Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pedroia out of ASG, Carlos Pena in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Huffamaniac said:
Jayson Werth was a questionable selection. I would take Kemp and a few others over him. Zobrist can play 2nd

markakis8 said:
How the heck was Charile playing favorites and Maddon not by taking Pena? Pena is the WORST replacement player for Pedroia he could've taken.

Miguel Cabrera (how this guy is STILL not on the AS team or at least recognized is beyond me)
Adam Lind
Russell Branyan
Luke Scott
Juan Rivera
Paul Konerko
Ian Kinsler
Robinson Cano
Scott Rolen
Chone Figgins
Nick Markakis

Anyone of those would've been a COMPLETELY better choice than a buy batting .230 with 111 strikeouts. I don't care if he is leading the AL in HR. There were just sooooo many better choices than Carlos Pena - he wasn't even the best or second best 1B option! Pena is a watered-down Ryan Howard.

This was definitely a case of playing favorites. And the only argument you have for Charlie playing favorites is Ryan Howard.

Huffamaniac said:
Maddon could have easily selected Howell or Garza over wakefield and opted not to.

Charlie Manuel he for sure played favorites but the old man does not care.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
ahill1 said:
LLWesMan said:
HOW AM I THE FIRST TO SAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PABLO!!!!

Wrong league there ;)

Come on that was obvious sarcasm...

Obviously it was....I know some people on here are so high on him they think he should be on either team...Kind of like the old days on BMB with all those lame jokes about Laporta

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
cowboysrule48 said:
Seriously. People saying that Kinsler deserves the spot over Carlos needs to look at some stats beyond batting average.

I always get a good laugh out of the morons who use batting average as a reason against Carlos or any other hitter. The only thing worse is using wins or saves to evaluate a pitcher. Pena is leading the AL in walks.

Pena's obp is .364. Kinsler's is .327.

It's cool if people don't think he belongs but using his batting average as a reason only shows that those people have no clue.

Fire360

Aug 13, 2008
US
andyduke86 said:
cowboysrule48 said:
Seriously. People saying that Kinsler deserves the spot over Carlos needs to look at some stats beyond batting average.

I always get a good laugh out of the morons who use batting average as a reason against Carlos or any other hitter. The only thing worse is using wins or saves to evaluate a pitcher. Pena is leading the AL in walks.

It's cool if people don't think he belongs but using his batting average as a reason only shows that those people have no clue.

He's sitting nicely in 2nd place in the AL with 111 strikeouts.

Not too shabby.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Fire360 said:
andyduke86 said:
cowboysrule48 said:

Not too shabby.

What is that supposed to mean? It's no secret he swings and misses...alot. An out is an out. He gets on base at a well above average rate.

Fire360

Aug 13, 2008
US
andyduke86 said:
Fire360 said:
andyduke86 said:
cowboysrule48 said:

Not too shabby.

What is that supposed to mean? It's no secret he swings and misses...alot. An out is an out. He gets on base at a well above average rate.

It means I don't think he should be an All-Star.

I would have gladly accepted an Adam Lind or Miguel Cabrera.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
andyduke86 said:
cowboysrule48 said:

It looks to me like A-Rod was more deserving then Pena if you compare there stats for the season, and A-rod has blayed 30 less games.

A-Rod - 56 games
Pena - 86 games

A-Rod - 47 Walks
Pena - 58 walks

A-Rod walks every 5.2 plate appearances
Pena walks every 6.4 plate appearances

A-Rod -AVG .257
Pena - AVG .233

A-Rod - SLG .529
Pena - SLG .538

A-Rod - OBP .414
Pena - OBP .367

A-Rod - OPS .943
Pena - OPS .776

One odd thing I found, both players have the same amount of walks as they do RBI's.

I do not see why A-Rod wasn't even considered to be in the ASG if someone dropped out/final vote.

A-rod Has been the first half MVP as far as i'm concerned. The Yankees were 13-15 when he was on the DL. Since he has returned, the Yankees are 38-19. I think that going by the deffiniton of MVP, and not just by looking at how good somones individual stats are, A-Rod has been the Most VALUABLE Player. When A-Rod came back the team got going, without him, they would likely be in 4th place.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
While I agree that Ryan Howard is not having a great season, don't forget that millions of fans DO want to see him there. He DID finish 2nd in fan voting at 1b.

Further, he is from the ST. Louis area, going to college there, and Chollie as the WS winning manager can basically do whatever the damn well he pleases.

:)

Don't like it? Go to the WS!

Frow

ahill1 said:
LLWesMan said:
ahill1 said:
LLWesMan said:
HOW AM I THE FIRST TO SAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PABLO!!!!

Wrong league there ;)

Come on that was obvious sarcasm...

Obviously it was....I know some people on here are so high on him they think he should be on either team...Kind of like the old days on BMB with all those lame jokes about Laporta

laporta.jpg

And no...an out is not an out. Put the ball in play, get a sacrifice hit, make the defense work for it and force an error. Pena's clutch stats are amazing. .000 in the 9th inning, 20 of his 58 RBI's come with the game is greater than 4 runs, but only 3 when it's "late and close"

Members online

Latest posts