Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Recent slab pickups / grading

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Next few slabs were test runs to gauge how PSA grades certain stuff. I like learning what they look for and consider important. The Slurpee has edge issues I knew that going out. Tattoos while clean had some edge / corner issues . No biggie test runs I learned from :) I have a small amount of Boggs just back so I'll try and post more. They are part of those boxes I lugged cross country I'm going thru now

There are no Ichiro Descending on Beckett Marketplace, eBay, COMC, Amazon or elsewhere I saw as of this morning
With 56 available I don't expect there to be many anyways. Happy with the Near Mint 8 now slabbed
Edges are very rough on these Genuines.

And as someone who has busted plenty of 2002 Certified Mint 9 are fine they are DLP worst production issue of the entire decade.
They scan like crap when B&W - not sure why they look great in person.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
A few more scanned Boggs. The B-Best had a soft upper left corner and some diamond canting on reverse hurting it.
The Classic Yellow is T-B off on back but thats splitting hairs on that one I've seen 10's like it :(

The King B is a Pop 2 with just 2 higher so pleased with that one
The Juan Gone is just a re-slab was in an older holder so new lighthouse slab it is :)

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
More recent slabs. [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] would appreciate of course being a fellow 90's Finest Refractor guy :)
The two others are for feeBay resale
All were part of recent box breaks months ago
The Arod is a Pop 3 teh Thomas a Pop 5

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
More slabs back for Mr Boggs from the cards I carried around for 40+ years. Was surprised at the size of the slabs involved

The Fantastic Sams versions with tab are tricky aS they were produced off center PSA did a good job on that one. Pop 2 with 2 higher
I have more so tested the waters on that one
I actually wrote an ARTICLE ON FANTASTIC SAMS about them as I came across them going thru my PC stuff. If you have additional info see me please looking to always elarn more and have more back up. We didn't have one locally until the last 90's so I have very little info on that series distribution just some basic knowledge of where/why. Would love some magazine or hobby promotion backups.

The Jiffy Pop discs came of popcorn containers. Back had issues so didn't expect much. Pop 1 with 4 higher.Tabs were a little rough also
Haven't had time to do my article on that series yet

The Holsum pleased me while its a Pop 8 lets just say people are careful what they sub when it comes to discs
Haven't had time to do my article on that series yet

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
A little vintage Fisk for ya :)

Just got access to my storage first time in about 6 months. Rescanning for insurance
Fun going thru the slabs . I'll post more in a little bit working on feebay projects sadly

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Nice Coop rookie!
That's exactly why I bought it of course Andy :cool:

Couple of new BGS slabs just back. Took 2 submissions to get the Garciaparra slabbed
First it gets rejected then I return it reminding them ALL my stuff sees regular slabs or blue slab
Finally got it fixed. The Chipper is part of a group of Chippers I'm slabbing for resale

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
For my buddy Keith [MENTION=2802]klute14[/MENTION] couple of Jim Rice rescanned a spart of my insurance project-- slabbed about 10-11 years ago or so

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Just one card back recently from the 2019 Panini Gold Label First Off The Line Box I broke a month or so ago
Missed a minor surface flaw still in search of teh elusive Gem Mint 10 on a thick card :(

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
OK some recent slabs back going to show off the Wade Boggs stuff first.

The first two were testers. I knew going out the corners were showing a touch white. The retail Jewels is always poor condition. Its common with Pacific items. Its a result of poor packaging in many cases. Wanted to see how far they'd ding me so it would show me the limits . Grades were spot on and as expected. Can still resell them just cheaply is all. I have more will try and upgrade. Love how the colors pop on it :) To me there is NO such thing as "wasting" money it all gets eventually resold. Sat on stuff years and sold it for grading fees back. Never lost a nickel subbing anything as its always taught me lessons grading and financial wise.

The 1994 Fleer AS was the worst of the bunch so if that gets a 9 pretty sure one of my others will gem
The 2007 Ultimate is as expected bought that years ago offline. NearMint 8 is normal on thicker cards so no sweat on that one

The Leather and Lumber I thought was good and had a chance at Mint glad it did :) Doubt there will be a 10 for a while. That series is poorly cut. Not sure on whether that ones gonna be PC or feebay. With 250 available sure someone may get a 10 just will be a while.

The Finest Milestones was the surprise thought it had a surface issue musta been lint glad it gemmed !!

I have a bunch more Boggs from 1988 Star but no more time today have to sleep again before work.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
This is probably a really dumb question, but what does it cost you to grade per card?
$8.25 is the normal bulk fee ($8 fee plus 25 cents declared value= covers insurance to/from) unless they run specials. These were part of the specials so $7.75 per card ($7.50 plus 25 cents). Cheapest I've sold anything the last year is $9.99 on feebay. I do a ton of offline stuff using direct PayPal invoicing so I save a lot of feebay fees and only pay the PayPal fees while being protected.

Part of bulks I run regularly. Always 1 card in a sub that will net me the to PSA postage I pay as welll ( last sub a Mariano covered that cost so net s&h to /from PSA netted to zero out of pocket expenses).

jeff

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
More Boggs back from a recent sub. The 1998 Star series is plagued by poor centering, miscuts, and surface flaws. Some decent hits pop 1 or only pop items
Some misses as well. Not bad considering they were trundled cross country 12 years ago and just thrown around in my storage

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
More slabs back still catching up folks been bery bery busy :) Sent in abunch of my ETopps raw .
No surprises the Mint 9 is normal the two Gems did make me happy :)

Sent these all in sealed. Not a bad start to the Etopps adventures

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
That's exactly why I bought it of course Andy :cool:

Couple of new BGS slabs just back. Took 2 submissions to get the Garciaparra slabbed
First it gets rejected then I return it reminding them ALL my stuff sees regular slabs or blue slab
Finally got it fixed. The Chipper is part of a group of Chippers I'm slabbing for resale

Did BGS tell you why the grader thought the Nomar Starting 9 was altered?

Thanks.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Did BGS tell you why the grader thought the Nomar Starting 9 was altered?

Thanks.

Yep- its a shortie :(
Whether it was factory cut or done by someone on purpose who knows but both PSA & BGS indicated size requirement issues so I slabbed it in an Auth/Altered label with BGS. Judging by the fact that many items from that era were poorly cut I'll never know which since I'm not the original owner. Resided in Nomar collector "exigussrex" collection prior to mine.

Sorry on late reply been super busy with work & grading club stuff just saw your post.

jeff

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
More BGS slabs scanned. I have several PSA & BGS subs also to scan along with some storage catch up to do as well

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
A few more 1997 Finest slabbed as I work on my various PSA sets . Thanks to Daniel [MENTION=9871]timtom[/MENTION] for the Bronze #10 refractor his looked better than my two did so I sent it in
The base card came from one of my box breaks thought it looked perfect and PSA thought so too :)

Latest posts