Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Not sure, what other years are there? Could be ‘94? There is little known info on these from what I gather. Would love to learn more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someone has a bunch listed on eBay, the same set as yours, as “early 90’s”….there McGwire, Stewart, LaRussa and Henderson, that I saw

Aren’t I helpful, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Interesting, I went and took a look. The only year Beckett catalogs is 1995, an 8-card set with Van Poppel, these other 6 players below, and McGwire (which I am still missing because it's pricey). I picked up the Van Poppel probably 20 years ago and hadn't seen any others until the below cards popped up on COMC at the same time within the last year for around $5 each. A McGwire also showed up and when I saw it it was around $100 (actually it's still there for that much), but I'm not sure if that was the original price or it was closer to the $5 range and somebody smartly bought it to flip before I spotted it.

95aschpberroa.jpg 95aschpbordick.jpg 95aschpgates.jpg

95aschp.jpg 95aschpprieto.jpg steinbach95aschp.jpg

Where it gets more interesting is that there are some 1996 Padres CHP cards on COMC as well...and while Beckett catalogs 1995 CHP sets for the A's, Padres, and Angels they don't catalog any 1996 CHP baseball cards. So I thought maybe the Rickey (and Dave Stewart and Tony LaRussa that this same seller has) would be from 1996, but Rickey was on the Padres all that season, Stew's last season was 1995, and LaRussa started managing the Cardinals that year, so with this type of set from that time period it's unlikely it'd be 1996. Stewart was in Toronto 93-94 so it wouldn't be those years. So my thought is that there would be 3 possibilities: '91 or '92 (can't be before '91 given the picture), a second "series" of 1995 cards with a different design, or the seller made some custom cards and is trying to pass them off as a legit undiscovered/previously unknown set. The seller has so far sold two Rickeys and has a third up for auction now...

TCDB is of no help as they don't catalog any 1995 or 1996 CHP cards. Edit: Oops they've got the '95s but no '96s.

Last edited:

MrMet2.0

Oct 28, 2021
Here
Interesting, I went and took a look. The only year Beckett catalogs is 1995, an 8-card set with Van Poppel, these other 6 players below, and McGwire (which I am still missing because it's pricey). I picked up the Van Poppel probably 20 years ago and hadn't seen any others until the below cards popped up on COMC at the same time within the last year for around $5 each. A McGwire also showed up and when I saw it it was around $100 (actually it's still there for that much), but I'm not sure if that was the original price or it was closer to the $5 range and somebody smartly bought it to flip before I spotted it.

View attachment 338515 View attachment 338516 View attachment 338517

View attachment 338520 View attachment 338518 View attachment 338519

Where it gets more interesting is that there are some 1996 Padres CHP cards on COMC as well...and while Beckett catalogs 1995 CHP sets for the A's, Padres, and Angels they don't catalog any 1996 CHP baseball cards. So I thought maybe the Rickey (and Dave Stewart and Tony LaRussa that this same seller has) would be from 1996, but Rickey was on the Padres all that season, Stew's last season was 1995, and LaRussa started managing the Cardinals that year, so with this type of set from that time period it's unlikely it'd be 1996. Stewart was in Toronto 93-94 so it wouldn't be those years. So my thought is that there would be 3 possibilities: '91 or '92 (can't be before '91 given the picture), a second "series" of 1995 cards with a different design, or the seller made some custom cards and is trying to pass them off as a legit undiscovered/previously unknown set. The seller has so far sold two Rickeys and has a third up for auction now...

TCDB is of no help as they don't catalog any 1995 or 1996 CHP cards.

TCDB has your set on it…

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
Ah thanks for spotting that, guess I missed it because it was called "Police." Looks like they have the 1995 Padres set as well, but not the 1996.

A guy on FB asked me the following about the Rickey: “Was this the one that was never released? I always get 94 and 95 mixed up. One of the years was printed but never given out. Congrats on an awesome pickup!”

Maybe that is the mystery!

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A guy on FB asked me the following about the Rickey: “Was this the one that was never released? I always get 94 and 95 mixed up. One of the years was printed but never given out. Congrats on an awesome pickup!”

Maybe that is the mystery!

That would make sense if it was printed but never given out, kind of like some series of the 1994 A's Target Pogs. In addition it could be possible that it was a 1994 set that featured "A's greats" and that would account for Dave Stewart being in it even though he was on the Jays that year.

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
That would make sense if it was printed but never given out, kind of like some series of the 1994 A's Target Pogs. In addition it could be possible that it was a 1994 set that featured "A's greats" and that would account for Dave Stewart being in it even though he was on the Jays that year.

Might explain how crazy it was to find over the years as well.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
I haven't posted in a while, but I've got these coming to me in the mail:

2022 Panini Diamond Kings Bat Kings Purple (SN2) only available in the First Off The Line (FOTL) boxes.
2022 Topps Series 1 Welcome to the Show Auto (SN10)
...plus some other fun stuff
22 panini diamond kings bat kings purple FOTL (2) 1f.JPG22 topps series 1 welcome to the show auto (10) 2f.jpg

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
I haven't posted in a while, but I've got these coming to me in the mail:

2022 Panini Diamond Kings Bat Kings Purple (SN2) only available in the First Off The Line (FOTL) boxes.
2022 Topps Series 1 Welcome to the Show Auto (SN10)
...plus some other fun stuff
View attachment 338667View attachment 338668

Your epic collection just gets better by the day! Amazing as always.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
Milestone Reached! (or maybe just an excuse to post :) ). Today I received in the mail my 1300thcard with a Rickey game-used memorabilia relic (i.e. manufactured relics not included). Here's the breakdown ("multiple" indicates that there are more than one swatch on the card, sometimes his... sometimes other players... like the one I just received):

Shoe = 2
Batting Glove = 2
Hat = 4
Jacket = 10
Pants = 14
Bat = 186
Jersey = 487
Multiple = 595
Total = 1300

21 leaf lumber legendary lineups mccovey (9) 8fhave.jpg

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
Anyone ever see this actual card (i.e. not the redemption card but the actual card)? Topps had all sorts of fulfillment problems back in 2011-2014 and I'm wondering if this card ever actually got produced and distributed.

14 topps heritage clubhouse collection dual auto relic redemption card (10) 3.jpg

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
OK, so I guess I'll try and hunt that one down. But, also had a huge mail day today which put me over the top of another milestone. I now have reached 3000 total Rickey items that have a serial number on them. Here's the breakdown: (it also shows those that have a stated print run but aren't serial numbered). Onward to 4000! (and closing in on the 1000 mark for "25 or less") :)

Serial Numbered.JPG

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
OK, so I guess I'll try and hunt that one down. But, also had a huge mail day today which put me over the top of another milestone. I now have reached 3000 total Rickey items that have a serial number on them. Here's the breakdown: (it also shows those that have a stated print run but aren't serial numbered). Onward to 4000! (and closing in on the 1000 mark for "25 or less") :)

View attachment 339127

Legendary.

Members online

Latest posts