Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
Ugh... here is a shockingly bad stat that you should never calculate. But my curiosity got the best of me. I've been on ebay since Jan 1998 -- over 25 years. I have received feedback on 4,241 purchases (I've undoubtedly made more, but let's just use that as a point of reference). Postage today is much higher than it used to be, so let's just say I AVERAGED $3 in postage per purchase. That means I've spent well over $12,700 JUST IN POSTAGE!!! Yuck. Such a ton of money that could've undoubtedly been put to better usage. My tombstone certainly won't say I was "thrifty" or "good with money". :-|

abide

Apr 29, 2021
Ugh... here is a shockingly bad stat that you should never calculate. But my curiosity got the best of me. I've been on ebay since Jan 1998 -- over 25 years. I have received feedback on 4,241 purchases (I've undoubtedly made more, but let's just use that as a point of reference). Postage today is much higher than it used to be, so let's just say I AVERAGED $3 in postage per purchase. That means I've spent well over $12,700 JUST IN POSTAGE!!! Yuck. Such a ton of money that could've undoubtedly been put to better usage. My tombstone certainly won't say I was "thrifty" or "good with money". :-|
that's the same math to figure out how much a smoker wastes, who smokes 2 packs a week for 25 years at an average of $4 / pack = 2x4x25x52 = $10,400 and
if it's 2 packs a day becomes $72,800
or someone who must have a fancy $6 cup of coffee at Starbucks daily ... 1x6x25x365 = $54,750

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Rickey is definitely the King of Cameos. After adding this one, I have 53 unique cameos (no parallels) and I am likely missing some.
Not counting parallels, I have 90ish Ryno cameos. Some may fall into the Cameo Compulsion category. With parallels, there are well over 100 thanks to some modern cameos. We won't even get into Cameo Delusions.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Not counting parallels, I have 90ish Ryno cameos. Some may fall into the Cameo Compulsion category. With parallels, there are well over 100 thanks to some modern cameos. We won't even get into Cameo Delusions.
Yes, Ryno has a lot too. I have 46 unique for him. I would be curious to see your list.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
OK.... seeing if anyone knows this. There are two variations of the Rickey Henderson Sports Illustrated poster - some catalogs show these as 1986, some as 1985 and some as 1987. The difference between the two is the appearance or absence of the Yankees logo in the upper right corner. Any ideas which version was produced in which year?

86 sports illustrated poster 2.jpg86 sports illustrated poster 1.jpg

To add a little more intrigue, the 1986 "Test Sticker" which was applied next to the poster stand so you could know what the rolled up poster looked like before buying it) shows the Yankees logo. So I am inclined to think the one without the logo was produced late in 1985, and then the one with the log was produced in 1986. Thoughts? Anyone got any more concrete evidence?

86 sports illustrated poster test sticker 7f.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oh man. I've thought about this in passing over the years, but I usually just put my fingers in my ears and start rocking forward and backward, chanting nonsense. And that was fine for me.

But then you just HAD to go put numbers on it. Now I feel 17% less good about myself than I did before I read this post. Damn you! :)

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
OK.... seeing if anyone knows this. There are two variations of the Rickey Henderson Sports Illustrated poster - some catalogs show these as 1986, some as 1985 and some as 1987. The difference between the two is the appearance or absence of the Yankees logo in the upper right corner. Any ideas which version was produced in which year?

View attachment 350165View attachment 350166

To add a little more intrigue, the 1986 "Test Sticker" which was applied next to the poster stand so you could know what the rolled up poster looked like before buying it) shows the Yankees logo. So I am inclined to think the one without the logo was produced late in 1985, and then the one with the log was produced in 1986. Thoughts? Anyone got any more concrete evidence?

View attachment 350167
I have no idea why I have my Rynos catalogued this way, but I have one for 1985 and the other for 1987. But I also have the test sticker labeled as 1987.

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
There were some posters also made in 1987... I think a Winfield has like a small red border around the picture (inside the white frame). I have seen them catalogued several different ways... hoping someone knows the TRUTH. :)

Members online

Latest posts