Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rolling Brett Butler collection thread: Marlins game-worn uniform 8-10-16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
These have piled up over the past few months. Since I moved out of my old house last year, I feel like I can never stay caught up. Very frustrating.

First up is a 1993 Bowman match print photo, plus the card it was used to make:

bowman93toppsvault_F422.jpg
bowman93toppsvault_B422.jpg
bowman93_F422.jpg

Next are some color separation proofs from 1994 Stadium Club:

Cyan/Yellow, followed by Magenta/Yellow
stadium94TVCY_F121.jpg
stadium94TVCY_B121.jpg
stadium94TVMY_F121.jpg
stadium94TVMY_B121.jpg

Last up is the original camera-ready paste up for his 1986 Topps Super

topps86superpasteup_B18.jpg

which goes great with this separate piece, also from 1986 Topps Super. It is a color separation film positive and was used to produce the yellow tones in the final card image.

topps86superproof_F18.jpg

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I love these two and wonder why they're not more popular. I actually think Topps should get these graded before selling them - for protective and authenticity purposes.

The match print photo, I think, is used to make sure the printing process for the card is OK kind of like a test run - its not like a negative or positive and is more like a proof (but someone correct me if I'm wrong). I love the paste-ups, especially for '86 because its back design is so classic.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Yeah, love the Topps vault stuff they offer. Pretty sure everything comes with 1/1 hologram on them. Cards come in sealed holders with 1/1 holo on back.
Panini and Leaf need to start selling contracts and stuff like that. A lot of collectors love this odd ball stuff. Nice little revenue stream to help pay the bills.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
TNP777: Thanks so much for posting your Topps Vault pickups for Butler. I'm basically a single player collector and since I started collecting I have been drawn to the unique type items like those that the Vault offers. Do you have a favorite item from Topps Vault which you purchased?

I'm not sure about grading the items, like uniquebaseballcards mentioned, but I would like to see them put the match print photos in holders as well like they do with the cards. It would be nice to have the cards encased with a description of the item as well.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
TNP777: Thanks so much for posting your Topps Vault pickups for Butler. I'm basically a single player collector and since I started collecting I have been drawn to the unique type items like those that the Vault offers. Do you have a favorite item from Topps Vault which you purchased?
I'm a big fan of the various color separation proofs, but I think my favorite is the '86 Super film positive (last picture in the original post).

Here is some of my other Topps Vault stuff:

topps84tradedblacklessproof_F.jpg
topps84tradedMCproof_F.jpg
topps84tradedBWproof_F.jpg
topps84tradedMYproof_F.jpg

topps84tradedCYproof_F.jpg
topps85cyanproof_F637.jpg
topps85magentaproof_F637.jpg

Last edited:

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
WoW...love those color separations! Do you know if there are five color separations or are there more. I believe on the older cards there were eight if I'm not mistaken; at least on some of the cards. Yeah...I can see why you'd like the film postive the best. Do you know if they used film postives on the older cards, like 6

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
WoW...love those color separations! Do you know if there are five color separations or are there more. I believe on the older cards there were eight if I'm not mistaken; at least on some of the cards. Yeah...I can see why you'd like the film postive the best. Do you know if they used film postives on the older cards, like 6
I have the full color blank back proof for '84 as well, but you can see from the two '85s that I am missing the straight magenta and cyan examples for '84. I missed out on buying them by maybe 10 minutes. I remember that they were available as a pair, and went for a $12.99 BIN. I'm still hoping they might show up one day.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
That's a shame on the other separations; it would be nice to have them all and would make a really cool display. Of course you have five so that's more than I have of any Brooksie card! Do you know if there are other Butler collectors? Maybe they picked up the other two... Hopefully it will come up one day.

Have there been anything available from Topps on his rookie stuff, i.e. transparency, proofs, seperations, etc.?

Have there been any newer stuff coming out with Brett in the set? I know with Brooks he's in a ton of stuff. I really don't collect the newer items, but I do pick em' up now and then if I like the picture; just too many though to really try to get the majority and cost prohibited as well. There's more that come out then all of the cards produced when he was playing...

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
That's a shame on the other separations; it would be nice to have them all and would make a really cool display. Of course you have five so that's more than I have of any Brooksie card! Do you know if there are other Butler collectors? Maybe they picked up the other two... Hopefully it will come up one day.

