Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
rickeyfanatic said:
tpeichel said:
Hendersonfan said:
RL24 said:
1984 MLBPA Pencils Rickey Henderson 7
1984 MLBPA Pencils Rickey Henderson 7 Sharpened

I think there are actually 2 pencils. I don't have either, but I think they have different numbers. Series 1 and 2 I think.

Yep

HENDERSON,RICKEY 1984 MLBPA NAPPCO Pencil 1st Series #14 of 36
HENDERSON,RICKEY 1984 MLBPA NAPPCO Pencil 2nd Series #07 of 18

What is the difference between them? They aren't numbered on the outside..

They are actually numbered on the outside. These are tough things to get good pics of. If you look at the pics on Rickeypedia, I'll describe where the number is the best I can. Starting from the eraser, moving right to left, the first ring of text syas something like "Lilly Lilly", the next ring of text says "Nappco" and the third ring of text is the Series and Number. Then the MLB logo and so on. For years, I had one of the two and never knew the other existed. I saw "the other" up for sale on ebay and I asked the guy to double-check the number on the pencil. Lo and behold it was one I didn't have. Super sweet. So, I do have both. But my pics are actually worse than Dave's.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
So I've always been curious. Who has the biggest collection? Who collects just cards? I collect everything, but started focusing on jerseys (not game worn, but authentic) and different memorabilia. Card wise I started getting picky. With all the different releases I try to grab cards I like the look of or that are semi rare. Older releases also get prioritized. I have seen other collectors unload some cards here and there. I haven't sold/traded anything I didn't have a double of. Who is out of the game? I think I heard Tom (Traplus) and Mike (XSteamerX) are out. I used to have a file with many collector's listing name, address, email but lost it along the years. I used to send Rickey updates to anyone on the list before FB and blogs were popular. Now Brad takes care of that with his page. Also, who has a nice display? I saw Dave has a nice room. We have a room downstairs that is "mine". I'm planning on having movies stored and Rickey/Buckeyes. Trying to figure how to display that cards and memorabilia . Posters and pictures will be hung on wall. Any ideas are welcomed.

Sorry for long unformatted post. I'm tired and began to ramble.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I mostly do cards, but have 7 jerseys(not gu), many oddball items as well. I don't have anything out for display except for 2 autoed balls and 1 autoed picture, and a few SLUs, and McFarlanes. Once the kids are older I'll have 2 bedrooms to mess with, all in good time.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
My collection is rather vast, due to all the CC and JJ cards. I don't have the biggest collection, but the collection I have is TOO big, so... I feel pretty bad for you guys. I guess it probably still makes y'all happy to have a gargantuan collection. I just felt like it became too much work, and not as much fun as it used to be. The person I feel really bad for is jaderock, the brunell collector. He dug up his GU jersey cards, and here they are:

{see next post, the pic messed this post up}

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't know how he does it! I used to go for everything, then I decided I didn't have room for things like SLUs and 7-11 cups. Then one day shipping a bubble mailer went from $.60 to $1.20, and I quit trading and also stopped purchasing base cards on ebay. I have some funny sets, my favorite is a Jason Jennings LCM "base" rainbow. I even have the black, just no base card. :lol: In fact, I have almost all the cards in the set (21/24), I'm missing a black (have 6/7) and a white jersey #/100 which I'm sure I could get from ebay at any time if I'd only keep my eyes open for it... and then that pesky base card.

Anyway, soon I started realizing that a lot of these cards just aren't worth the postage, and did like you, only picked up cards that I really liked or were rare. Then they killed Donruss, and my interest dwindled and dwindled, and I pretty much just started looking for cards to complete old sets, and of course, kept working on the 24 museum. It all worked out well though, I was fully addicted to buying cards off of ebay for a while, as strange as that is. I just couldn't stop. :lol: :? :cry: (<----One or all of those) Then I started a family, as they say, and now I have no money for cards and no worries about ebay addictions. :lol: (or is that one a :cry: ?)

The really good news though, is when I have a mailday, it's a very happy thing. I never feel like "oh boy a whole bunch of work", I just say yipee! and put it in a pile for some rainy day.

The cycle of my collecting life. At first I was bored and couldn't get enough cards in each day. I would take them off my wantlist, put them in protection, and file them into their proper place. Pretty soon I was much more busy, working 70-80 hr weeks, and the bubble mailers would pile up. The pile would get so big, and my spare time so small... all I did was work work work, and coming home and having to do more work sucked.

Wish I could become addicted to selling things on ebay. sigh.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
ManOfSteal said:

I know what you mean.....
IMG_1551.jpg

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I saw that in another thread on here, but it didn't show pictures. I would love you get one of them. I think numbered to 10? I love that Rickey is finally getting some nice releases and seems to be getting respect for the great player he was. During his playing days I always felt he was overlooked for his talent and how good he actually was. Good news is the wedding will be paid off by then so I might have a chance to get one. Wedding gift?

rickeyfan20

Jun 21, 2011
Illinois
Hendersonfan said:
So I've always been curious. Who has the biggest collection? Who collects just cards? I collect everything, but started focusing on jerseys (not game worn, but authentic) and different memorabilia. Card wise I started getting picky. With all the different releases I try to grab cards I like the look of or that are semi rare. Older releases also get prioritized. I have seen other collectors unload some cards here and there. I haven't sold/traded anything I didn't have a double of. Who is out of the game? I think I heard Tom (Traplus) and Mike (XSteamerX) are out. I used to have a file with many collector's listing name, address, email but lost it along the years. I used to send Rickey updates to anyone on the list before FB and blogs were popular. Now Brad takes care of that with his page. Also, who has a nice display? I saw Dave has a nice room. We have a room downstairs that is "mine". I'm planning on having movies stored and Rickey/Buckeyes. Trying to figure how to display that cards and memorabilia . Posters and pictures will be hung on wall. Any ideas are welcomed.

