, and did not think to prep it...kind of like you have to do with Topps cards that you are going to get signed that are not Ginter/Heritage.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I'm more annoyed with all the acetate autos.

They look like crap.

That is incorrect!

Kidding, you're entitled to that opinion but I like them. That said, let's be honest, the acetates are merely fancy "sticker autos" but in this fashion far more acceptable

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I love this product, don't think you can blame a couple of bad autos that were probably caused by the players on the company. Also, I love the acetate autos.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I have no idea what you guys are looking at...They both look fine to me

use the ebay magnification of the item photo to zoom in on the auto. You can definitely see some breaks in a stroke on both and in the first one even slight smudging.

I'm impressed they aren't occurring on the acetate autos but rather on the normal stock that you think would not be having those issues. I would have thought acetate would be the problematic ones.

and I concur with the sentiments of OP - these are the kinds of autos I would be very likely to pass instead of bid unless there was something else about the card that would be more desirable than the auto (such as if there was a really cool or recognizable part of a patch instead of the standard jersey swatch or the swatch had a very minor sliver of patch that you could easily find other copies of that degree of relic with better autographs on the card).

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
I love this product, don't think you can blame a couple of bad autos that were probably caused by the players on the company. Also, I love the acetate autos.

I think it's more than a couple, and that kind of autos don't come from anything that a player does...this is the kind of bubbling you get when you don't prep a card.

Here is another. The smearing in the "Doc" might have been from the player stacking, but the messed up "Halladay" is from the glossy stock not taking the autograph. Again, a shame, since like you I do love this set.

Members online

Latest posts