Have there been anything available from Topps on his rookie stuff, i.e. transparency, proofs, seperations, etc.?

Have there been any newer stuff coming out with Brett in the set? I know with Brooks he's in a ton of stuff. I really don't collect the newer items, but I do pick em' up now and then if I like the picture; just too many though to really try to get the majority and cost prohibited as well. There's more that come out then all of the cards produced when he was playing...
Yes, I really hope those other two '84 separations show up. There used to be at least one other fairly serious Butler collector when I first got on the interwebs in 1997, but he dropped off the face of the earth a few years later. I don't think he grabbed them. However, if anyone knows a former collector by the name of Terry Tu, let him know I want to to talk! :)

Nothing available from his rookie year... yet. I'm hopeful.

After Fan Favorites in '04 and Retired Signatures in '05, there was a seven-year gap until he next appeared. This year's Archives set yielded an autograph and a SPed high number in the base set. I bought a handful of the autographs and plan to have to them individually inscribed later this month when I drive down to Fresno to see the Aces play the Grizzlies. Time (and his patience) permitting, I'll have at least one memorabilia piece ('83 Braves GU jersey), and maybe another that I'm negotiating on right now.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Would be great to hook up with the former collector. I know I got kind of discouraged for a while with collecting and didn't really pick up anything for a few years, maybe he's the same way or got out of it all together. Would be nice to have an opportunity to pick up items from a former collector!

That sounds like good news on the rookie stuff; maybe Topps still has some interesting items left to list...

Let me know about the GU pieces; those would be awesome!!!

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Don't know if you'd be interested, but there's a 1991 Topps AUTOGRAPHED Baseball Card Contract of Brett Butler on thetoppsvault... Just wanted to give you a heads up if you didn't already know about it.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Thanks for the heads up, Mark. I hadn't seen it yet, but I normally check for new stuff a couple times a day. It would have popped up on my radar at some point!

If I win it, it'll be the 3rd Topps contract in my collection.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Really cool additions. I pick up my guys when something really interests me but for the most part have stayed away from them.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Really cool additions. I pick up my guys when something really interests me but for the most part have stayed away from them.
Thanks!

There are a TON more Erstad, Clark and Murray cards out there to chase, so you can 'afford' to be choosy in what you pick up. I'm at the point in my Butler collection that I'm willing to pick up damn near anything that pops up. I've been chasing the same handful of cards for years now, and I sometimes wonder if they'll ever show up. In the meantime, when oddities from the TV show up I'm all over them.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011

Man...I have enough money issues having one PC, but several; I don't think I could do it and/or afford it. I guess you'd have to be fairly picky when it comes to picking up items from thetoppsvault for mulitiple players. I LOVED Murray when he played...excellent choice to collect!

TNP777...I'd like to pick up one of those Topps contracts. I'd like to hold out for an old one if possible. Care to do some scans of the two you have?!?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
TNP777...I'd like to pick up one of those Topps contracts. I'd like to hold out for an old one if possible. Care to do some scans of the two you have?!?
Ask, and ye shall receive. Today's mail brought in my third Topps contract, signed in 1991. The three contracts account for nine straight years of Butler cards: 1988 through 1997.

The last scan is not from Topps, but it is a contract... and I love showing it off.

TNP777/Brett Butler memorabilia/toppscontract1988_1000x764.jpg

TNP777/Brett Butler memorabilia/toppscontract1991_1000x764.jpg

TNP777/Brett Butler memorabilia/toppscontract1994_1000x764.jpg

TNP777/Brett Butler memorabilia/AAtoAAAcontract_1000X764.jpg

Last edited:

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Ok...those Topps contracts are way cool... BUT...the last contract is over the top; care to give further details?!?

Oh...and love the signed jersey in the other posts; CONGRATS!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Ok...those Topps contracts are way cool... BUT...the last contract is over the top; care to give further details?!?
Mark, the first time I saw the contract was in 2004 on eBay. I threw a late $100 bid on it and didn't have the stones to go higher when the bid was eclipsed. Fast forward to June 2009. Our of the blue, a thread pops up on the PSA boards, and I sent the OP a quick PM. He almost immediately offered to sell it to me for what he paid, $125.85 shipped. I couldn't get the check written fast enough!

Members online