Sorry for long unformatted post. I'm tired and began to ramble.

I've always been more interested in cards more than anything. I have one authentic jersey and a few other oddball pieces. There's a shop near my home that has an autographed bat that he's selling for $100 that I plan on picking up real soon! My main collection though is cards. I'm very sporadic when it comes to my collecting. I'll take years off at a time. I'm just now getting back into it again after a 2-3 year gap. Congrats on the wedding btw!! I'm approaching my one year anniversary this 31st!

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
I think we determined a while ago that Larry had the biggest collection, and he definitely has a bunch of strong prime stuff. Ken has a quite sizable collection as well. An Rickeypedia owner Dave's collection is jawdropping. My current stats:

Unique Rickey Items: 3786
Total Rickey Items: 7533
One-of-Ones: 7
#/5: 6
#/10: 21
77 Chongs: 1 (team set including the rare header card)
80 Topps: 13

I collect just about everything and anything. I have 15 different Rawlings gloves, 5 or 6 bats, some jerseys and tshirts, pins, cups, mugs, posters, etc. I don't collect PSA or graded stuff (unless its a part of an official release), nor do I collect any autos that are not a part of a card manufacturer release (e.g. if someone got a baseball or photo signed by Rickey, I don't buy that). I guess I have to draw a line somewhere. I don't have a room to display. Just a closet full from floor to ceiling.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
Leffer said:
I think we determined a while ago that Larry had the biggest collection, and he definitely has a bunch of strong prime stuff. Ken has a quite sizable collection as well. An Rickeypedia owner Dave's collection is jawdropping. My current stats:

Unique Rickey Items: 3786
Total Rickey Items: 7533
One-of-Ones: 7
#/5: 6
#/10: 21
77 Chongs: 1 (team set including the rare header card)
80 Topps: 13

I collect just about everything and anything. I have 15 different Rawlings gloves, 5 or 6 bats, some jerseys and tshirts, pins, cups, mugs, posters, etc. I don't collect PSA or graded stuff (unless its a part of an official release), nor do I collect any autos that are not a part of a card manufacturer release (e.g. if someone got a baseball or photo signed by Rickey, I don't buy that). I guess I have to draw a line somewhere. I don't have a room to display. Just a closet full from floor to ceiling.

Hey guys. Been super busy, so haven't been posting, but had to interject on this one. Biggest collection? No. But, a very good one if I say so myself though. I don't have an accurate count of my stuff, except for the cards. As of right now, 3532 different cards, some 5 or so more on the way. Have about 30 or so posters, 4 bats, 12 or so baseballs (foto ball etc.) plates, bobble heads (6?) numerous magazines and books (too many, maybe in the 100 range) thousands of newspaper/magazine clippings/articles, a few t-shirts, other odd ball items and a 5000 count box almost full of duplicates. These are very low end, as in I think I have over 200 1991 Upper Deck Rickey cards. Amazingly, no game used items, no jerseys of any kind. Just too darn expensive when I could get fifty cards for the price of one good game used item. Cards are my passion, and I have nowhere to put a jersey. Many of the things are tucked away, hidden from the light of day, waiting until someday I can convince my wife to let me have more rooms on our house! The one thing that didn't get tucked away, and is sitting in my glass display shelf is "The Box". That one is my 1/1 with a great story.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Silver
97PacificSilver.jpg

Light Blue
97PacificLightBlue.jpg

Not sure how much this helps, lol! If you have them both next to each other, you can definitely tell that one is a bright silver, and the other has a slight blue tint to it.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
rickeyfanatic said:
Could one of you guys clarify the differences in the 1997 pacific light blue and silver versions for me? Pics if possible?

The silver is very much silver. The light blue is a silver blue, and if you see them, you can tell the difference.

Baseballbrochure-1.jpg

Siver on bottom, light blue on top.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
"The Box" on display... :lol: That's awesome. I'm sure any guests must ask about it, huh? With your job and all, you could make up some great stories. Like "That's the very box that earned me my Purple Envelope Medal. I was carrying this package through snow, rain, and sleet in the gloom of night when I twisted my ankle...yet that could not stay me from the swift completion of my appointed rounds..."

Hope everybody had a great weekend! Mine was alright, the impending wedding is getting way too close and stressful for anything to really be enjoyable. We had a company picnic and some stables. It smelled like horse poop. I don't really like horses, it's not that I'm afraid of them, it's just that I respect the way they could break me like a twig. Renée had no such fear, she just kept running up these horses and freaking me out. :? She had fun though, so I guess it was worth it to drive 45 minutes up this dirt road (it's been raining every day so it was all rocky and rutty) and it was way farther than we had imagined, and we were crawling along at like 10 MPH, and we almost ran out of gas, and all the while CC was kicking major ass. But I was way up in the mountains so I didn't even have a cell phone signal to get updated that way. I watched it in its glorious entirety last night though, what a game. You know it was a pitchers duel when the game is over and there are still no earned runs...

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Just wanted to remind everyone to watch Rickey on TV tonight! He's playing in the celebrity softball game (they actually played the game last night) which will be on after the Home Run Derby.

Members online

Latest posts