Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PSA 1 Wagner Goes For Megabuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
With the ever-rising prices on top-end cards, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I actually was. A beat-up copy that earns it's 1 grade but is still attractive in the way only a true vintage card can be. It ended at $974,895 but with a 20% buyer's premium, the final price was $1,169,875.00.

Lots of other impressive items in this auction, too. I was toying with the idea of going after the PSA 9 Spahn rookie or the PSA 8 1956 Mantle, but they ended up an order of magnitude out of my budget.

But my favorite item is probably the 1904 Pirates schedule card that I suppose was inserted into or distributed alongside the Pittsburgh Leader newspaper.
I don't think I ever really looked at an old-time schedule and it's kind of fascinating how things have changed if that schedule was typical. It shows only home games, and the Pirates were home for over 5 weeks to start the season except for a 5-day trip in the middle. Then they went on the road for almost 6 weeks straight, playing just 3 games at home in the month of June. Lots of 2-game series, including a 1-day doubleheader series with the Cards, even a couple 1-game series at the end. Traveling by train, I suppose it was a lot easier logistically to be HOME when you're home, then pack up the whole team for extended tours of the country. And it's just a beautiful item, IMHO, a great example of the nouveau-style graphic design of the era. Looks really sharp, too. I wonder why it's only a 4.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That card has essentially become a bragging rights, puffy chest type of item. Clearly, it is significant to the hobby, but the scarcity is exceeded by many other items. Deep pockets like to be able to brag that they own "THE" card. I guess if I had millions upon millions, I might do the same.

There are those items that transcend value in a traditional way. It still boggles my mind why a Roger Maris or Thurman Munson autograph is soooo much more than comparably scarce and desirable items. A Hideo Nomo certified auto #10/10 (jersey number version and very low print run) just sold this week for $1000. What the holy hell is that about? I know his autograph selection is sparse and he is very popular, but still...makes no sense to me. I think people feel they have to pay it to get one and each time people try to pay more to win one, the price drives up further. Vin Scully autographs are insane. When has anyone cared that much about an announcer? He is still alive and although his certified autos were only released relatively recently and in smaller quantities, the prices people are paying are just stupid high!

To each their own. I am to blame myself, bidding high amounts for rare Steve Garvey autographs, when a simple autograph itself is maybe $5-10 on a good day.

Members online

Latest posts